By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - This trend of spitting on casual gamers...

ckmlb said:
Bodhesatva said:
ckmlb said:
Bodhesatva said:
ckmlb said:
Bodhesatva said:
ckmlb said:

Brain Age has SPECIFICALLY been found to increase neurological function. Directly and explicitly. In this case, the adult value is in it's intellectual activity, not in it's purely aesthetic quality.

"Research has shown that reading out loud and performing calculations quickly are effective for training your brain."

Ico, Shadow of the Colossus, and Okami are very good, and you know I liked Shadow of the Colossus a great deal. But their "art" is largely just visual, unlike "The Sims" or "Civilization," whose maturity is in the gameplay directly. And please note that these are three games in a library of 1,500 Playstation 2 games. It's dismally low.

And again, my main concern is for something to be intellectually stimulating, the way Picasso's Guernica, or Robespierre's The Spirit of the Laws are. I do agree that aesthetics matter -- it's just not my main goal here.

In the case of Okami I can see how you say the art is largely visual. But in case of Ico and Shadow of the Colossus if you think it's mainly visual then you definitely missed the point of both games and need to go back and play them and get into them more closely because there is so much in such simplicity. Ico has to be the most beautiful story I have encountered in a game, so simple and so compelling that I can only describe it as beautiful.

That's the kind of game that I think even people who hate traditional games in general would admit is art.

As always, I agree Shadow of the Colossus is a great deal closer than most games out there, but in terms of plot it's still very far away, in my opinion. I haven't played Ico, so I cannot comment.

In general, we both agree that these small handful of games are the best examples of games-as-art available on Playstation/Xbox/Gamecube, so let's just agree to small differences here.

The biggest problem is that Okami did terribly, Ico did very poorly and Shadow of the Colosuss had mediocre sales. This, more than anything else, should show you that there is a problem in Playstation land -- the games you most identify as "art" are either bombing, or coming close to it.

I certainly wouldn't suggest that Wii Sports is art; I'd definitely say it's more adult than Gears of War, but still not art. My belief is, however, that these more casual games that appeal to adults are the bridge to get there. If Gears of War, God of War, et. al remain the most important games this generation, then adults will continue to simply stay away, and the few games that ARE best suited for adults -- such as Ico -- will continue to do terribly.

We aren't going to jump straight from "Video games are an 18 year old male fantasy land" to "Video games are high art." The first thing we have to do is get adults playing in the first place, and Wii Sports is able to do that.

I really don't think you can gauge the 'adultness' or maturity of Wii Sports as it is for all people of all ages. There's no way of comparing that to Gears which is definitely not geared towards youngest audiences.

The adults will no stay away because the generations of adults that approach games as merely games is withering away and the people who had games touch them in their life are becoming the new adults.

Also I don't want video games to jump to high art I want some games that are art, other game I know will only have some art to them while others will just be games.

Also these Brain games and others that you say are the way to get 'adults' into games is a flawed outlook because they further the idea in adults that games only serve a purpose of entertainment and maybe a brain teaser at best. That's not the way to go.

Okay, I'm willingto listen here. How would you capture their attention? Because clearly, the Playstation approach was failing miserably. 

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Around the Network
Bodhesatva said:

More about brain age:

Memory Tests were conducted on a wide range of people, from elementary school children to full grown adults. Data showed that people who did simple calculations and read aloud did two to three times better in tests of memory ability. Also, patients with cognitive impairment that performed simple calculations and read aloud two to five times a week were able to prevent the worsening of their condition and improve the conditioning of the prefontal cortices more than those who had not done such exercises.

Again, you can insist that it's not "art," but the essential component of art I'm most concerned with is intellect or emotional sophistication, and Brain Age is clearly and directly more intellectually provocative.

Then we definitely disagree because I see art for its emotional content not its intellectual (in the sense of simply making you think). A book about the genocide in Darfur can make me think so can a crossword puzzle but they are both not art. 

