By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - VGC-er Comes Through! $199.99 Arcade Price Near-Confirmed!

This will be huge--mass market price in its' best market. Sales will go up substantially, on both the Arcade and the Pro.

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."
Around the Network

er., if this is true, then the 360 becomes cheaper than the wii right?

isn't that.. gonna overturn the trends?

BTW, this would make the 360 significantly cheaper in USA than in Europe again.

Even after adding VAT, $199 would currently equal about 150 €, which is near the price of a DS over here. $299 would equal 230 €, or less than a Wii, and $399 would equal 300 €, 25% cheaper than a PS3.

I wonder if a similar price cut will happen for Europe too.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

It will be $50 cheaper than the Wii in the United States, as the Wii retails for $249.99.

Currently, the cheapest next-gen console (aside the Wii) is the Xbox 360 Arcade at $279.99...Which as of this post, is dropping $80 to $199.99

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

goddog said:

@skeeuk, since last fall the manufacturer can sue a retailer if they offer it at a different price than msrp. thank our supreme court for that gem. but as mrstickball said, it is very rare, and normaly only after production has ended that you find a console or a game below the msrp, most game contracts for sellers include rebates if the game becomes discounted as long as they stick to the msrp, which the publisher issuse, they will lower it to move bad games. there is generaly a right off point, and mom and pop operations dont always get the same protection.

http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=104&STORY=/www/story/06-28-2007/0004617822&EDATE=

link to mention of SCOTUS price fixing ruling 

I guess this does not work the same in Canada, because last boxing day some stores were selling the PSP, PS2, DS and it might of been the 360 for under their MSRP price.  I know wal-mart all the time sells systems for under the MSRP price, most times it only a couple of dollars, but still under.

Around the Network
NJ5 said:
BTW, this would make the 360 significantly cheaper in USA than in Europe again.

Even after adding VAT, $199 would currently equal about 150 €, which is near the price of a DS over here. $299 would equal 230 €, or less than a Wii, and $399 would equal 300 €, 25% cheaper than a PS3.

I wonder if a similar price cut will happen for Europe too.

I really doubt that Microsoft will drop the price in Europe further. My theory is that the price drop Europe saw wasn't a reaction to the falling dollar, but a reaction to the rising Playstation 3 sales. After all, RockBand is insanely overpriced in Europe ---- Why wouldn't the X360 be as well? (ie 1:1 ratio between US dollar price and Euro price).

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Rock Band is pretty much a special case, that's not even 1:1 as far as I remember.

In Europe, Rock Band costs almost the same as a Wii, is that the case in USA?

PS: I agree with you that there probably won't be a big price drop in Europe, perhaps even none.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

@griffin, i bet walmart talks to and gets aproval for those prices cause they do the same crap here, it might be even just 1 penny cheaper so they can claim the best price, but as for canada, cant say they are not covered by our federal legal system 

come play minecraft @  mcg.hansrotech.com

minecraft name: hansrotec

XBL name: Goddog

Well, this should really swing momentum towards the 360, I wonder whether Sony will respond, because that is shortly after Sony are going to be bringing out the 80GB, so maybe they will offer that at a lower price

NJ5 said:
Rock Band is pretty much a special case, that's not even 1:1 as far as I remember.

In Europe, Rock Band costs almost the same as a Wii, is that the case in USA?

PS: I agree with you that there probably won't be a big price drop in Europe, perhaps even none.

Yeah Rock Band is $180 over here and the Wii $250 so a $70 difference. Pretty close but a bit cheaper.

Another good thing to consider is, with the 20 GB becomming obsolete, the standalone 20 GB hard drives will see a dip in auction price on eBay. You can already get one for about $50, which is half of retail. Following this, it'll probably go down to about $30-40 so essentially you can have the old Pro for $230-240. Not a bad deal at all.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.