By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - SONY own Australia

Crunch the numbers yourself ...

Sony claimed 27,000 PS3 systems were sold in the first 10 days of the PS3's launch; it has been 14 weeks since the PS3's launch and now they're claiming a total of 50,000 units. This means that they have averaged 3,571.4 systems per week including the launch and 1,289.5 systems per week not including the launch.

Nintendo claimed 32,000 systems in their launch week were sold and it has been 29 weeks and 2 days since their launch; they have claimed that they have sold an additional 68,000 systems since then. This works out to being 3,414.6 systems per week including the launch and 2,404.0 systems per week not including the launch.

The PS3 should have a massive advantage in the non-launch numbers because (typically) a system has much higher average weekly sales for a while after launch than they have 6 months in; and yet its average weekly sales (outside of launch) are noticeably lower than the Wii. The likely hood that the PS3 is outselling the Wii on a weekly basis is pretty small, and it should be obvious why the PS3 will not break 100,000 units faster than the Wii.

Around the Network
cebrian said:
Gamerace said:
finalsquall said:
 Also as the artical says. Harvey Norman ( major multi-store) is selling ps3 as blue ray players.

Folks, could it be that since stores like Harvey Norman are selling the PS3 as a blu-ray player (not as a game system) then the gtf numbers are correct and ioi's are off because he's not tracking those type of stores?

Irregardless, if the PS3 is successing on the basis of Blu-ray sales, then it's highly questionable if that's actually a success story for Sony.  They lose money on every system sold and blu-ray sales will only dilute the game sales.  What's the value of being the top selling system with the lowest attach rate? 

IOI's numbers are not off, he is within the acceptable range +-5%... of what Sony's PR said.

and for Diomedes too, Wii's numbers are also within the range (of what Sony and Nintendo said), so whyo d you say they need adjustment?

I think the weekly charts are really accurate specially for those smaller markets like Australia.

Well, if IOI's numbers are correct, and they certainly seem to be, I can only assume Sony is averaging out their sales out over a weekly basis, and not using an actual week by week breakdown.

HappySqurriel said:

Crunch the numbers yourself ...

Sony claimed 27,000 PS3 systems were sold in the first 10 days of the PS3's launch; it has been 14 weeks since the PS3's launch and now they're claiming a total of 50,000 units. This means that they have averaged 3,571.4 systems per week including the launch and 1,289.5 systems per week not including the launch.

Nintendo claimed 32,000 systems in their launch week were sold and it has been 29 weeks and 2 days since their launch; they have claimed that they have sold an additional 68,000 systems since then. This works out to being 3,414.6 systems per week including the launch and 2,404.0 systems per week not including the launch.

The PS3 should have a massive advantage in the non-launch numbers because (typically) a system has much higher average weekly sales for a while after launch than they have 6 months in; and yet its average weekly sales (outside of launch) are noticeably lower than the Wii. The likely hood that the PS3 is outselling the Wii on a weekly basis is pretty small, and it should be obvious why the PS3 will not break 100,000 units faster than the Wii.

What? Don't bring facts and logic into the discussion. You should just accept everything Sony says and not analyze it at all. 

DKII said:
finalsquall - It's nothing personal, it's just the people on this site are sick of Sony fanboys constantly coming in here every week or two and posting big long demands that the PS3 numbers be increased massively because some tiny shipment figures mean the PS3 must've sold better than it really has. It gets tiring to deal with over and over again.

Same here. I was about to say, that every week PS fanboys opening topics and demanding to change the sales on the frontpage for the PS3. But luckily you did that, as member of VGChartz ;) I was personally so honest enough to open a topic and to ask how come the sale figures from Nintendo for the WII we're much lower in a resent news topic, then on here AND on other websites, but people explained to me they mentioned the fiscal year numbers *dumb*.

From what I can see comparing to other sites as well, and especially sales given by a Media Create and Famitsu for Japan, the PS3 as well the WII and DS sales, are about the same.

This profile is no longer in use, see my other profile *~Onna76~*

Don't you think if Sony was making up GfK figures that the GfK people would bring this up? Think about it...

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

Around the Network

This is a funny thread.

Its very simple and shown before. PS3 launched on March 31 in Australia. That means it has been out for about 12 weeks. So for the first 11 weeks it outsold both the Wii and 360 in weekly sales. Now on the 12 week Wii has outsold the PS3 just as it has in nearly every other location in the world. Except maybe Uganda. The unlike Europe that received 1m units all at once. Australia received 'normal' shipments and it took a few weeks for the initial demand to be saturated. Now, it will continue to sell at PS3 levels which are far below Wii.

All the fanboys need to quit the overzealous attempts at either glorifying this pitty 50k or calling it a bunch of lies and fodder. It's just Sony PR, just like Nintendo's from a week ago when they showed the fastest ever to hit the 100k point in Australia.

What will be impressive is if the PS3 can get to the 100k level before Wii did.

I don't understand why fishquall says the word "newbie" so much.

I told him I don't care...he can have 1000 posts under his belt, that doesn't mean I'm not going to call him out on his fanboyism.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Considering that this thread has gone off a hill, why hasn't it been locked yet?
Sony PR vs. VGC (No link to Gfk). We get it.

finalsquall said:
BenKenobi88 said:
Yeah, the numbers aren't bad for Sony, but people are trying to skew them and say it's beating the Wii and 360...or whatever.

I don't care if finalsquall's a newbie. If you're going to come in here telling us numbers and information that is obviously false, and not listen to what we have to say...of course things are going to get heated.

Listen to what we have to say...being wrong about something doesn't make you stupid...but blindly following your own obviously wrong idea without reading any criticism is stupid.

Hmm, aren't we a protective bunch.  I think too many ppl need their happy pills.  I didn't quote numbers, make false info or give my calulations on this matter?  All I said was that I believe the ps3 is doing well and that once the blue ray market picks up in Australia then the ps3 will sell more. I think I know how ppl in my country work.

I know alot of ppl think that because Australia has small numbers we not gamers etc. I'll tell you what. We are big comsumers and we pay more than other countries. A $1000au ps3 is expensive but we tend to break it down ie like oh it has blue ray player which is around $1000au, it has gaming, online etc. We don't bitch and moan about it.

The fact is the ppl complaining against me, Your post are boring ( you know it all wannbes). So your big geeks on this forum, but don't push a way new ppl.  I might not be into creating stats etc,( I do like reading it). But get over yourself.  Most of your created stats or foresight don't evenually add up. 

I'm very dissapointed in some ppl on this site.  I play online games as a Veteran player. So I know how this newbie shit goes. Just get over it. Get your head out of your arses and grow up.  I won't be recommending people to this site if it is like this. :P

Spoken like a true man

mM

Just to reiterate, so no one forgets: Sony, Nintendo and VGC are reporting similar total sales.

Nintendo said last week they've sold 100K. Sony said this week they've sold 50K. VGC has 103K and 47K. Those are very accurate numbers. Ioi should get a pat on the back.

What the hell do people expect ioi to change? He ended up with the right numbers. He has the same numbers as Sony and Nintendo within a few thousand. Does anyone really think ioi happened to get the right LTD totals through a series of grossly inaccurate weekly numbers which somehow evened out?

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.