By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sony is King of HD JRPG's!

You tell em Hanzo :)

Unleash The Beast!  

End of 2011 Sales: Wii = 90mil, 360 = 61mil, PS3= 60mil

Around the Network
BengaBenga said:

White Knight Chronicals, Valkyria Chronicals, Disgaea 3, Tears to Tiara, Folk Lore, ICO 3 and an exclusive Tales, [unofficially announced]. Also, many ShinMegamiTensei games, maybe a Dark Cloud & so many others yet to be announced too. Eternal Sonata, The Last Remnant & most likely SO4 are being ported with more content as well. 360-Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey, Tales of Vesperia & IU. Wow, sukunai [few] as the Japanese put it! To note; TLR, SO4 and ES are timed, but should have new content on the PS3 anyway. PS3* 8 definites, 2 maybes & 3 a bit late. 360* 4+3 timed exclusives & FF13 [multi]. So, why are people saying the 360 has more Jrpg's when clearly it DOESN'T? What do u think?

I think you're delusional. The daily Wii attacks are already pathetic, but saying the PS3 has more JRPG content is just a sign of frustration for buying the wrong console.

The fact that you have to go for "many to be announced" is already enough. MegaTen has no platform yet and has most chance on a Wii release, Tales PS3 was never announced and the main series is going to Wii, Ico is not an RPG nor is Dark Cloud. Since ít's not even official that SO4 will come to PS3, I really wonder where you get the information that it will have extra content.

And besides that, 360 is the only platform where you can play a big RPG NOW, not somewhere in the distant future.

Dark Cloud is definitely an RPG. :P

My one great wish is that one day people will stop listing srpgs as jrpgs to buff up the ps3's lineup as they are practically a different genre imo. For example, I loved Tales of the world and Disgaea, but classing them as the same thing is like trying to lump pachinko and sudoku together because they are both games from Japan. Well, that's just my opinion. Sorry, I just get so disappointed by clicking a thread about a new jrpg coming out, only to find it is an srpg =/

HanzoTheRazor said:
@Majin-Tenshihan Hahaha, Troll? This term definitely gets thrown around these days. Seems a lot of people are anti-Sony Ok, firstly an exclusive PS3 Tales game was recently revealed in the Japanese gaming mag Famitsu, along with the 360 one and the Wii's too. Were u not aware of this? Secondly, I listed Only games that are exclusive and/or timed, except for FF13, which I mentioned for the 360 too. I also mentioned TLR, SO4 and ES for the 360. Heck, I own all 3 current platforms, so I am not a fanboy like most other people that are attacking this thread. The fact still remains that the PS3 will have more than the 360 come 09. Sure, the 360 has more right now, but for how long?

Hello. Zenfoldor here.

I have an issue with your topic.

I feel it has certain inaccuracies and formatting errors that quality if as "poor."

Both the HD consoles have & are receiving great Jrpg's. But, which will be King? That's easy, the PS3, & rightfully so. Why?- well, most people who own a PS3 love Jrpg's, but do most people who own a 360?- the answer is clearly, NO! Now to why. Here is a list of Jrpg's that are available & comming. PS3-FF13 verses, White Knight Chronicals, Valkyria Chronicals, Disgaea 3, Tears to Tiara, Folk Lore, ICO 3 and an exclusive Tales, [unofficially announced]. Also, many ShinMegamiTensei games, maybe a Dark Cloud & so many others yet to be announced too. Eternal Sonata, The Last Remnant & most likely SO4 are being ported with more content as well. 360-Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey, Tales of Vesperia & IU. Wow, sukunai [few] as the Japanese put it! To note; TLR, SO4 and ES are timed, but should have new content on the PS3 anyway. PS3* 8 definites, 2 maybes & 3 a bit late. 360* 4+3 timed exclusives & FF13 [multi]. So, why are people saying the 360 has more Jrpg's when clearly it DOESN'T? What do u think?

I call your attention to the first bolded sections starts with an assertion that would presume to explain why 360 owners dislike JRPGs. However, it then completely shifts gears into a list of available JRPGs, confusing the reader. You never finished your thought. I would be interested in hearing why you believe 360 owners don't like JRPGs as much as PS3 owners.

Next, your list of games for the PS3 verses the games for the 360 makes the assumption that games like Verses13 and WKS will stay exclusive, while apparently all significant 360 JRPGs are guranteed to go multiplat.

You also mentioned several games in the PS3 list that don't belong there. For instance, ICO 3 isn't a JRPG. Neither arguably is Folklore. To get technical, VC and D3 are actually SRPGs(if I recall), and finally, ShinMegamiTensei games and "maybe" Dark Cloud are assumptions.

