By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - This trend of spitting on casual gamers...

One of the biggest problems with arguing whether videogames are art is that most people do not know or understand what art is. In a very vague and general sense art is a form of indirectly communicating (typically complicated) information about a (often taboo) subject.

Videogames as a medium have the potential to produce works of art but most games are not art

Around the Network
ssj12 said:
Bodhesatva said:
ckmlb said:
Bodhesatva said:
ckmlb said:

Blaaaaa

Blaaaaaaaaa

Blaaaaaaaa

umm... if we are talking about games that will twist your mind with it's puzzle or mind bending challenges, tomb raider, god of war, Command and Conquer, and Warcraft (not WoW) all have insanely difficult puzzles or tests that will take you a while figure out how to solve the problem in order to move on. I've played Brain Age and Big Brain Academy. I had a more fun and difficulty solving the puzzles in God of War and God of War 2 then playing the Brain games.

It´s true other games also "force" you to use your brain, but that´s something different.

Brain Training only helps if you use special kind of puzzles/ challenges.

Example: You can think about the deepest mysteries of our universe 3 hours a day, but your brain will still get "old". Solving easy math questions like 7x5, 4x6, etc. do help to keep your brain working properly.

this is long to explain, but believe me: Brain Training helps. Sudoku for example doesn´t help. Ask Ryuuta Kawashima   (for all who didn´t know: Yes he really exists and he is a well kown...well whatever the englsh word for it is )

Katilian said:
Bodhesatva said:

You're absolutely right! Most people of all ages aren't interested in art. The few people that are, generally speaking, are:

1) Well educated

2) Adults

Do you see a problem here? I do! The last time they took a census of video gamers (the same ones where they find the "Average age" of gamers), they found that the average gamer was

1) Less educated than average

2) About 23

Look, if you're just going to insist that well educated adults aren't going to want artistic games (although they've shown some signs of it already, as The Sims and Civilization are certainly both artistic and both were played much more heavily by adults than the average game), but somehow 23 year old males are going to love games that are intellectually and emotionally sophisticated (even though the games you name that might be directed at them -- Okami and Ico, as best examples, have bombed) then I'm not sure this conversation can go on. Of course we're speaking in generalities here; there are no grand studies that give us a good concensus on such things, nor can we even come to a conclusion on what "art" is. This is an abstract discussion about psychological sophistication. All we can possibly have in this discussion are generalities, and yours is a generality that is so obviously false I don't know how to continue.

Just get back to me when you can reasonably claim that any serious artistic medium -- with sophisticated intellectual, thematic, or emotional content -- is thoroughly enjoyed by masses of young, less educated males, but is of no interest to well educated adults.

Firstly I'll correct you on the average age of gamers. According to the ESA "The average game player is 33 years old and has been playing games for 12 years." link They also say that "In 2005, 25 percent of Americans over the age of 50 played video games, an increase from nine percent in 1999." Looks like there is quite a large number of gamers who would fall into the age group you suggest 'knows art'.

Now they don't give stats on the average intellegence of gamers, but I think you're trying to objectify the definition of art. You'll notice I've bolded a section of your paragraph. I'd suggest that you can never come to a concensus of what art is. Art is subjective. Just because it caters to different people, doesn't mean its any less artistic. You also suggest artwork is 'sophisticated intellectual, thematic, or emotional content'. Now while most art that people in your definition of art would probably agree with that, there are also works of art which don't fall into any of those. The one which came to mind while reading that is John Cage's 4:33. If you aren't familar with this peice, it is a song which consists of 4 minutes and 33 seconds of silence. This is pretty much as minimalist as music gets (although one could argue the peice could be shorter :P) and really contains no sophistication at all. Yet musical scholars around the world consider this musical work art.

The problem with defining art to be high art, is that artworks that fall into this category a) have withstood the test of time and b) are classified by, as you've mentioned, older people. Firstly, video games have only been around for approximately 40 years, approximately half the lifespan of someone. They've been around even less in the mainstream. This leads me to my second point, that these older people didn't grow up playing games. They don't have the early life experience of video games. I'm sure if younger people these days didn't have video games, they would enjoy more of the things you consider art. It is just games offer something which almost all of these classic artworks don't. Interactivity. Theater and music sometime supply this (hence why people would prefer to go to the theater or see a concert rather than just watch it on tv) and it is a big drawcard.

