By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The best next-gen gaming system is also the most expensive. FACT!

I'm still pointing my Wiimote to my PC but the Character won't move!!!!!
& my girlfriend doesn't like the PC... that's a FACT.. so it's not the best next-gen gaming system.. for me..

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

Around the Network
Shoestar said:
steven787 said:
There are next gen gaming systems available now?

Oh, you mean current gen...

Yeah PC is great, too bad a good graphics card, CPU, and MB are more money than most people can afford... and people like playing together in front of the TV.

Current gen Graphic cards allow people to plug directly to the TV. Hence, if someone really wanted it, they could just aswell play infront of their tv. I know a great many people that have a home theater PC which is prettymuch putting a PC in your living room that acts as an entertainment hub to play movies, music etc.

So how many people here do that on a regular basis?

Most consumers didn't even know that the PS3 and 360 were HD...

http://www.engadgethd.com/2007/08/09/many-xbox-360-ps3-owners-unaware-of-hd-abilities/

How do you think they're going to figure this out?

(Remember, I am a PC gamer.  I'm just keeping it realistic.)

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

Well of course PC is the best gaming system. You always get what you pay for. Unlike consoles.

skipo said:
Shoestar said:
BenKenobi88 said:
You don't need anywhere near $2000 to build a good gaming PC.

Mine's under $1000 and it plays Crysis pretty well.

And of course PCs are useful for MUCH more than a gaming console could be.

yes... you can have a fairly good PC at $1000... but I'm talking state of the art (not overly expensive though) :)

state of the art that is going to be oudated in 6 months or 3 months... gotta luv Moore Law.

wasn't that the intel guy? I thought he was talking about the transistors on a cpu? well... if you buy anything new now, it is no longer  gonna be new sooner or later. a core 2 quad at 2.65 ghz might cost 15% less in a year but then so are the pricedrops for the consoles such as the PS3 or X360... or so much is the cost of adding just another pheripheral to be able to play a game on the wii.

Aswell, yes, the main purpose of a PC is not gaming, as as the main purpose of a car is not racing for the 'general public'. But wrong is it to assume that there are not people who buy a PC for the main purpose of gaming. Why else would a tri-sli 9800 gtx sell? not everyone does graphic design :)

I need my PC for work but I'd be damned if I don't use it to play games.

I am a Gamer... I play games and not consoles. I have a PC and Console on which I game... I like games. End of Story!

Shoestar said:

wasn't that the intel guy? I thought he was talking about the transistors on a cpu? well... if you buy anything new now, it is no longer  gonna be new sooner or later. a core 2 quad at 2.65 ghz might cost 15% less in a year but then so are the pricedrops for the consoles such as the PS3 or X360... or so much is the cost of adding just another pheripheral to be able to play a game on the wii.

Aswell, yes, the main purpose of a PC is not gaming, as as the main purpose of a car is not racing for the 'general public'. But wrong is it to assume that there are not people who buy a PC for the main purpose of gaming. Why else would a tri-sli 9800 gtx sell? not everyone does graphic design :)

Graphic Designers use a Mac.. We don't want a windows PC.. :P

Around the Network
NiKKoM said:
& my girlfriend doesn't like the PC... that's a FACT.. so it's not the best next-gen gaming system.. for me..

I could just as well try to put my Medieval 2 total war DVD into the Wii but not only would it not recognise it... but then, to play the game, u would probably need about 8 gb hdd space for the core game and probably 8 more if I wanted to play the kingdoms expansions. And all that is assuming that the Wii doesn't melt in the process...

oh well... I suppose ur girlfriend wouldn't like the smell of burnt plastic either :) glad that you consider you "next gen wii" console to be the pinacle of technology because it makes cartoony characters move when u shake a stick :)

I am a Gamer... I play games and not consoles. I have a PC and Console on which I game... I like games. End of Story!

Soleron said:

It doesn't play a single Nintendo game. Major Nintendo games are consistently rated among the best games of all time. A Wii is therefore needed to play many of the best games ever (through GC backwards compatibilty and VC too). If there were no consoles, only PCs, then you would miss out on the chance to do so.

Therefore your statement is not a FACT. It is an OPINION, which means other people can disagree.

assuming you put that much stock into reviews (which is a tad foolish) you can still play nintendo games:

on your PC: NES, SNES, N64 & GC games (not sure how well the GC emu runs)

on your original xbox: NES, SNES & N64 games

on your PS2: NES, SNES games

on your PSP: NES, SNES, N64 games (not sure how well the n64 emu runs)

Demon's Souls Official Thread  | Currently playing: Left 4 Dead 2, LittleBigPlanet 2, Magicka

NiKKoM said:
Shoestar said:

Graphic Designers use a Mac.. We don't want a windows PC.. :P

Mac people are touchy. :) (though u can use maya, 3dmax and bryce on pc)

Shoestar said:
NiKKoM said:

I could just as well try to put my Medieval 2 total war DVD into the Wii but not only would it not recognise it... but then, to play the game, u would probably need about 8 gb hdd space for the core game and probably 8 more if I wanted to play the kingdoms expansions. And all that is assuming that the Wii doesn't melt in the process...

oh well... I suppose ur girlfriend wouldn't like the smell of burnt plastic either :) glad that you consider you "next gen wii" console to be the pinacle of technology because it makes cartoony characters move when u shake a stick :)

Still you can't play Super Mario Galaxy on your PC... and that for 2000 dollar...

Of all gaming markets the PC is the hardest to define or track ...

When you factor in the massive quantity of flash games (as well as other forms of free games) the PC is probably the biggest gaming system by a wide margin, but when you're only looking at the sales of games through retail the PC is probably the smallest gaming system. From my understanding, PC games (generally) sell far less copies than similar console games but the lower overhead, alternate revenue resources, and the sale of expansions/mods generally make it a very profitable market.

From a graphical quality standpoint, the PC will always have the best graphics because there will always be far more powerful hardware avaialble if cost and heat are not considerations ... The typical PC gamer will not have access to this hardware and will scale back the quality of their graphics to see decent performance though.