By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - SONY own Australia

From Australia here. I know 3 families with a Wii, one with a 360 who is currently borrowing a Wii from someone because the wife and kids wanted one, and no one I know with a PS3... I'm from an older 35+ age group with kids as well as my friends, so that may explain it from my perspective

Around the Network

Eledee's is out ^^^ i've seen it a few times, but it was a very small shipment I believe.

I know of 1 person with a PS3 here, that was a friends friends brother... but that friend I think will buy one more soon, most likely.

I know of 6 or 7 people with Wii's if not more... i know they are a little sick of it now though, so I don't know how well that will fair for it in the long term.

Rath said:
stof said:
Well said OriGin!

As for the numbers themselves, I'm suprised by the neck and neck sales of the 360 and Wii. So what is the case in Australia, is the 360 selling better there? or is the Wii selling worse?

As a Kiwi I would say its because Australia is the 51st state of America. Partly because I enjoy antagonising Aussies and partly because at the current moment in time Australia is trying very hard to become firm friends with America. Australias buying trends I think you will find in general follow those of America.

That's Bull Sheep :P  J/k's Come on Rath you love us Aussies.  If Australia is the 51st State of the USA then What does that make NZ - the last state of Australia! I live in Brisbane Au and I'll tell you what there are more NZ's here then anywhere else :P we like family :P

Unleash The Beast!  

End of 2011 Sales: Wii = 90mil, 360 = 61mil, PS3= 60mil

I hate NZ'ers accents, one of a few accents I can't stand.

Replacing e's for i's can be very annoying.

As for being all over Brisbane,
I don't blame them, If I lived in NZ I'd move to AUS asap aswell.

What's wrong with their accent! It's Not like they can't say simple sentence like "Can I have $6 fish and chips?":P hehe

Unleash The Beast!  

End of 2011 Sales: Wii = 90mil, 360 = 61mil, PS3= 60mil

Around the Network

there are two ways this info can be true;

1. the weekly sales for the Wii were actually higher before PS3 launch than VGC says, and equally lower after the launch (so it evens out to about 100k) this seems highly unlikely.

2. the launch week/month for PS3 was actually lower than VGC said, and thus the weeks after were higher to make it up to 50k. also very unlikely (especially with sony's launches generally being huge in non US/Jap areas)

it could be a combination of both as well, but i still doubt it very much.....more likely the "untill last week" thing was an error or some wierd kind of spin.

from seeing the charts Origin posted though i have become interested in the areas of consumer interest in the 360, for instance it only seems to do any good in the English speaking areas particularly Americanised areas (US, Australia and UK, though i didn't think Aus was that Americanised).

It also seems to do well in Scandanavia....from my expirience in Stockholm (a relatively warm Scandanavian place) i know it is very cold there.....could the 360 be doing better because the failure rates due to overheating are lower in this cold climate?

i know that is bunk because no one will be playing video games outside but it seems funny that Scandanavia is the one non English area the 360 does well (percentage wise)

picsouuu said:

i think some people have to change some numbers from australia(europe too)

ps3 outsold wii and 360 in australia

http://uk.gamespot.com/news/6173349.html

maybe gfk and npd(may chart?) lie...

According to the last couple weeks sales in Australia... the PS3 sales have dropped off and the Wii is now selling better. All we were seeing is the same thing that happened in Europe, the PS3 was introduced recently and sold well... now that most people who really wanted one and had the money for one picked it up, it's sales have dropped back. Whether it can beat the Wii's 100,000 sold mark in the same amount of time is the big question.

-edit- Then again...  Sony may have announced Shipped as Sold again...  that wouldn't be that big of a suprise to anyone... would it?  I mean it would make sense...  store owners ordered fewer PS3's then Wii's last week to clear stored stock first??

Prepare for termination! It is the only logical thing to do, for I am only loyal to Megatron.

oh, so, there are 2 australias. 1 of which ArtofAngels reside and the other finalsquall. interesting...

DarkNight_DS said:
picsouuu said:

i think some people have to change some numbers from australia(europe too)

ps3 outsold wii and 360 in australia

http://uk.gamespot.com/news/6173349.html

maybe gfk and npd(may chart?) lie...

According to the last couple weeks sales in Australia... the PS3 sales have dropped off and the Wii is now selling better. All we were seeing is the same thing that happened in Europe, the PS3 was introduced recently and sold well... now that most people who really wanted one and had the money for one picked it up, it's sales have dropped back. Whether it can beat the Wii's 100,000 sold mark in the same amount of time is the big question.

-edit- Then again... Sony may have announced Shipped as Sold again... that wouldn't be that big of a suprise to anyone... would it? I mean it would make sense... store owners ordered fewer PS3's then Wii's last week to clear stored stock first??

Isn't it obvious what Sony announced?

- say the Wii sold 50,001 units - up to the day that the PS3 launched

- say that the PS3 sold 50,000 units from launch day until now

- say that the Wii sold 49,999 units from the PS3 launch day until now

- (and most important) say that the PS3 sold 25,000 units on LAUNCH day

Conclusions:

- Sony's press statement is still "true" - the PS3 has "outsold" the Wii since the PS3 launch

- The Wii can outsell the PS3 every week, except for launch week (and give or take a couple of weeks after it)

- Now that the Wii has caught up the PS3, the Sony statement is no longer true (hence the "except for last week").

They never say the PS3 has been outselling the Wii on a weekly basis. Cumulative sales since PS3 launch only.

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099