By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Importance of Exclusivity

Call of Duty 4 was multiplatform yet look at the average it got on gamerankings: 94%. Multiplatform games don't really decrease the quality.

Around the Network

Funny how fanboys go.
With a title like Heavenly Sword they went from HAAHAA we get it now and MS gets jackshit to killer app to its ok to it was not a big deal anyway so Microsoft can have Ninja Theory back.
Now suddenly you have OP here saying he doesnt want a flamebait thread yet fills it with fanboy banter about how the PS3 is proven to be oh so superior and being held back by the 360.

Funny then that projects that started out on the PS3 scale so well to the 360(DMC4 springs to mind) yet developers have a hard time going vice versa.
If the 360 is holding the PS3 back then why was the most technically demanding game so far a multiformat one(Assassins Creed, its a sandbox game yet approaches the fidelity seen in system exclusives with restrictive enviroments like Unchartered, Gears and MGS)?

How is MS STEALING Sony games when said games were either multiformat to begin with or defacto exclusives because the PS2 was marketleader by the insanest of margins?

Oh BTW GTA started on PC not on Playstation.

You are 100% wrong in saying that multiplats don't increase the audience, merely redirect their purchases. I will buy a copy of FFXIII for my 360 because it is now multiplat. If it had stayed exclusive I would not have bothered.

@Fishie

You sould like a fanboy... Final fantasy,dmc were both on the ps2 1 started on the ps2 so I would say unless Microsoft paid them Dmc would have been a sony exclusive. Thats not stealing but more like doing a little business. As for dmc4 it was'nt as good as 1,3. Dmc3 is still the best and will be the best dmc to have ever come out.

Oh btw they were both released at the same time meaning that it did not start on the pc first. Gta has never been a sony exclusive anyway So I dont really care about that. Sony stole Final Fantasy from Nintendo in my view and now microsoft is trying to do the same but will end in epic failure.

Btw dont compare Gears graphics with MGS4....

Around the Network
De85 said:
You are 100% wrong in saying that multiplats don't increase the audience, merely redirect their purchases. I will buy a copy of FFXIII for my 360 because it is now multiplat. If it had stayed exclusive I would not have bothered.

i've trying to write the same thing but i couldn't do it in english , except the part that i don't own a 360 :)

De85 said:
It would increase the audience but then whats the point of different consoles?

Obliterator1700 said:
@Fishie

You sould like a fanboy... Final fantasy,dmc were both on the ps2 1 started on the ps2 so I would say unless Microsoft paid them Dmc would have been a sony exclusive. Thats not stealing but more like doing a little business. As for dmc4 it was'nt as good as 1,3. Dmc3 is still the best and will be the best dmc to have ever come out.

Oh btw they were both released at the same time meaning that it did not start on the pc first. Gta has never been a sony exclusive anyway So I dont really care about that. Sony stole Final Fantasy from Nintendo in my view and now microsoft is trying to do the same but will end in epic failure.

Btw dont compare Gears graphics with MGS4....

DMC did start on the PS2 but what does that really mean in terms of exclusivity?  The PS2 was the dominant console at the time.  Capcom very early in this generation figured out that there was nothing for them to gain by being exclusive.  Sony didn't steal Final Fantasy, Square wasn't happy working with Nintendo at the time and the PS1 was better suited for the type of game they wanted to make next.  Now Square Enix is in a bind where they have a big budget game on their hands and the console market is not what they expected it would be when they started development on it.  They, probably like Sony themselves, expected PS3 dominance due to brand loyalty from the PS2.  They didn't expect the 360 was going to be successful and certianly never expected the Wii to sell like hotcakes.  Companies all over have been reacting to the current state of the industry.  Fanboys are just pissed that they didn't get a repeat of last generation and now their sacred cow exclusives have started to go to the greener pastures of multiplatform.

I give that post a 9.3.

Thank god for the disable signatures option.

Profcrab said:
forevercloud3000 said:
HappySqurriel said:

If you're spending $20 to $100+ Million to develop a game for the HD consoles you're likely going to target as large of a userbase as you possibly can ... In other words, the kind of "Default Exclusivity" that the PS2 had will not be repeated for the HD consoles in this generation.

Ok I didnt say the cost of developing a game is not high, Im just saying that their fanbase does not exponentialy increase just becuz it is spread accross all platforms.  GTAIV, if it had stayed exclusive, would have sold alot, but little to no difference if it was multiplat. Lets just say it sold 10mill on PS3 exclusively. When it went multiplat it went like 360(6mil) and PS3(4mil). No real change in sales, just split up.

And thank u for not being an A**Hole Fanboy spouting garbage. Appreciate it.

Yea, except thats not the way it works.  Going multiplatform gives them better access to the NA market where the 360 is more successful than the PS3.

Talk about fanboy garbage, half your original post is just slobbering anti-MS drivel.

As for titles being exclusive to the Playstation, Final Fantasy was originally exclusive to Nintendo.  Once Square separated from Nintendo, they released games on the PS1.  So now they are going multi-platform.  They've been making games for the Gameboy and DS for years now and have not be entirely Sony exclusive in the non-handheld market.  Now with the Japanese market moving very strongly in the direction of the Wii and handhelds, Square needs to make a big budget game like FF13 as available as they can.  Don't direct your hate at Microsoft, Square made this decision to combat a very real financial problem.

I give that post a 9.1.

Y do you think the 360 is more successful? Is it because it is better hardware? NO. It is becuz it has more GAMES that are partially exclusive, and the fact it was out first. If all those games were multiplat and the systems came out at the same time, and they were same price but you still got all the stuff they have now, which would you buy?

Since you brought up the FF Nintendo deal I will explain it to you. FF used to be EXCLUSIVE to Nintendo, meaning it could take FULL advantage of it's hardware, which is my whole point. Id rather see FFXIII go exclusive to 360 than get a dumbed down version of it becuz it must be even on both sides. I cannot think of one FF (besides XI) that was EVER MultiPlat. Square had the right idea that if you keep a game on one system it will in turn take advantage of the hardware. And just so you know the split of the main FF series and Nintendo had nothing to do with "Money". It had all to do with NIN shafting them  in a very vital deal to there nxt title, FFVII. This is what made them split and go pro Sony, not becuz of money becuz at that time NIN was the dominant console. I hate to see this example go on missused .

And I hate Square too for selling out to MS's pleas. Majority of the FF fanbase has always connected themselves with the PS brand. How can u justify completely forsaking ur fanbase? 360 was getting quite a few rpg franchises that the PS3 userbase wanted. Yet all this was ok seeing as we would get the one that mattered most to us, FF. I partially bought a PS3 for I knew Square would be developing for it. Y is Star Ocean, Last Remnant, and Infinite Undi all being developed for 360 as exclusive or timed exclusive? Star Ocean was promised to be a PS3 title(exclusivity up in the air), Last Remnant a multiplat on same day release, and FFXIII a PS3 exclusive . Now SO is exclusive to 360(may be timed) as well as last Remnant, and now FFXIII is said to come out DAY AND DATE with 360! Square just lied to PS3 fans 3 times consecutively, but the FF thing was the last straw.

Greatness Awaits

PSN:Forevercloud (looking for Soul Sacrifice Partners!!!)

Why are you blaming Microsoft and Square??? Blame Sony for building a machine that doesn't sell that well, and may or may not be a little bit better than a machine which was released a year earlier and is darn hard to program for.. they themself lost the exclusive third party support...

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!)