By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 360 DVD better then PS3 Blu Ray for Gaming

First off let me say that its way better to see a movie on Blu Ray then on DVD. But this thread (and video consoles) isn't about movies but games.

Games are getting bigger and more complex, the pinnacle of video gaming on the PS3 console is currently MGS 4. The game is a masterpiece in many ways. Its a game that we all know would take multiple DVD's if it ever goes to the 360. I personally believe it will be a PS3 exclusive forever! But let's pretend the game does make it to the 360 and 360 users are forced to switch disc each act of the game. This would be seen as a negative on the 360... but is it?

Well let's compare!

- 360 users would have to switch disc 4 to 5 times, wasting about 30-45 seconds per switch
- PS3 users have to install new acts 4 times, wasting 1-3 minutes per install

I'm not even counting the 8 minute install needed at the start of the game, but it does seem that a 30-45 sec "switch" is less intrusive then a 3 minute install. I see no reason why this trend isn't followed in other big complex games such as FFXIII. PS3 users arn't complaining and 360 users are even getting the option in the upcoming patches. In the end it comes down to gamer's preferences, so I ask...

What would you prefer?

*MGS 4 install time http://dlb-network.com/2008/06/metal-gear-solid-4-install-time-break-down/

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

Around the Network

Failthread?

There are plenty of games that don't use installs, that are really good games. Uncharted comes to mind first. Ratchet does too.

So I'm not gonna put down a preference since awesome games don't have to have installs.

Lets wait to FF for a real fight :)

Because probably this thread won´t end well..

By me:

Made with Blender + LuxRender
"Since you can´t understand ... there is no point to taking you seriously."

Wouldn't there be some load time putting it over and above the 45 seconds to switch disks? Whatever the case, I prefer one disc simply because I'm so lazy. Besides, I'd rather use the time to take a bite out of a sandwich than change disks. But that's just me.

I would prefer it on Bluray and the and the fact that PS3 plays bluray movies is just icing on the cake. Now as for bluray drives being slower then DVD drives, I'm not sure how or why this is possible, I'm guessing it's not. But mabey blurays read slower because they are processing more information?

Around the Network

Or even better 'than'.

Anyone who thinks that blu-ray drives are slower check wikipedia.

More space is ALWAYS a good thing when it comes to data storage. Saying that multiple DVDs is somehow an advantage over a single BD is ludicrous. Some people love to say how nobody will fill a BD-50, but I'd like to remind those people that the same thing was once said about CDs and then DVDs.

Keep this in mind when reading what I type...

I've been gaming longer than many of you have been alive.

DMeisterJ said:
Failthread?

There are plenty of games that don't use installs, that are really good games. Uncharted comes to mind first. Ratchet does too.

So I'm not gonna put down a preference since awesome games don't have to have installs.

I'm not bashing those games or saying their bad. I'm just using MGS 4 as the example since it is one of the latest games that pushes the PS3 to its limits. Uncharted and Ratchet are both great games, but they both could fit on one DVD. Arn't half the disc space for those games uncompressed sound files (Or is that HS?)

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

damn...this thread is low
should have included wii