By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Importance of Exclusivity

@HappySqurriel
Majority of those consoles u named were epic failures of a gaming console. Thats y they all died off in the wake of PS1 and Nintendo. They are the reason y I think many were shakey of the CD format

Greatness Awaits

PSN:Forevercloud (looking for Soul Sacrifice Partners!!!)

Around the Network

at this rate Micro$oft are gonna buy SONY and Nintendo

Obliterator1700 said:
@Fishie

You sould like a fanboy... Final fantasy,dmc were both on the ps2 1 started on the ps2 so I would say unless Microsoft paid them Dmc would have been a sony exclusive. Thats not stealing but more like doing a little business. As for dmc4 it was'nt as good as 1,3. Dmc3 is still the best and will be the best dmc to have ever come out.

Oh btw they were both released at the same time meaning that it did not start on the pc first. Gta has never been a sony exclusive anyway So I dont really care about that. Sony stole Final Fantasy from Nintendo in my view and now microsoft is trying to do the same but will end in epic failure.

Btw dont compare Gears graphics with MGS4....

Why cant I compare them?

Both are/were showpieces for their respective systems and both look and play dated today.

Regarding DMC it was not an exclusive out of choice but out of necesity.

After the insanely good sales of the first game Sony gave incentives to keep it exclusive(as they used to do for all big sellers) with DMC4 the game started out as an exclusive yet the incentives were dropped by Sony so mid development trough it went multiplatform and it still ended up every bit as good on the 360.

MS didnt have to pay them to get the game, it was lack of lowered royaltie payments to Sony combined with the strength of the 360 that made them go multiplatform.

As for FFVII yes Sony STOLE it trough rather backhanded tactics from Nintendo(and Sega because at first the game was considered for the Saturn but Sega couldnt write the big checks Sony could), MS here did no such thing they didnt steal anything as the PS3 is still getting the game.

HappySqurriel said:
Profcrab said:
Obliterator1700 said:
@Fishie

You sould like a fanboy... Final fantasy,dmc were both on the ps2 1 started on the ps2 so I would say unless Microsoft paid them Dmc would have been a sony exclusive. Thats not stealing but more like doing a little business. As for dmc4 it was'nt as good as 1,3. Dmc3 is still the best and will be the best dmc to have ever come out.

Oh btw they were both released at the same time meaning that it did not start on the pc first. Gta has never been a sony exclusive anyway So I dont really care about that. Sony stole Final Fantasy from Nintendo in my view and now microsoft is trying to do the same but will end in epic failure.

Btw dont compare Gears graphics with MGS4....

DMC did start on the PS2 but what does that really mean in terms of exclusivity?  The PS2 was the dominant console at the time.  Capcom very early in this generation figured out that there was nothing for them to gain by being exclusive.  Sony didn't steal Final Fantasy, Square wasn't happy working with Nintendo at the time and the PS1 was better suited for the type of game they wanted to make next.  Now Square Enix is in a bind where they have a big budget game on their hands and the console market is not what they expected it would be when they started development on it.  They, probably like Sony themselves, expected PS3 dominance due to brand loyalty from the PS2.  They didn't expect the 360 was going to be successful and certianly never expected the Wii to sell like hotcakes.  Companies all over have been reacting to the current state of the industry.  Fanboys are just pissed that they didn't get a repeat of last generation and now their sacred cow exclusives have started to go to the greener pastures of multiplatform.

I give that post a 9.3.

Honestly, a lot of the fanboys who complain about multiplatform titles (which in my opinion seems like an odd complaint being that you're still receiving the game) don't seem to understand this, or that they're lucky that the game is still being produced at all. In the past, when a platform hasn't performed as publishers expected, they have canceled projects or entirely switched the platforms ... It wouldn't have been unprecidented to see Final Fantasy XIII to have its platform be switched from the PS3 to the Wii or Nintendo DS if it was early enough in development.

Case in point: Dragonquest IX.

A bigger franchise for S/E then FF is.

@Fishie
I dont know where u got that info from but it sounds like a blatent lie! FFVII was not stolen from NIN. NIN was suppose to put an adapter on their system called "SNES CD" also dubbed the Playstation but cancelled it half way in and joined with philips. Sony decided to join the fray and came up with their own machine. SE was already betting on this attachement for the SNES but after it was canceled it would take to long to go back from scratch. So they moved. Sony does NOT BUY EXCLUSIVES.

Greatness Awaits

Around the Network
forevercloud3000 said:
People please read the OP before commenting. I am assured that some of you just scanned through it and saw a few lines and were like
"Oh NO's! Someone is talkin bout MULTIPLATS AGAIN! BURN HIM AT THE STEAK"

Many of these posts are taking niche routes of explanations that I have already addressed in my OP.

Think bigger ppl
And thank you some who are not being douches(ala Nikko who always has something stupid to say).

1. Please read the forum rules.  I'm assuming you haven't done this because...
  2. Insulting other users is not allowed.  This is your first and only warning.
  3. When you write long posts, just assume people will skim.

forevercloud3000 said:
NiKKoM said:
Why are you blaming Microsoft and Square??? Blame Sony for building a machine that doesn't sell that well, and may or may not be a little bit better than a machine which was released a year earlier and is darn hard to program for.. they themself lost the exclusive third party support...

