By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - GameStop Diaries:Gave 360 a chance.... Pt.1

Diaries of a bitter fanboy more like it...

Around the Network

I'm actually pretty excited for PART 2... see there is a Pt.1 in the title?? can't wait.. I'm already getting some great pictures ready in response for Pt. 2..

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

Wow..I like gamestop. A lot actually. I'm not even an employee - and never have been - and they let me borrow games like that=P I take extreme care of anything under my care tho, and always return games in perfect shape. On top of that, if they have a game 2 days before it's official release - I have it 2 days before its official release. Gamestop treats me good, so I can't really complain. I can understand the frustration from people who don't get this treatment but hey..all i can say is - be nice. I go to gamestop, buy games, reserve games, talk to the guys, hang out. They know me pretty well by now, it's where I buy all my games and they know it..so they know a valued customer when they see one I guess. I also buy all strategy guides there (because everywhere else sells strategy guides, they just NEVER have the one you need) and I also buy all of my hardware there - controllers, USB cables, play-n-charge kits, etc etc.

But you could also say this is because of where I live. There are only 2 stores where I live that sell video games - GameStop and Wal-Mart. And I don't go into Wal-Mart unless theres a gun at my forehead, so no matter how bad I thought GameStop was, I'd still shop there..otherwise I'd have to drive 45 minutes to find somewhere else.

So you are blaming Microsoft for yet another ridiculous gamestop policy?

Letting employees borrow games and then selling them as new is the epitome of gamestop: it's immoral, it's wrong, and it is stealing. Gamestop likes to steal from regular people. Look, gamestop gets to give their employees a perk and then they get to sell the games as new when they are not. Good deal for gamestop.

And when they decide they want to (because no game will come back in perfect condition), they can sell that game to the employee by cohesion.

Phrancheyez said:
Wow..I like gamestop. A lot actually. I'm not even an employee - and never have been - and they let me borrow games like that=P I take extreme care of anything under my care tho, and always return games in perfect shape. On top of that, if they have a game 2 days before it's official release - I have it 2 days before its official release. Gamestop treats me good, so I can't really complain. I can understand the frustration from people who don't get this treatment but hey..all i can say is - be nice. I go to gamestop, buy games, reserve games, talk to the guys, hang out. They know me pretty well by now, it's where I buy all my games and they know it..so they know a valued customer when they see one I guess. I also buy all strategy guides there (because everywhere else sells strategy guides, they just NEVER have the one you need) and I also buy all of my hardware there - controllers, USB cables, play-n-charge kits, etc etc.

But you could also say this is because of where I live. There are only 2 stores where I live that sell video games - GameStop and Wal-Mart. And I don't go into Wal-Mart unless theres a gun at my forehead, so no matter how bad I thought GameStop was, I'd still shop there..otherwise I'd have to drive 45 minutes to find somewhere else.

No offence to you.. I don't know you.. but

That's even worse!!! So you could buy a *new* game but it could have been played for days by another CUSTOMER? Not even by an employee???? I'm so glad I don't have a gamestop around me..

Around the Network

Oh no, I completely understand. If I was your average John Doe buying games from GameStop, and I found out they did that, it would bother me too. But luckily for me, I'm behind the people swinging the GameStop ugly-stick, so for now I'm safe. Plus, I buy more PS3 games than 360, and while I agree 100% that I'd want a brand new one over a 'borrowed, new' one, a little scratch on a PS3 disc doesn't worry me in terms of playability, huge upside of preferring PS3 Blu-Rays I guess.

I know for a fact they are violating policy. I don't work there but am friends with a guy that does. Letting a customer "borrow" a game is already a big no no but they only let employees borrow USED games. Not new. And it's for 3 days max.

Sounds like a couple guys there would be fired if anybody found out.

Completed X360:
High Def Movie Collection
Kasz216 said:
Gamestops let you borrow new games? That's pretty screwed up. Another good reason to only buy used games there.

I now boycott gamestop. Make all my game purchases on amazon.com. You can even get release date shipping free with amazon prime. After the fiasco I had with gamestop with my mgs4 preorder (they said UPS lost the order and didn't bother to send a new one till I made numerous calls and multiple emails), I'll never spend a dime in that store ever again.

Its not too surprising that their employees borrow "new" games. I've always found it fishy that new games actually weren't sealed. They put them in some other paper disc case, transfer them into a game case and put some tape on when you buy them...very, very, suspicious!

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

I want to thank forevercloud3000 for making this thread.. Giving us insight in Gamestop policy is the best thing you have done for this site.. Gamestop lost customers because of you.. thank you for the information...

So what started as flamebait quickly turn into bashing the OPs place of employment. Why cant more threads be like this?

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away"