By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 360 DVD better then PS3 Blu Ray for Gaming

Currently DVDs are better than Blu-ray for gaming. There are PC drives out with 4x speed implemented for Blu-ray. 4x Blu-ray by the way is faster than 12x DVD. 144mbps>126.6mbps. If the PS3 drives are implemented with 4x Blu-ray drives later in the generation, I can guarentee you we'll be seeing more optional installs and some patches to make mandatory installs optional. Load times will also be on par if not faster than DVD load times.

Does anybody have any information on the PS2 DVD drives from the original fat PS2 to the current slim? Because I notice faster load times on my friends slim than my fats...I think the slims have faster drives.

PSN: Lone_Canis_Lupus

Around the Network
Fishie said:
SnakeEyez said:
DMeisterJ said:
Failthread?

There are plenty of games that don't use installs, that are really good games. Uncharted comes to mind first. Ratchet does too.

So I'm not gonna put down a preference since awesome games don't have to have installs.

Uncharted doesn't even load! It loads once (when u load ur save file) and then u can play the entire game w/o ever seeing a loading screen. I would guess that it doesn't fit on one DVD, but that's just me.

But its quite a lengthy load, and that is because its installing.

Play it again after turning it of and the initial load will be shorter because the files are still cached on the HDD, play another game inbetween Unchartered sessions and it is longer again because it has to reinstall files.

And Halo 3 doesn't have a lenghty initial load time?  Seriously, load up a co-op game.  Don't worry, I'll wait the minute or 2 it takes to load up.

I never did input the time it takes of installing the games on PS3 to the time it takes to swap a game disc. You've got a good point there. Now I REALLY don't care about paying $100 extra dollars so I don't have to sap discs.

GOTY Contestants this year: Dead Space 2, Dark Souls, Tales of Graces f. Everything else can suck it.

bobobologna said:
Fishie said:
SnakeEyez said:
DMeisterJ said:
Failthread?

There are plenty of games that don't use installs, that are really good games. Uncharted comes to mind first. Ratchet does too.

So I'm not gonna put down a preference since awesome games don't have to have installs.

Uncharted doesn't even load! It loads once (when u load ur save file) and then u can play the entire game w/o ever seeing a loading screen. I would guess that it doesn't fit on one DVD, but that's just me.

Play it again after turning it of and the initial load will be shorter because the files are still cached on the HDD, play another game inbetween Unchartered sessions and it is longer again because it has to reinstall files.

And Halo 3 doesn't have a lenghty initial load time?  Seriously, load up a co-op game.  Don't worry, I'll wait the minute or 2 it takes to load up.

True. Story. I was at a friends party and they loaded up Halo 3, gave me a controller and started a match and I was like "Wtf is taking so long? o.O Isn't DVD 12x supposed to be really fast?"

PSN: Lone_Canis_Lupus

colonelstubbs said:

Dvds cant produce the visual or audio quality of blu-ray.

'nuff said

Oh so now its Blu Ray that produces the audio and visuals in games?

ITS A FRIGGIN STORAGE FORMAT, it does jackshit but store ones and zeros, it cant do anything else.

Around the Network
Fanatical111 said:
EdGuila said:
They way I see it, that as some point in the near future the PS3 will surpass the 360 in total hardware sales(March 09' IMO). Further down the time line around Jan 2010 developers are going to start arriving at DVD9's limits for storage.

The choice will be to develop on a single disc for a system that has more gaming units, or develop multiple discs for a console that has less units. Bluray ensures there are plenty of years left for us to play as opposed to having to buy a new machine every 4(Xbox) or 5(360) years and just buy one (PS3) and use it for 10.

I guarentte you that when the next microsoft console rolls around Sony will be next on the ball.  Think about how much better technology is already.  Do you really think that Sony will sit by and watch MS come out with a machine that dwarfs the PS3 cause you no by that time whatever they come out with will. 