The next inaccuracy lies in your assertion that people assume the 360 is the king of JRPGs. Indeed it is the king of upcoming JRPGs in the immediate future, but assuredly is is the king of all RPGs in general for a significant time to come, which is the more common stigmatization. This is the usual assertion and the subject of most of the comments you are combating. Games like Mass Effect, for instance, add to this stigma, as do subjects like the exclusive DLC for Fallout 3, or the upcoming release of Fable 2.

Another reason the RPG stigma follows the 360 recently is its aquisition of the biggest RPG around, Final Fantasy XIII, along with the current and soon to be released list of games that are in most peoples eyes the "cream of the crop" for JRPGs, which consist of new and old Square Enix IPs that will only be on the 360, at least for a little while. Folklore for instance, while being a great game imo, has no credibility with JRPG fans, if it even fits in that genre, which it doesn't.

Also, pretending that timed exclusivity doesn't matter would be all fine and well, but if that's true, would you allow FFXIII to be exclusive to the 360 for a year in exchange for added content?

Next, I wanna touch on your "wall of text" type posting. The grammar was poor, but that is forgivable. So is mine. It was also relatively short, which is good, but your thoughts are so jumbled together, it makes your post appear as a rant with no real reasoning behind it.

While your argument is actually plausible, though honestly improvable and very biased, the way you've presented it here is so poor, it's almost insulting to anyone who is unfortunate enough to click on your thread.

Regular fail. Learn from your mistakes.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

shanbcn said:
Three biggest JRPGs of this generation will come to PS3 and two of them are exclusive, WKS, FFXIII and FFvXIII.

lol, hilarious.

Dragon Quest? Kingdom Hearts? Star Ocean? Symphonia 2? Looks to me these are all bigger than WKC, of which we know next to nothing. Might as well say that Infinite Undiscovery is the biggest RPG this gen, that's just as stupid. Chances of FFvs13 being exclusive are very small once FF!3 sells great on 360.

Dark Cloud = Zelda = adventure.

Around the Network
shanbcn said:
Three biggest JRPGs of this generation will come to PS3 and two of them are exclusive, WKS, FFXIII and FFvXIII.

You only listed WKS because it's a PS3 exclusive. As if your Old Snake avatar wasn't enough to let us know your opinions before you even typed a word.

Since the great unrest, I've noticed a lot of Squall/Cloud avatars switching over to Snake. Loyalty, unlike ridicule, isn't as much of an asset for internet fanboys as I'd once believed.

It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

HanzoTheRazor said:
Both the HD consoles have & are receiving great Jrpg's. But, which will be King? That's easy, the PS3, & rightfully so. Why?- well, most people who own a PS3 love Jrpg's, but do most people who own a 360?- the answer is clearly, NO!

Now to why. Here is a list of Jrpg's that are available & comming.
PS3 only; FF13 verses, White Knight Chronicals, Valkyria Chronicals, Disgaea 3, Tears to Tiara and Folk Lore. Also, many ShinMegamiTensei games, maybe a Dark Cloud & so many others yet to be announced too. Multi; Eternal Sonata, The Last Remnant & most likely SO4 are being ported with more content as well.

360 only; Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey, Tales of Vesperia & IU. Wow, sukunai [few] as the Japanese put it! To note; TLR, SO4 and ES are timed, but should have new content on the PS3 anyway.
PS3* 7 definites, 2 maybes & 3 a bit late.
360* 4+3 timed exclusives & FF13 [multi].

So, why are people saying the 360 has more Jrpg's comming when clearly it DOESN'T?
What do u think?

poor guy :(

BengaBenga said:
shanbcn said:

lol, hilarious.

Dragon Quest? Kingdom Hearts? Star Ocean? Symphonia 2? Looks to me these are all bigger than WKC, of which we know next to nothing. Might as well say that Infinite Undiscovery is the biggest RPG this gen, that's just as stupid. Chances of FFvs13 being exclusive are very small once FF!3 sells great on 360.

Dark Cloud = Zelda = adventure.

WKC was forgotten before but when it appeared at TGS last year as a playable demo, the game got attention again then was forgotten again.  It will probably appear at TGS this year and it will get hyped again.  FF is not the only big RPG series anymore and I am not just talking about DQ and KH, I am also talking about Star Ocean, Tales, Disgaea and Shin Megami Tensei and I am sure if WKC has a sequel or two, it will become a big series.

The only ones confirmed on Western shores this year are Eternal Sonata, Valkyria Chronicles and Disgaea 3. If that floats your boat more than what you can play on the 360 by end of 2008, then all power to you.

PS3 is the HD console king of all gaming genres except for shooters. X360 is the shooter console.