This interactivity leads me to my next point. Why do people only focus on the 'interactivity' of games when trying to argue them as art. Last time I checked, games had a lot of the same elements as movies. Sound, visuals and storyline. If any of these three were extracted from a game, they would most likely be considered art (in regards to most of these, you'll probably want to consider an RPG to be the best example). So why now, when we place these into a game, does the resulting product not get classified as art? Using our rpg example, many of them have ochestral soundtracks, impressive visuals (if you want to argue that computer rendering isn't art, remember there are computer generated movies) and sophistcated and indepth story lines.

You've looked up the wrong information -- the "game player" includes casual gamers that play Bejewled online, or Tetris on a game boy, and these significantly bump the average. In fact, playing "Solitaire" that comes packed with your PC every now and then makes you a gamer, according to the rules of the ESA. Look up the average console gamer, and you will find the average age is 23 as of 2004. This is actually even worse than your initial conclusion: it suggests that console gamers are PARTICULARLY lagging behind in maturity compared to all gamers in general (if anyone can find a link to this, I'd appreciate it, as the data is 3 years old).

Your point about adults not playing these games growing up is valid, to an extent: it would be a perfect explanation if adults weren't playing SOME games. Let's just assume that your explanation is valid. Then how do you explain why they play games such as "The Sims," "Brain Age" and "Civilization" in much greater numbers than others? This suggests that the problem isn't that the older people aren't willing to play games at all; they're just not willing to play games about blowing up space aliens.

It also doesn't explain why girls tend to play those types of games less. If this were simply a matter of older people not "getting it," then why are young girls not "getting it" either? And why are they playing games like Cooking Mama and The Sims instead of God of War? There are really two explanations, then:

1) Young males "get it," and are the only ones to appreciate this new, profound art. Adults and women are willing to play other titles, such as "The Sims," but aren't willing to engage in the deep stuff.

2) It's not a profound art. It's just a playground for young males, and like all playgrounds for young males, young women and adults really aren't very interested.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Bodhesatva said:
Katilian said:
Bodhesatva said:

Your point about adults not playing these games growing up is valid, to an extent: it would be a perfect explanation if adults weren't playing SOME games. Let's just assume that your explanation is valid. Then how do you explain why they play games such as "The Sims," "Brain Age" and "Civilization" in much greater numbers than others? This suggests that the problem isn't that the older people aren't willing to play games at all; they're just not willing to play games about blowing up space aliens.

It also doesn't explain why girls tend to play those types of games less. If this were simply a matter of older people not "getting it," then why are young girls not "getting it" either? And why are they playing games like Cooking Mama and The Sims instead of God of War? There are really two explanations, then:

1) Young males "get it," and are the only ones to appreciate this new, profound art. Adults and women are willing to play other titles, such as "The Sims," but aren't willing to engage in the deep stuff.

2) It's not a profound art. It's just a playground for young males, and like all playgrounds for young males, young women and adults really aren't very interested.

Most adults I know think that games are just about jumping around to collect coins and avoid falling into holes. It seems to me that most people who didn't grow up with gaming look down on video games and just aren't willing to try them. It's their loss I suppose. My mother is an example. I've had no luck convincing her that games can sometimes have storylines that are as interesting as all these novels she reads or films that she watches. She just thinks that only children and geeks play games. 

People who don't play games don't realise that there are many other genres besides from shooters, racers, sports games or those aimed at kids. Me and my best friend persuaded her dad to play FFX and now he loves Squeenix RPGs. He doesn't game often but he's completed KH 1 & 2, FFX, X-2 and is currently playing XII. He always thought gaming was naff until he got bullied into playing a decent game. It's unfortunate that there are few people his age who are willing to give it a try. 

I'm not like all these other women you mention in that I don't see the appeal in The Sims or Cooking Mama, but I love God of War. Kratos is awesome. Gaming isn't just a playground for young males. Lots of young women are becoming serious gamers, half of my female friends won't stop obsessing over Dante. Lol. Jin is far more beautiful than him. Anyway, I for one think that games can be art. I love the ancient Greek setting in God of War, the artstyle in this game is amazing. It also has lots of ponies in it.

It sure does have to stop. Three pages of speculation from both sides. Ridiculous, considering neither side is convincing the other.

Around the Network
DonWii said:
It sure does have to stop. Three pages of speculation from both sides. Ridiculous, considering neither side is convincing the other.

