By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Final Fantasy XIII to PC?

IllegalPaladin said:
I just found this on Kotaku,

http://kotaku.com/5028961/of-course-final-fantasy-xiii-is-pc-bound

"Yes, yes, we know. While some just seem to be figuring this out, Final Fantasy XIII is coming to the Xbox 360 *and* the PC. Square Enix announced this way back at its E3 press conference. Probably going lost in the jaw-dropping Xbox 360 announcement. To review, here's how the FFXIII development cycle is going down: First do the PS3 version, then the PC version and then the Xbox 360 version. And hey, there's been Final Fantasy games on the PC game before, so this isn't exactly something out of left field."

More proof that Kotaku can be really full of sh*t at times.

Around the Network
WiiStation360 said:
Wait, did I miss the big press event when MS gloated about how great the PC gaming platform is now that they are getting FFXIII, along with showing off the tons of other games coming to the PC? Oh yeah, I forgot they don't care about PC gaming anymore.

It would not surprise me if MS paid SE to hold back a PC version of FFXIII to help out the 360.

Microsoft wouldn't be the one to announce a PC version of FFXIII anyway.  Just because games work on Windows doesn't mean Microsoft develops or pays for it.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

TheRealMafoo said:
theprof00 said:
TheRealMafoo said:
I don't trust that article, but what is known (and said above a few times), is the PC version would not be a port. It's the original. All others would be a port.

From a logical perspective, it makes no sense not to release it on the PC. SE has publicly stated that they feel the time of exclusives is over.

I would expect to see Versus on the PS3, 360, and PC as well.

it's the original in a sense that they are using pc language to program which is then being translated, HOWEVER.... ps3 is the primary operating environment.

I don't even know what a "PC language" is, and I am a developer :p.

SE has stated that the game is currently running on the PC. Not coded there, running. If the game was to much for the PC, it would be too much for the 360.

Just leave it man, he lives in denial... I really wonder if he really has some development background or he just love to talk nonsense...

By me:

Made with Blender + LuxRender
"Since you can´t understand ... there is no point to taking you seriously."
TheRealMafoo said:
theprof00 said:
TheRealMafoo said:
I don't trust that article, but what is known (and said above a few times), is the PC version would not be a port. It's the original. All others would be a port.

From a logical perspective, it makes no sense not to release it on the PC. SE has publicly stated that they feel the time of exclusives is over.

it's the original in a sense that they are using pc language to program which is then being translated, HOWEVER.... ps3 is the primary operating environment.

I don't even know what a "PC language" is, and I am a developer :p.

SE has stated that the game is currently running on the PC. Not coded there, running. If the game was to much for the PC, it would be too much for the 360.

you know a language other than the one the ps3 uses. One that pc devs know better. or was that too hard to formulate mr. dev? It's like writing in perl, and having a program translate it to javascript (now im not a programmer, so i don't know much about those two languages, but it's obvious to see that you can't do things in certain languages as you can in others) For that reason it is good to have an engine to translate. (ex:java->ps3 language whatever that it)

i think it's obvious that if the game is too much for the pc it's too much for anything, so your logic there says nothing really.

lol fj i really don't get what's so hard about understanding this.

Even if the game was somehow programmed on the 360, if the ps3 is the target, the archetype, then it is still not a port. Why is this so difficult. A port implies a change from the original because of inability. The PC version will not be different from the ps3 version, and if anything will also have reduced audio and video quality, or many discs!

I know that this is ironic, and irony is already far beyond you but please, don't make yourselves look bad.

this is a simpe case of vocabulary.

if it is developed FOR something, then it is not a port.

A PC to console port is like bioshock.

It rivals other pc games in its quality. Once it gets ported to a console, it doesn't look quite as good anymore, though still good.

Even when Mortal kombat went to the gameboy it still wasn't a port. you really just don't understand the concept do you.

theprof00 said:
TheRealMafoo said:
theprof00 said:
TheRealMafoo said:

I don't even know what a "PC language" is, and I am a developer :p.

you know a language other than the one the ps3 uses. or was that too hard to formulate mr. dev?

i think it's obvious that if the game is too much for the pc it's too much for anything, so your logic there says nothing really.

Lol, like I said, you keep stalking nonsense...

The game "is not too much for the pc", is developed on the and for PC because is cheaper, then they port the code to make it run on the PS3 using their own dev tools... they are not pushing the limits of the PC they are just putting the game on the cheapest common denomitator...

Let me put you in this way...

PC (x86) then port > PS3 (PPC+SPUs)

They claimed, the game is already running on PC, even if they don´t realease the PC version, the game is there, then they are working on making run on the PS3, this is due to the different architecture, they need another compiled version for use with the PPC and the SPUs, funny thing that the PPC should run Cg code and the SPU C/C++...

The PS3 dev languaje is Cg a version of C created with the idea of making Graphics units better, faster and more advanced...

OpenGl Es is for the RSX, and the own Sony implementation is called PSGL I think, is supposed to be able to run shaders trough Cg and the GLSL (Shader Languaje)...

The PC aproach would be C/C++ and OpenGL, and since the PS3 don´t use those languajes (Cg and OpenGL ES) that would requiere a port..

Btw, your own definition of a port still is wrong, since port is doesn´t only apply to games:

"This is an unofficial definition, but a game that must be limited in order to stay in line with the primary market version, is a port."

The best example I could find is Folding @ Home, the code can run on x86 like your PC and mine, but since they port it to the PS3 and they manage to get it working on the SPU a single PS3 crushes any PC out there...

Why do you want to keep discussin things that you don´t understand (like you know a lot about them)???

By me:

Around the Network

first off "therealmafoo" said that if the game were too much for the pc, it would be too much for the 360.
That like i've said is false assertion. That would indicate that the pc version was initial. that they put everything they wanted to into the pc version, and would then have to cut out things for the ps360.
the game isn't too much for the pc. In fact it is underwhelming. This is because the ps3 version is the CIELING. figure it out man

well folding at home isn't really much of a "marketable" app is it?
as for your definition, it only serves to help me.
Also re-read my post, it took you a long to to write that, and i edited it.
The fact of the matter is that the game is being written on pc only because it is cheaper. The coding is not going to end there my friend. the final product will be a mix of pc coding and the ps3's own coding. They have coders that know ps3 language. Whom will run through and make everything suitable.

The ps3 version is stated to be the target version.
therefore not a port.

you will eat your words someday sir

theprof00 said:

first off "therealmafoo" said that if the game were too much for the pc, it would be too much for the 360.
That like i've said is false assertion. That would indicate that the pc version was initial. that they put everything they wanted to into the pc version, and would then have to cut out things for the ps360.
the game isn't too much for the pc. In fact it is underwhelming. This is because the ps3 version is the CIELING. figure it out man

well folding at home isn't really much of a "marketable" app is it?
as for your definition, it only serves to help me.
Also re-read my post, it took you a long to to write that, and i edited it.
The fact of the matter is that the game is being written on pc only because it is cheaper. The coding is not going to end there my friend. the final product will be a mix of pc coding and the ps3's own coding. They have coders that know ps3 language. Whom will run through and make everything suitable.

The ps3 version is stated to be the target version.
therefore not a port.

you will eat your words someday sir

Like I said, learn first what are the languajes of the platforms, what coding means, what porting means, and then maybe you will get it but I doub it, and since here is no point on keeping this (You don´t even code, ence you don´t understand how the development works) I done with this, thanks for sharing your ignorance of the subject like a real pro...

BTW now porting only can be aplied to comercial and marketable apps, lol...

By me: