By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sony is King of HD JRPG's!

@sc94597,

I own a wii as well, and do not currently own a 360 (though I play my friends) or a ps3. Except for DQ and Paper Mario (although paper mario is not really an RPG), I cannot find a single other RPG on the Wii worth playing right now. Some of that stems from the fact that I am strict in my definition of an RPG such that Zelda is definitely not an RPG, and is instead a really good hack and slasher dungeon crawler.

Also, I am not really differentiating between jrpgs and arpgs (american rpgs, or for that matter online rpgs).

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

Around the Network
Kasz216 said:
Monster Lab I believe is an RPG. Though admittidly I don't think it will rate well at all.

It's a game I bet i'll like though do to it's Front Mission collesuem similarities.

Monster Lab is not an RPG.  It is a simulation game

@dharh Zelda is an Action-Adventure. Also have you tried Fire Emblem? It's an Srpg, but very fun, and extremely hard. Oh and most Jrpgs won't come to the console until after 2-3 years. If you look at the ps3s already released games there aren't too many Jrpgs either. Also the ds didn't get most of its Jrpgs until last year and this year. Most of the good ones are still to come.

sc94597 said:

@dharh Zelda is an Action-Adventure. Also have you tried Fire Emblem? It's an Srpg, but very fun, and extremely hard. Oh and most Jrpgs won't come to the console until after 2-3 years. If you look at the ps3s already released games there aren't to many Jrpgs either.

Atleast until WKC comes out and sells 1 million copies WW(despite what Soriku says based on the sales of past Level 5 games)

^ I am going to say it depends on reviews. If it turns out to be excellent then 1 mln doesn't seem out of question, but if it turns out mediocre then probably not.

Around the Network
BengaBenga said:
shanbcn said:
Three biggest JRPGs of this generation will come to PS3 and two of them are exclusive, WKS, FFXIII and FFvXIII.

lol, hilarious.

Dragon Quest? Kingdom Hearts? Star Ocean? Symphonia 2? Looks to me these are all bigger than WKC, of which we know next to nothing. Might as well say that Infinite Undiscovery is the biggest RPG this gen, that's just as stupid. Chances of FFvs13 being exclusive are very small once FF!3 sells great on 360.

Dark Cloud = Zelda = adventure.

Dark Cloud is nothing like Zelda.  I bought it because Sony promised a Zelda-like experience before it was released, only to find out the two were completely different. It was still a great game, but it was nothing like Zelda.

sc94597 said:
^ I am going to say it depends on reviews. If it turns out to be excellent then 1 mln doesn't seem out of question, but if it turns out mediocre then probably not.

We should be glad to know that WKC has more things going for it than against it.  Like for example, the talent of the developer and that Level 5 don't want to rush the game out the door

Riachu said:
sc94597 said:

We should be glad to know that WKC has more things going for it than against it.  Like for example, the talent of the developer and that Level 5 don't want to rush the game out the door

Agreed, and its one of my most hyped games for the ps3, but it could turn out bad. So I'm going to wait until we see more.

sc94597 said:
Riachu said:
sc94597 said:

Agreed, and its one of my most hyped games for the ps3, but it could turn out bad. So I'm going to wait until we see more.

The issue with Level 5's games are usually marketing over quality.  Dark Cloud was one of the first JRPGs on the ps2, and Sony marketed it heavily.  I remember seeing tv commercials taht compared it to Zelda (though it wasn't really all that like Zelda).  It sold pretty well because of this.  Dark Cloud 2 came out a year or two later and surpassed the first in every way.  It's considered by many to be Level 5's best game.  However, it sold like crap, because Sony didn't push it at all.  I didn't even find out it existed until years later when I saw a used copy on a shelf at GameStop.

makingmusic476 said:
sc94597 said:
Riachu said:
sc94597 said:

We should be glad to know that WKC has more things going for it than against it. Like for example, the talent of the developer and that Level 5 don't want to rush the game out the door

The issue with Level 5's games are usually marketing over quality. Dark Cloud was one of the first JRPGs on the ps2, and Sony marketed it heavily. I remember seeing tv commercials taht compared it to Zelda (though it wasn't really all that like Zelda). It sold pretty well because of this. Dark Cloud 2 came out a year or two later and surpassed the first in every way. It's considered by many to be Level 5's best game. However, it sold like crap, because Sony didn't push it at all. I didn't even find out it existed until years later when I saw a used copy on a shelf at GameStop.

Sony is touting WKC as one of its big exclusives for the PS3 so I doubt Sony would release WKC without a decent marketing push.