I like arguments that don't go anywhere. There're the best kind, they never end! Well, not until everyone has repeated the same points (but phrased in a slightly different way) about five or so times.

ckmlb said:
It might have been kiddie playing video games years ago when the older generations were non gamers, but now the average age of the person playing Halo is not in the low teens and it will go further and further up as gamers grow up and there are more of them in the coming generations.

To somehow tell me that violent video games are immature is pretty baseless as violence is probably the topic that has most interested man throughout the ages and engaging in simulated violence does not make it automatically less than playing a strategy game.

Ummm, as far as man's interests go, violence ranks FAR below sex during any age...

The core of my frustration comes from my inability to prove or disprove the validity of great art. I feel, with some degree of certainty, that no serious artistic expert would give much credence to the artistic value of a game like Gears of War on any level but a purely visual one: and even there, it's very young and it's very male. It's really very similar to Pokemon. Can you PROVE that Pokemon isn't great art? No, you can't, even if a large portion of us can agree that it isn't. 

I feel the same about God of War, and I'm patently aware of the complete inability to PROVE it. It's very frustrating to me. All I can give is tangential evidence, and I've given every ounce of it I can muster. 

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Bodhesatva said:

Can you PROVE that Pokemon isn't great art? No, you can't, even if a large portion of us can agree that it isn't.

I feel the same about God of War, and I'm patently aware of the complete inability to PROVE it. It's very frustrating to me. All I can give is tangential evidence, and I've given every ounce of it I can muster.

Some pokemon look really nice, like Milotic:

Although I don't consider pokemon to be great art, it is still art.

Most pokeman have really crap designs anyway.

I quite like the art in God of War, but then I've always had an interest in mythology. I think the creatures look cool and I also like the architecture in the game.  

ckmlb said:
Gballzack said:
Bashing of casual gamers gives an outlet to the frustration of those not satisfied with the progress of this gaming generation, in other words, those who can't fathom why their narrow perspective of how gaming should be isn't taking off. Attacking casual gamers gives them an scapegoat, something they can label as an "outside" influence so they can convince themselves that gaming didn't abandon them it was just invaded by outsiders. It's all part of maintaining the delussion that they are, and will always be, right no matter how console gaming plays out or falls out of their favor.

It's not an outlet for any frustration, I always criticize what I don't like and I think these games are crappy. Suddenly you're all about casual games? Why? Causr Nintendo decided to make 'em now they're good? You told me yourself you aren't too sure about the casual direction of games in Nintendo.

Also: sales don't determine quality. (See Spiderman 3)

Actually, yes it is still an outlet of frustration, the fact you even acknowledge it as bashing by responding to it as such shows this to be true. And even if frustration is not the case for you there is no arguing the incessant redundacy of such attacks on the Wii and/or Casual gamers under the premise of them erroding gaming.

Just because I have my own reservations about the future of lifestyle gaming does not mean I can't see the true nature of why many attack casual gaming. Don't tell me you're naive enough to think that having reservations and outright attacking something are one in the same or exclude one from taking notice of the other. Casual Gaming was never a matter worth mentioning by the self proclaimed "Hardcore" gamers when it was in thier favor as with the PS1 and PS2 sales, but now that its against what they want gaming to be they attack it, so don't cry Nintendo Bias on me or anyone else. The door swings both ways. The fact that you even point out my own reservations should only further illustrate the hypocrisy of your attempt to portray me as someone who praises them, which I fail to see myself doing anywhere in this forum.

Sales don't determine quality, true, but nothing else objectively does either. Quality is a subjective measure in this context, its ultimately a matter of personal perspective and philosophy. It's also a measure almost exclusively introduced into these debates by Sony fans, not Nintendo fans. Sales determine what the consumer wants. Sales determine what console succeeds. And in this race, that's all that matters and that's why Sony fans are upset. If Quality was the only issue here then I'm sure that many Sony fans would be content to just ignore the Wii and its games. But Quality isn't the issue, its just an excuse after the fact to justify one person's opinion over another's.

In the end, sales are what matter whether we like it or not. Sales are what decide the winner. Logically, if your console can't have the sales, you're naturally going to try and brag up the next most important aspect that you've convinced yourself your console excels in. And the weapons of choice for Sony Fans everywhere are the illusive ideologies of "Quality" and "Hardcore Gaming", both self proclaimed, both subjective ideals, both excuses after the fact.