By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Importance of Exclusivity

Profcrab said:
Obliterator1700 said:
@Fishie

You sould like a fanboy... Final fantasy,dmc were both on the ps2 1 started on the ps2 so I would say unless Microsoft paid them Dmc would have been a sony exclusive. Thats not stealing but more like doing a little business. As for dmc4 it was'nt as good as 1,3. Dmc3 is still the best and will be the best dmc to have ever come out.

Oh btw they were both released at the same time meaning that it did not start on the pc first. Gta has never been a sony exclusive anyway So I dont really care about that. Sony stole Final Fantasy from Nintendo in my view and now microsoft is trying to do the same but will end in epic failure.

Btw dont compare Gears graphics with MGS4....

DMC did start on the PS2 but what does that really mean in terms of exclusivity?  The PS2 was the dominant console at the time.  Capcom very early in this generation figured out that there was nothing for them to gain by being exclusive.  Sony didn't steal Final Fantasy, Square wasn't happy working with Nintendo at the time and the PS1 was better suited for the type of game they wanted to make next.  Now Square Enix is in a bind where they have a big budget game on their hands and the console market is not what they expected it would be when they started development on it.  They, probably like Sony themselves, expected PS3 dominance due to brand loyalty from the PS2.  They didn't expect the 360 was going to be successful and certianly never expected the Wii to sell like hotcakes.  Companies all over have been reacting to the current state of the industry.  Fanboys are just pissed that they didn't get a repeat of last generation and now their sacred cow exclusives have started to go to the greener pastures of multiplatform.

I give that post a 9.3.

Honestly, a lot of the fanboys who complain about multiplatform titles (which in my opinion seems like an odd complaint being that you're still receiving the game) don't seem to understand this, or that they're lucky that the game is still being produced at all. In the past, when a platform hasn't performed as publishers expected, they have canceled projects or entirely switched the platforms ... It wouldn't have been unprecidented to see Final Fantasy XIII to have its platform be switched from the PS3 to the Wii or Nintendo DS if it was early enough in development.

Around the Network
forevercloud3000 said:
Profcrab said:
forevercloud3000 said:
HappySqurriel said:

If you're spending $20 to $100+ Million to develop a game for the HD consoles you're likely going to target as large of a userbase as you possibly can ... In other words, the kind of "Default Exclusivity" that the PS2 had will not be repeated for the HD consoles in this generation.

Ok I didnt say the cost of developing a game is not high, Im just saying that their fanbase does not exponentialy increase just becuz it is spread accross all platforms.  GTAIV, if it had stayed exclusive, would have sold alot, but little to no difference if it was multiplat. Lets just say it sold 10mill on PS3 exclusively. When it went multiplat it went like 360(6mil) and PS3(4mil). No real change in sales, just split up.

And thank u for not being an A**Hole Fanboy spouting garbage. Appreciate it.

Yea, except thats not the way it works.  Going multiplatform gives them better access to the NA market where the 360 is more successful than the PS3.

Talk about fanboy garbage, half your original post is just slobbering anti-MS drivel.

As for titles being exclusive to the Playstation, Final Fantasy was originally exclusive to Nintendo.  Once Square separated from Nintendo, they released games on the PS1.  So now they are going multi-platform.  They've been making games for the Gameboy and DS for years now and have not be entirely Sony exclusive in the non-handheld market.  Now with the Japanese market moving very strongly in the direction of the Wii and handhelds, Square needs to make a big budget game like FF13 as available as they can.  Don't direct your hate at Microsoft, Square made this decision to combat a very real financial problem.

I give that post a 9.1.

Y do you think the 360 is more successful? Is it because it is better hardware? NO. It is becuz it has more GAMES that are partially exclusive, and the fact it was out first. If all those games were multiplat and the systems came out at the same time, and they were same price but you still got all the stuff they have now, which would you buy?

Since you brought up the FF Nintendo deal I will explain it to you. FF used to be EXCLUSIVE to Nintendo, meaning it could take FULL advantage of it's hardware, which is my whole point. Id rather see FFXIII go exclusive to 360 than get a dumbed down version of it becuz it must be even on both sides. I cannot think of one FF (besides XI) that was EVER MultiPlat. Square had the right idea that if you keep a game on one system it will in turn take advantage of the hardware. And just so you know the split of the main FF series and Nintendo had nothing to do with "Money". It had all to do with NIN shafting them  in a very vital deal to there nxt title, FFVII. This is what made them split and go pro Sony, not becuz of money becuz at that time NIN was the dominant console. I hate to see this example go on missused .