Well when you consider how hard the 1st year was for Sony with only a 9million gap in units that the 360 had on it, just think of how hard it will be for the new XBox with PS3 having a (in 2010)50-60million lead in units?  The SNES struggled against Genesis in it's first year.  Plus what can the new XBox add to it?  More powerful processing?  But the games will mostly likely play on Bluray which the PS3 with it's 50-60million lead will already have had.  The PS3 will be $200 by 2010.  Microsoft will not be able to bribe, pay off and tell developers what they can't and can't do for other consoles because PS3 will be so far ahead and not need to be replaced anytime soon because of bluray capacity. 

The cost for MS to continue with their "I'll bribe you if you do this for us and only us and not them" will be too expensive with PS3 having a huge lead.  It's still expensive right now for MS to bribe developers with the PS3 behind by 5.5million.  Just think of what MS will have to pay developers to force them to carry out their wishes if the situation was vice versa x10(55 million gap).  Developers will have to choose between developing bluray games on a system with a 50million install base or a system with a 0 install base.  Also it would require gamers to buy new accessories.

So releasing a new Xbox in the middle of a PS3 reign would be the worst thing MS could do.  The best thing they could do is try to keep the release of the new Xbox console a bit further closer to the PS3s end in 2015 and then release it 2 years ahead of the PS4.  But with the limits DVD9 has left them with the only way the 360 will make it to 2015 is by addons, kind of like Sega Genesis came out with the Sega CD to help extend it's life against the SNES.  A bluray add on and market it better than Sega did the Sega CD.  Developers would still develop for the 360 once DVD9s limits are reached but it will be so much easier to do it all on one disc and PS3 will be ahead in sales anyways.  Similar to how games were still possible on the N64 but were such a breeze to do on the PS1 with not having to worry about 5 cartridges or space restrictions they could ne liberal with their games.

PSN: EDguila

PS3 library:  Motorstorm, Assasin's Creed, Orange Box, Uncharted:DF, Metal Gear Solid 4, Resistance:FOM, Rachet & Clank Future:ToD,

Near future: Folklore, SOCOM Confrontation, BioShock, Little Big Planet, Resistance 2.

bobobologna said:
Fishie said:
SnakeEyez said:
DMeisterJ said:
Failthread?

Yeah, talk about screwing things up, Bungie definetly did with that game.

Lets hope their new one corrects that crap.

slimeattack said:
Anyone who thinks that blu-ray drives are slower check wikipedia.

Ps3 Blu-Ray drive @ 2X = 72Mbits/S

Xbox 360 DVD Drive @ 12X = 127Mbits/S

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD (check Speed chart for a 12X drive)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray (Check speed chart for a 2X drive)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ps3 (check the hardware section for drive speed)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_360_hardware (check section on drive speed)

You Sir Fail

Kickin' Those Games Old School.       -       201 Beaten Games And Counting

I dont know if this has been mentioned. But with the recently announced attention to the 360 it will get a install machanic that will allow you to install the games to your HDD...well if 3 mins is tough on people how in the hell are people gonna be happy installing 4 discs in the disc drive? that's pretty damn close to 20mins excuse me how long was devil may cry's install time that people where complaining about? The blu ray was the way to go cus not only does it make for a cleaner neater space. But also if you break one disc damn there goes your game. Yes of course you can break one disc. but you are more likely to break a mulitple disc collection by switching every time you wanna play...I have more agruments but i'm listening to techno which is calming my mind right now and its hard to think ^_^ any one care to join me?

Renai_Kakume said:

I dont know if this has been mentioned. But with the recently announced attention to the 360 it will get a install machanic that will allow you to install the games to your HDD...well if 3 mins is tough on people how in the hell are people gonna be happy installing 4 discs in the disc drive? that's pretty damn close to 20mins excuse me how long was devil may cry's install time that people where complaining about? The blu ray was the way to go cus not only does it make for a cleaner neater space. But also if you break one disc damn there goes your game. Yes of course you can break one disc. but you are more likely to break a mulitple disc collection by switching every time you wanna play...I have more agruments but i'm listening to techno which is calming my mind right now and its hard to think ^_^ any one care to join me?

22minute+