By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 360 DVD better then PS3 Blu Ray for Gaming

kanariya said:
Let see how would GT5 work if it's on DVD.

Do I change disc if I play certain tracks or pick certain cars?

So if I just done racing with the GT-R on Suzuka and I want to make a race on Daytona with the Ferrari, I need to change disc in between?

Gran Turismo 2 was multiple discs.

Around the Network

Blu Ray is technically better for gaming since using multiple disks for one game can get costly and look how the US version of Lost Odyssey was packaged. They put 3 disks on one spindle and the last one in a paper slip. There are people even complained that some of the LO disks aren't working very well because of the way they are packaged. That's is why Blue Ray is better in certain ways then DVD

This thread has been approved for fail status.

They both have advantages and disadvantages.

As in go buy us some coffee.

http://speedhunters.com

I think gamers fail to understand the whole DVD-9 versus Blu-Ray media. DVD-9 is an older technology that has been streamlined allowing for audio compression, texture compression, image compression and so on.

Blu-Ray as no compression technologies at present. A game like Mass effect for example is probably 20-25gbs uncompressed but still fits on 1 DVD-9 disk. Think about that for a second.

I think this whole concept gets blown out of proportion. The big thing for me is the graphical differences and IMO they are really small. MGS looks amazing dont get me wrong but I dont think it is yards ahead of anything on the 360.

Even looking at KZ2 vids, sure they look stellar but really are they that much better then what the 360 can do. Personally, I don't think so. I take a look at a game like Mass Effect or watch a Gears of War 2 video and I am just as impressed as I am when playing MGS4.

In the end, Blu Ray's advantages are for movies not for games. Sure it is nice to have a game on 1 disk but really has no tangiable advantages.

The installation is to lower load times, it isn't a must, but game developpers take an advantage of that. The 360 version on 5 discs would have probably made you download as well if all 360's had a hard drive.

Around the Network

They way I see it, that as some point in the near future the PS3 will surpass the 360 in total hardware sales(March 09' IMO). Further down the time line around Jan 2010 developers are going to start arriving at DVD9's limits for storage.

The choice will be to develop on a single disc for a system that has more gaming units, or develop multiple discs for a console that has less units. Bluray ensures there are plenty of years left for us to play as opposed to having to buy a new machine every 4(Xbox) or 5(360) years and just buy one (PS3) and use it for 10.

PSN: EDguila

PS3 library:  Motorstorm, Assasin's Creed, Orange Box, Uncharted:DF, Metal Gear Solid 4, Resistance:FOM, Rachet & Clank Future:ToD,

Near future: Folklore, SOCOM Confrontation, BioShock, Little Big Planet, Resistance 2.

EdGuila said:
They way I see it, that as some point in the near future the PS3 will surpass the 360 in total hardware sales(March 09' IMO). Further down the time line around Jan 2010 developers are going to start arriving at DVD9's limits for storage.

The choice will be to develop on a single disc for a system that has more gaming units, or develop multiple discs for a console that has less units. Bluray ensures there are plenty of years left for us to play as opposed to having to buy a new machine every 4(Xbox) or 5(360) years and just buy one (PS3) and use it for 10.

I guarentte you that when the next microsoft console rolls around Sony will be next on the ball.  Think about how much better technology is already.  Do you really think that Sony will sit by and watch MS come out with a machine that dwarfs the PS3 cause you no by that time whatever they come out with will. 

Fishie said:
SnakeEyez said:
DMeisterJ said:
Failthread?

There are plenty of games that don't use installs, that are really good games. Uncharted comes to mind first. Ratchet does too.

So I'm not gonna put down a preference since awesome games don't have to have installs.

Uncharted doesn't even load! It loads once (when u load ur save file) and then u can play the entire game w/o ever seeing a loading screen. I would guess that it doesn't fit on one DVD, but that's just me.

But its quite a lengthy load, and that is because its installing.

Play it again after turning it of and the initial load will be shorter because the files are still cached on the HDD, play another game inbetween Unchartered sessions and it is longer again because it has to reinstall files.

The load was not a "lengthy load", it was normal to me, I didn't mind. Oh and I'll take one "lengthy load" at the beginning of the game and never see a loading screen again, than seeing many "normal loads" that mess up the mood of the game.

I've played games in between "Unchartered sessions" and it didn't feel longer.

Dvds cant produce the visual or audio quality of blu-ray.

'nuff said

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot

this is why I don't get why people hate cartriges.

lets look at the negatives of discs,

dvd and bluray.
- load times
- have to install to hdd
- disc swapping
- can scratch
- can snap easily
- laser drive eventually burns out
- discs deterirate over time

a cartrige (these days) can easily be 50gb if they wanted to make it. Hell you can get 16gb SB cards and like 64gb Memory sticks these days. The only downfall they have is they are expensive to make (maybe not so now who knows).

Positives
- No load times
- solid built and proven to work for years (look at NES, ATARI, etcc cartiges most still work fine, unless they been abused).
- no laser to burn out
- no need for installs

I swear Nintendo will one day go back to a cartige/SD type base storage for their games. The only thing that will make this happen is if they find a cheap way of doing it for a huge amount of storage space.