And I hate Square too for selling out to MS's pleas. Majority of the FF fanbase has always connected themselves with the PS brand. How can u justify completely forsaking ur fanbase? 360 was getting quite a few rpg franchises that the PS3 userbase wanted. Yet all this was ok seeing as we would get the one that mattered most to us, FF. I partially bought a PS3 for I knew Square would be developing for it. Y is Star Ocean, Last Remnant, and Infinite Undi all being developed for 360 as exclusive or timed exclusive? Star Ocean was promised to be a PS3 title(exclusivity up in the air), Last Remnant a multiplat on same day release, and FFXIII a PS3 exclusive . Now SO is exclusive to 360(may be timed) as well as last Remnant, and now FFXIII is said to come out DAY AND DATE with 360! Square just lied to PS3 fans 3 times consecutively, but the FF thing was the last straw.

They are not forsaking their fanbase.  They are forsaking fanboys like you.  The only reason you are so connected to the Playstation FF is that you a kid who grew up in the era of Sony dominance.  Older gamers grew up with fond memories of early FF games on the SNES (just ask the older Nintendo fanboys about this).  I understand buying a console for the games that you expect to be on it, but I do not understand the relentless bitching that other people on other consoles get to play the games you like too.  People like you would rather see Square make less money and possibly do worse as a brand than you would see your sacred cow on another console.  If FF13 is a good game, it will do well in spite of the parasitic fanboy ticks that only care about their precious exclusivity.  The reality of the situation is that if it was only Microsoft's money, Square wouldn't have done it.  The 360's success is the stronger motivating factor behind the multiplatform move.

I give that post a 9.1.

Thank god for the disable signatures option.

To OP:

....Microsoft's PRIMARY objective in this whole vg business is to take down Sony to the point that Sony can't and won't be a threat to Microsoft's PC division (Windows, etc.) All Microsoft is doing is doing what they do best and that's trying to make monopolies of whatever market they are in. Sometimes it pays off (Windows OS, Stealing Sony's exclusivity, etc.) and sometimes it doesn't (Trying to buy Yahoo.com, HD-DVD, etc.)

If your really upset (it sounded like it in your post) you really should blame Sony for all of this. If they hadn't tried to get in Microsoft's business in the first place, then Microsoft would not even be in the VG business.

At the rate Microsoft is going with this, it won't even take long for them to make Sony no longer an issue in the VG world.

Generation 8 Predictions so far.....(as of 9/2013)

Console that will sell most: Nintendo Wii U

Who will sell more consoles between Microsoft/SONY: SONY

Obliterator1700 said:
De85 said:
You are 100% wrong in saying that multiplats don't increase the audience, merely redirect their purchases. I will buy a copy of FFXIII for my 360 because it is now multiplat. If it had stayed exclusive I would not have bothered.
It would increase the audience but then whats the point of different consoles?

Because if there were no 360 available it does not automatically mean that 360 owners would have bought a PS3 instead.  Many would have stuck with their PC's, some would have gone Wii, etc... 600$ was just not a viable price.

NiKKoM said:
Why are you blaming Microsoft and Square??? Blame Sony for building a machine that doesn't sell that well, and may or may not be a little bit better than a machine which was released a year earlier and is darn hard to program for.. they themself lost the exclusive third party support...

Wrong yet again Nikko( y must u post on everything I say? Never giving anything good)

Sony came into the gaming fray with everything going against them. They were not well known yet (as far as gaming goes) and wanted to try ambitious jumps in gaming tech. CDs? No one wanted to go with CDs as a gaming format, it was more costly than cartridge. Yet Sony proved that it was the better decision after a long grief period. PS2, same thing but this time with DVD. This was at the time when ppl were not sure about DVD as the successor to VHS. Sony took that chance, and they were right too. Now it is BluRay's turn, and it is proving itself to be more formidible every day. As Sony puts it "If we asked gamers if they wanted to advance forward, they would say no. They are Satisfied with the current. Yet we prove that if we just do it anyway, everyone is happy!"

And yes, it is harder to develop for, but is potentially better if u put in the time and effort. Best looking game in yrs(Uncharted), and tech heavy game(MGS4) can only be accomplished on PS3.

