By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sony is King of HD JRPG's!

ZenfoldorVGI said:
Onimusha12 said:

King of HD RPGs, is that really saying much?

Again Dodece shoots down another attempt to create hype for the PS3 with solid inarguable facts.

It's king of hd Jrpgs.

Everytime we bring up RPGs in general, we're told to stfu by sony fanboys, because they know they're owned.

The 360 is the king of RPGs.

It is also currently the king of JRPGs.

The only assertion in this thread by even the most diehard sony fanboy is that by the end of 2009, the PS3 will have caught up to the 360 in JRPGs. Nothing more. Pretending that Sony will soon be the king of all console RPGs is slightly delusional, imo.

When it comes to quality JRPGS this is no doubt, considering the pedagree of games like Star Ocean and the Tales series. Also with creators of Final Fantasy making Mistwalker which really favors the 360, and 3 original JRPGs from RPG experts Sqeenix. Lets not forget FFXIII now either. Tri-Ace has also proven themselves and now seem rather fond of the 360, despite what we think the Eternal Sonata's sales were. Must not have been too bad I guess, or they just want to give it another shot. What is Cry On?

Then we get to Western RPGs (WRPGs?). Fallout 3 is great, and multiplat. But Fable II and Too Human, both with proven and amazing devs are exclusive. A bit more sure, but I really don't feel like checking up on them.

I guess the point I'm making is that quality over quantity, 360 takes the lead, but if you want to look at it the other way, 360 still takes the lead with the amount of games. Really this is a dead argument, the victor is and has been clear.

GOTY Contestants this year: Dead Space 2, Dark Souls, Tales of Graces f. Everything else can suck it.

Around the Network

Fact is, RPGs are coming out for all systems. While the wii is always going to be lacking in the best RPGs, even the wii will have some good ones, eventually. I predict it will be a tie between ps3 and the 360. The end option for any true HC rpg gamer is to get all 3 systems. We had to do it before, we will do it again.

For those limited in money, you'll just have to figure out which system gets which games you want the most first.

/topic

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

^ What do you mean the wii is lagging behing with the best rpgs. The Tales series is going to the wii, monster hunter 3 is going to the wii, dragon quest will probably go to the wii, Kingdom Hearts will most likely go to the wii. Just because the wii doesn't have final fantasy doesn't mean it will be lagging behind. Also seeing as the wii has around 70% of the marketshare and its growing in japan I don't see how it will lag behind in JRpgs. Just look at this list. http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=33737&start=0

Edit: I forgot to mention first party efforts. Monolith soft, and camelot anyone?

@sc94597,

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF!

This is only my opinion but, gonna do you a favor and split the wheat from the chaff of those Wii RPGs you talkin about:

Wheat

Tales of Symphonia Dawn of the New World
Arc Rise Fantasia
Fragile: Farwell Ruins of the Moon
Camelot RPG
Tales of... Mothership

Chaff

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers
Rune Factory Frontier
Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo Dungeon
Soul Eater:Monotone Princess
Little King's Story
Oboro Muramasa Youtouden
Mysterious Dungeon Shiren the Wanderer 3: The Sleeping Princess in Karakuri Mansion
Legend of the River King
Moon's Peak

And the fact is some of those possible good Wii RPGs could end up trash. Some of the ones listed in that post are not even real RPGs.

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

@sc94597,

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF!

This is only my opinion but, gonna do you a favor and split the wheat from the chaff of those Wii RPGs you talkin about:

Wheat

Arc Rise Fantasia
Camelot RPG
Tales of... Mothership

Chaff

Rune Factory Frontier
Little King's Story
Oboro Muramasa Youtouden
Mysterious Dungeon Shiren the Wanderer 3: The Sleeping Princess in Karakuri Mansion
Legend of the River King
Moon's Peak

And the fact is some of those possible good Wii RPGs could end up trash.
Some of the ones listed in that post are not even real RPGs.

FFCC:TCB- The original and ring of fate were both above average, and this game seems to be more true to the Main Series if you seen the most recent trailer. http://youtube.com/watch?v=u_XC1e2H7-g It also seems to be of a higher budget than the original.

Rune Factory Fronteir- Again the ds games were above average, and imo excellent games.

Final Fantasy Fables; Chocobo Dungeon  While being a spinoff, based on reviews the game seems to be above average with an average ranking of 79.9%. Not AAA, but still good.

Little King Story- Now this isn't too much of a traditional rpg, but it has rpg elements, and some sites lable it as a sim/rpg so I put it up there. The game looks excellent though and hopefully will turn out well.

Oboro Muramasa Youtouden- This is a spirtual sequel to odin sphere and is being made by the same developer. Odin Sphere is another above average game.

I agree on shiren the wanderer.

I forgot to mention Monster Hunter 3 btw.The rest we know very little about.

@Bolded Couldn't that be the same for many of the ps360 rpgs like WKC, IU, etc? Also the games I mentioned as above average all have reviews in the same range of lost oddysey. So most of them are valid.

Around the Network
dharh said:
@sc94597,

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF!

Wheat

Arc Rise Fantasia
Camelot RPG
Tales of... Mothership

Chaff

Rune Factory Frontier
Little King's Story
Oboro Muramasa Youtouden
Legend of the River King
Moon's Peak

And the fact is some of those possible good Wii RPGs could end up trash. Some of the ones listed in that post are not even real RPGs.

As much as I like your avatar, I must ride to the defense of Little King's Story! I think it's going to be super.

@sc94597 and badgenome,

I respect your opinions. My point wasn't that Wii wouldn't get some quality ones, just that if your a HC RPGer then Wii will be lagging behind the other two consoles. I just fail to see more than a few RPGs currently on the Wii or incoming that meet that top quality must have RPG.

Some of those chaffs were first impressions, there isn't much known about the games. So in all fairness I should have added that "some of those possible bad Wii RPGs could end up AAA".

I love a FF game as much as the next FF fan, but the FF CC series is an offshoot (just like the dungeon series) that fails in every respect as a classic FF game. Many gamers like it, I couldn't play more than 10 hours.

On the flip side, for handhelds, DS wins hands down. In fact, until possibly the middle of next year the DS wins in against every console/handheld of this current gen.

@Dharh I guess we have different opinions. Btw I have all consoles and a gaming pc and still see the Wii having just as or more quality in its rpgs.

Monster Lab I believe is an RPG. Though admittidly I don't think it will rate well at all.

It's a game I bet i'll like though do to it's Front Mission collesuem similarities.

^ Isn't that a WRPG? We were talking specifically about Jrpgs. Monster Lab does look ok though.