By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 360 DVD better then PS3 Blu Ray for Gaming

I think the shortcomings of GTAIV (where of course multiple discs was entirely unfeasible) demonstrate which is better for gaming. If the game had been PS3 exclusive it would have been able to genuinely expand and improve on San Andreas, rather than receive a big graphical update at the expense of almost everything else.

Around the Network
ferret1603 said:
Or even better 'than'.

Crap! 

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

gebx said:
DMeisterJ said:
Failthread?

There are plenty of games that don't use installs, that are really good games. Uncharted comes to mind first. Ratchet does too.

So I'm not gonna put down a preference since awesome games don't have to have installs.

I'm not bashing those games or saying their bad. I'm just using MGS 4 as the example since it is one of the latest games that pushes the PS3 to its limits. Uncharted and Ratchet are both great games, but they both could fit on one DVD. Arn't half the disc space for those games uncompressed sound files (Or is that HS?)

That was Heavenly Sword.

Whether or not both games are DVD size is unkown.

lost oddyssey 4 discs 35gb
blue dragon 3 discs

mgs4 1 disc 50gb

dvd is better than blu ray

gebx said:
DMeisterJ said:
Failthread?

There are plenty of games that don't use installs, that are really good games. Uncharted comes to mind first. Ratchet does too.

So I'm not gonna put down a preference since awesome games don't have to have installs.

I'm not bashing those games or saying their bad. I'm just using MGS 4 as the example since it is one of the latest games that pushes the PS3 to its limits. Uncharted and Ratchet are both great games, but they both could fit on one DVD. Arn't half the disc space for those games uncompressed sound files (Or is that HS?)

Uncompressed sound is just more delicious icing... that comes standard.

Around the Network
Leetgeek said:
I would prefer it on Bluray and the and the fact that PS3 plays bluray movies is just icing on the cake. Now as for bluray drives being slower then DVD drives, I'm not sure how or why this is possible, I'm guessing it's not. But mabey blurays read slower because they are processing more information?

Close.. Since so much data is pack on a Blu Ray disc the diodes have to be extremely accurate forcing the drives to spin slower. As with all technologies, it improves over time and faster drives will be produced.

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

If I had the option, I would choose the install. MGS4 or FF would require many trips to change disks. Also, developers would be forced to cut content quality to reduce the number of DVDs. The 360's dvd drive can only run at 8x for dual layer dvds, so I imagine your load times would be pretty long without an install.

Thanks for the input, Jeff.

DMeisterJ said:
Failthread?

Uncharted doesn't even load! It loads once (when u load ur save file) and then u can play the entire game w/o ever seeing a loading screen. I would guess that it doesn't fit on one DVD, but that's just me.

epic fail

Let see how would GT5 work if it's on DVD.

Do I change disc if I play certain tracks or pick certain cars?

So if I just done racing with the GT-R on Suzuka and I want to make a race on Daytona with the Ferrari, I need to change disc in between?