By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Importance of Exclusivity

THIS IS NOT A FLAMEBAIT THREAD! KEEP THE UNDERHANDED REMARKS TO YOUR SELF!!!

Ok this is starting to drive me crazy! Ever since E3( well before it but most apparent now) and it's bombshell anouncement of PS3's most cherished exclusive going multiplat the InterWeb has been of the verge of implosion.  I have surfed countless threads and the like only to hear garbage theories being spewed over the internet. Now I am not all knowing of the gaming industry, but I do think Exclusives are VERY much still important, if not MOST important.

Exclusives, at least to me, set the bar on how to make a GREAT game for a console. Regardless if u believe that the PS3 is more powerful this generation or not (even though it has been prooven quite a few times) we all can agree that game systems excell at different things.  To say anything otherwise I find to be blantantly ignorant. Xbox360 does things better than the PS3 just as the PS3 does things better than the 360. This cannot be avoided as the only way to stop this differenciation is to make the systems identical (which breaks copyright laws) so that is out of the question. So far in this gaming generation we have only seen the 360's potential mostly. Majority of the games were exclusive to 360 in the begining of this console war simply because it was out first, and cheaper to make. Yet this still alowed developers to take advantage of the 360's hardware.

Now that all of the 360's big exclusives have past, only thing left for M$ is to countlessly steal PS3's. I have seen quite a few originally PS titles go multiplat this gen (Devil May Cry, GTA, etc). These are games that PS fans have grown up with on their system line. Now seeing as how big GTA is and the manner of how they play, I did not expect any kind of brand loyalty from them whatsoever. They were always out to make a quick buck with their controversial products. Yet I cannot help but feel that GTAIV is a shodow of what it COULD have been. If the game had of stayed exclusive we would have seen a much bigger and in turn better game. Blu Ray needs no explanation on how it offers that.

I specifically invested in a nxt gen system to see levels of gaming that have never been reached prior to this one. As long as these companies continue to go MultiPlat I will never see this day.

And as far as FFXIII.....

I have lost all love for this game. Not becuz it is no longer EXCLUSIVE, i dont like the direction of downsizing a potentially spectacular game just so u can make more money. And this whole FFXIII is better for business if it goes MultiPlat is BS! Now the game CANNOT, i repeat, CANNOT fully take on the PS3's specs as SE reps have said that the games on both systems will be "IDENTICAL". In an essence, we ALL have lost a game that would have blown our minds, now instead will only slightly peak our interests.

360 Fanboys and MultiPlat...

Many 360 owners rejoice at this whole idea of multiplat. They don't want to shell out the cash for the PS3's numerous exclusives, yet if you ask nicely will admit they WERE GOING TO because of their most synonomous franchises. You only praise this trend because it means you are getting most of OUR great material (which are no longer great really seeing as they are weaker games now). If MultiPlat is SOOOO GREAT than why doesnt PS3 get Mass Effect, Halo, Fable, etc? They are all 3rd Party stuff and free to do as they please. It would surely make them more money right? Wrong! The only reason PS3 stuff is going MultiPlat is MS's deep pockets. There is no EXTRA money to be made from going multiplat as anyone who was ever trully interested in a developers game would have bought the system it was exclusive too. This was proven as most 360 posters on forums respond as "YAY! now I DONT have to buy a PS3!". Which entails they were going to originally for said game or whatever have you. If Halo were to miraculously go MultiPlat on PS3, would they make a heap more money? NO! becuz the fanbase is entirely on the 360! and they baught it on that one already. All multiplat does is divide the fanbase on two dif systems which ushers in less actual console sales as owners only need ONE to play most things now. How is that GOOD for PS3 and 360? I hear the "It gets the company more money" excuse alot. Now insead of seeing what we did last gen with PS2 at 150mil and Xbox at 30mil, we get to see PS3(50mill) and 360(50mill) which means less revenue then last gen. Gamers should be FORCED to buy BOTH or ALL systems in order to get any real experience with a particular game. And I strongly believe(warning: Opinion) that it is MS is single handedly hindering the advancement of video games. The only thing GOOD out of this for anyone is MS fuckin up PS3 sales to keep them from being dominant once again.

Thoughts?

Greatness Awaits

PSN:Forevercloud (looking for Soul Sacrifice Partners!!!)

Around the Network

Just a bit of advice, when you are trying to not make a flamebait thread, it is a good idea to not make comments that are obvious flamebait.

I give this thread a 9.2.

Thank god for the disable signatures option.

|Y|A|O|I|
¯¯¯¯¯¯My anti-drug™

If you're spending $20 to $100+ Million to develop a game for the HD consoles you're likely going to target as large of a userbase as you possibly can ... In other words, the kind of "Default Exclusivity" that the PS2 had will not be repeated for the HD consoles in this generation.

I have to agree with most of it. Microsoft does hinder development, the 360 is a strong system but it can't handle high perfomance PS3 stuff. We could have got a better FF XIII if not this multiplat crap.

Around the Network
Incandescence said:

Profcrab said:
Just a bit of advice, when you are trying to not make a flamebait thread, it is a good idea to not make comments that are obvious flamebait.

I give this thread a 9.2.

wow

missed u rating threads

HappySqurriel said:

If you're spending $20 to $100+ Million to develop a game for the HD consoles you're likely going to target as large of a userbase as you possibly can ... In other words, the kind of "Default Exclusivity" that the PS2 had will not be repeated for the HD consoles in this generation.

Ok I didnt say the cost of developing a game is not high, Im just saying that their fanbase does not exponentialy increase just becuz it is spread accross all platforms.  GTAIV, if it had stayed exclusive, would have sold alot, but little to no difference if it was multiplat. Lets just say it sold 10mill on PS3 exclusively. When it went multiplat it went like 360(6mil) and PS3(4mil). No real change in sales, just split up.

And thank u for not being an A**Hole Fanboy spouting garbage. Appreciate it.

Greatness Awaits

PSN:Forevercloud (looking for Soul Sacrifice Partners!!!)

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

forevercloud3000 said:
HappySqurriel said:

Ok I didnt say the cost of developing a game is not high, Im just saying that their fanbase does not exponentialy increase just becuz it is spread accross all platforms.  GTAIV, if it had stayed exclusive, would have sold alot, but little to no difference if it was multiplat. Lets just say it sold 10mill on PS3 exclusively. When it went multiplat it went like 360(6mil) and PS3(4mil). No real change in sales, just split up.

And thank u for not being an A**Hole Fanboy spouting garbage. Appreciate it.

Yea, except thats not the way it works.  Going multiplatform gives them better access to the NA market where the 360 is more successful than the PS3.

Talk about fanboy garbage, half your original post is just slobbering anti-MS drivel.

As for titles being exclusive to the Playstation, Final Fantasy was originally exclusive to Nintendo.  Once Square separated from Nintendo, they released games on the PS1.  So now they are going multi-platform.  They've been making games for the Gameboy and DS for years now and have not be entirely Sony exclusive in the non-handheld market.  Now with the Japanese market moving very strongly in the direction of the Wii and handhelds, Square needs to make a big budget game like FF13 as available as they can.  Don't direct your hate at Microsoft, Square made this decision to combat a very real financial problem.

I give that post a 9.1.

Thank god for the disable signatures option.