Wrong yet again Nikko( y must u post on everything I say? Never giving anything good)

Sony came into the gaming fray with everything going against them. They were not well known yet (as far as gaming goes) and wanted to try ambitious jumps in gaming tech. CDs? No one wanted to go with CDs as a gaming format, it was more costly than cartridge. Yet Sony proved that it was the better decision after a long grief period. PS2, same thing but this time with DVD. This was at the time when ppl were not sure about DVD as the successor to VHS. Sony took that chance, and they were right too. Now it is BluRay's turn, and it is proving itself to be more formidible every day. As Sony puts it "If we asked gamers if they wanted to advance forward, they would say no. They are Satisfied with the current. Yet we prove that if we just do it anyway, everyone is happy!"

And yes, it is harder to develop for, but is potentially better if u put in the time and effort. Best looking game in yrs(Uncharted), and tech heavy game(MGS4) can only be accomplished on PS3.

Sony NEVER has paid for exclusivity. Companies draw to them becuz of their good business ethics. This is y even tho many developers have defected, many still hold strong, and dont let MONEY from MS rob them of their integrity.

And this thread is not about which is better (but u can obiously tell which one I think is). That is completely besides the point. Mass Effect and Halo are good reasons to buy a 360. I would not want them to go multiplat either. Consoles deserve to have EXCLUSIVES to show off their hardware and what they do best.

good day SIR

This is the biggest load of bullshit you have spouted yet.

Sega and NEC pioneered CD in consoles NOT Sony.

If Sony never paid for an exclusive explain to me how Square mid nineties found the money to move to a brand new office building, explain to me what happened with Canadian independant developer Park Place Productions, what they did with british developer Psygnosis.

Sony gave a BIG payout to Square to switch alegiance(at a point where Square wanted to put FFVII on the Sega Saturn which was doing much better then the PS1 in Japan back then).

Sony wanted to buyout Park Place Productions, an independant Canadian developer making sports games for the likes of Acklaim and EA, the owners rather liked their independance yet one day when they came to work none of their employees were there. They had all been hired by Sony behind PPP`s back for their newly formed 989 PS sports label leaving PPP unable to finish their contractual obligations to EA(one less Madden game that year) and forcing them to declare bankruptcy.

Psygnosis was a third party with good relations with Sega and Nintendo and one of the best multiplatform developers, they also had next gen(for that time) deals in place with all three(Sega, Nintendo, Sony), Sony smoozed up to them and bought the company for way more then it was worth in straight cash so that they could stop the Psygnosis games from releasing on competing formats, both Sega and Nintendo however went to the courts to enforce the Psygnosis contracts so Sony outsourced the games to crappy developers to make the other versions look really shitty.

There are lots and lots of examples like this about the loose Sony ethics, suffice to say if MS tried anything close to the shit Sony has pulled in the past they woulod be rightfully crucified.

Yet we have ignorant little fanboys like you here who spout outright lies thinking them to be truth.

forevercloud3000 said:
People please read the OP before commenting. I am assured that some of you just scanned through it and saw a few lines and were like
"Oh NO's! Someone is talkin bout MULTIPLATS AGAIN! BURN HIM AT THE STEAK"

Many of these posts are taking niche routes of explanations that I have already addressed in my OP.

Think bigger ppl
And thank you some who are not being douches(ala Nikko who always has something stupid to say).

I like my steak medium rare.

Well done if its hangar and rare if its wagyu.

forevercloud3000 said:
@Fishie
I dont know where u got that info from but it sounds like a blatent lie! FFVII was not stolen from NIN. NIN was suppose to put an adapter on their system called "SNES CD" also dubbed the Playstation but cancelled it half way in and joined with philips. Sony decided to join the fray and came up with their own machine. SE was already betting on this attachement for the SNES but after it was canceled it would take to long to go back from scratch. So they moved. Sony does NOT BUY EXCLUSIVES.

You sir are either ignorant or a collosal idiot.

I think its the former.

Nintendo was NOT ALLOWED to use a CD attachment anymore after they first pissed of Phillips and then pissed of Sony(the Playstation was supposed to be the snesCD attachment/standalone console)Sony continued on to further develop the playstation after Nintendo shunned them and Phillips found loopholes in the Nintendo contract that allowed them to rape Nintendo`s beloved franchises for a bunch of really shitty games.

Fishie said:
forevercloud3000 said:
@Fishie

You sir are either ignorant or a collosal idiot.

I think its the former.

as sNintendo was NOT ALLOWED to use a CD attachment anymore after they first pissed of Phillips and then pissed of Sony(the Playstation wupposed to be the snesCD attachment/standalone console)Sony continued on to further develop the playstation after Nintendo shunned them a

nd Phillips found loopholes in the Nintendo contract that allowed them to rape Nintendo`s beloved franchises for a bunch of really shitty games.

Um, i think u are the collosal idiot, as most of what u just said is what I JUST SAID. I just didnt say anything about the part with Nin being raped for exclusives. So how exactly am I the idiot? We just came to the same conclusion.

Greatness Awaits