Sony NEVER has paid for exclusivity. Companies draw to them becuz of their good business ethics. This is y even tho many developers have defected, many still hold strong, and dont let MONEY from MS rob them of their integrity.

And this thread is not about which is better (but u can obiously tell which one I think is). That is completely besides the point. Mass Effect and Halo are good reasons to buy a 360. I would not want them to go multiplat either. Consoles deserve to have EXCLUSIVES to show off their hardware and what they do best.

good day SIR

Greatness Awaits

PSN:Forevercloud (looking for Soul Sacrifice Partners!!!)

Around the Network

If you think about it...maybe this is a small attack on Blu-Ray. Sony thinks they won due to Blu-Ray, huh? Well in the long term....yeah, but as of right now...not yet. Not yet. You see, Blu-Ray was a huge win for Sony (we all know that) but what Microsoft is doing is affecting Blu-Ray in a small way. (in terms of games) As long as Microsoft is still a factor in the HD-gaming race or whatever, Blu-Ray hasn't won anything for Sony, yet. If Microsoft keeps stealing Sony's exclusivity and still keep most of their important IPs then Blu-Ray is a joke.

Blu-Ray was supposed to give the PS3 the edge over the 360 but after GTA4 and beyond, I fail to see anything significant of what Blu-Ray has to offer in gaming.

Generation 8 Predictions so far.....(as of 9/2013)

Console that will sell most: Nintendo Wii U

Who will sell more consoles between Microsoft/SONY: SONY

forevercloud3000 said:
NiKKoM said:
Why are you blaming Microsoft and Square??? Blame Sony for building a machine that doesn't sell that well, and may or may not be a little bit better than a machine which was released a year earlier and is darn hard to program for.. they themself lost the exclusive third party support...

Wrong yet again Nikko( y must u post on everything I say? Never giving anything good)

Sony came into the gaming fray with everything going against them. They were not well known yet (as far as gaming goes) and wanted to try ambitious jumps in gaming tech. CDs? No one wanted to go with CDs as a gaming format, it was more costly than cartridge. Yet Sony proved that it was the better decision after a long grief period. PS2, same thing but this time with DVD. This was at the time when ppl were not sure about DVD as the successor to VHS. Sony took that chance, and they were right too. Now it is BluRay's turn, and it is proving itself to be more formidible every day. As Sony puts it "If we asked gamers if they wanted to advance forward, they would say no. They are Satisfied with the current. Yet we prove that if we just do it anyway, everyone is happy!"

And yes, it is harder to develop for, but is potentially better if u put in the time and effort. Best looking game in yrs(Uncharted), and tech heavy game(MGS4) can only be accomplished on PS3.

Sony NEVER has paid for exclusivity. Companies draw to them becuz of their good business ethics. This is y even tho many developers have defected, many still hold strong, and dont let MONEY from MS rob them of their integrity.

And this thread is not about which is better (but u can obiously tell which one I think is). That is completely besides the point. Mass Effect and Halo are good reasons to buy a 360. I would not want them to go multiplat either. Consoles deserve to have EXCLUSIVES to show off their hardware and what they do best.

good day SIR

You do realize that CDs (at the time) were cheaper than cartridges, and that EVERYONE was working on CD drives (See Sega CD, Sega Saturn, TurboGraphics CD, Atari Jaguar CD, 3DO, Amiga CD32, and SNES CD) ... Nintendo was the company that took a step in the opposite direction as everyone else and produced a cartridge based format which enabled larger seemless game worlds and no loading times (which is why many people argue the N64's games aged better).

Seriously, you need to learn more gaming history before you try to teach other people the history of gaming.

People please read the OP before commenting. I am assured that some of you just scanned through it and saw a few lines and were like
"Oh NO's! Someone is talkin bout MULTIPLATS AGAIN! BURN HIM AT THE STEAK"

Many of these posts are taking niche routes of explanations that I have already addressed in my OP.

Think bigger ppl
And thank you some who are not being douches(ala Nikko who always has something stupid to say).

Greatness Awaits

PSN:Forevercloud (looking for Soul Sacrifice Partners!!!)

forevercloud3000 said:
NiKKoM said:

good day SIR

Right... because root kits are for our own good, even though we may not realize it.

@Happy Squirrel

I Dislike your avatar