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

Bodhesatva said:

Okay, I'm willingto listen here. How would you capture their attention? Because clearly, the Playstation approach was failing miserably.

I don't think there is really a necessary need to capture their attention. I don't get why you are aiming for that. Aiming for more artistic games is a good aim, but aiming for more older people to play them, how is that going to improve games? I guess more games will sell (see Wii,DS).

Also it is really hard to convince people who are not accustomed to thinking of something in a certain way to accept it other than the way they have seen it their whole life.

As in many of the older people who were either before the time of video game prominence or have stayed away from them see them as just games. While there is an argument as to violent games making these people think tgames are mindless bloodfests, there is certainly an argument to make that Brain Age style games are further enhancing the idea of games just being these insignificant toy-like products because they are not trying to push story or depth or purpose either.

I bet you the people who saw the first movies also would have never ever considered them art, merely a passtime (Entertainment) and they wouldn't accept that there could be as much depth in a movie as a painting (I'm sure there are people who still think that way). In time, with the generations of old passing away and the newer generations emergin, the definition of art will grow spread once more and people will start looking at games as a possbile medium for art. Just as it happened to movies decades after they came into being so it will happen with games.

The important thing is that until then and by that time games are trying to push further than just being a passtime and Brain Age and Wii Sports are definitely not going in that direction.

Edit: I also think animated films were always previously considered kid's material or simple entertainment, until enough time passed that people can relate to animated characters and people started making artistic animated films. 

Ckmlb said: I don't think there is really a necessary need to capture their attention. I don't get why you are aiming for that. Aiming for more artistic games is a good aim, but aiming for more older people to play them, how is that going to improve games? I guess more games will sell (see Wii,DS).

Okay, totally disagree with this. The big problem with this is that young males don't care about high art. This has been shown in pretty much every way possible: they (generally -- always generally) don't care about modern literature, they don't care about canonized literature. They don't care about art house flicks, or sculpture, or modern painting, or classical painting. They don't care about operah or symphonics or even (again, generally speaking) Jazz. Not only that, it's been shown in games too -- the specific games you mention as bordering on art have had mediocre sales, terrible sales, or downright awful ones.

So unless adults are playing, there's really very little chance art will flourish in the video game industry.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

cklmb: Would you go to a 45 year old lady and tell her she´s not a real reader because she reads shakespeare while you like to read Lord of the Rings?

Describing videogames as art is still far away. We are not nearly at a point where we can consider them art. Art means not visuals, art means opening peoples eyes. It means philosophy, (dis-)harmony and thoughts.

Ico might be a pretty game but it´s clearly no art. There are no really deepfull thoughts in it.

The problem we gamers have, is we often don´t even know what art is. We think if there is a game with pretty visuals it is art. That´s plainfull wrong. Art is more than just what you see, because what you see is not always what you get.

Listen: there is a game with awesome visuals and great gameplay, and you say this is a real game.

Then there is a game which helps to cure Alzheimer´s disease. There is this picture of a little boy nearly unable to move, but he is playing Wii Sports and he´s having fun.

And I ask you: Which is the real game?

Edit: Have to make a thread about this... videogames could be so much more than they currently are. And some of us want to stop it. And WE call the others conservative...

Around the Network

Games-as-art would be a different thread really. I'm not sure it really is what's behind the whole 'hatred for the casual consumer' battle. It could be part of it, but I doubt core gamers are feeling threatened because games might become more like art...

Bodhesatva said:

Ckmlb said: I don't think there is really a necessary need to capture their attention. I don't get why you are aiming for that. Aiming for more artistic games is a good aim, but aiming for more older people to play them, how is that going to improve games? I guess more games will sell (see Wii,DS).

Okay, totally disagree with this. The big problem with this is that young males don't care about high art. This has been shown in pretty much every way possible: they (generally -- always generally) don't care about modern literature, they don't care about canonized literature. They don't care about art house flicks, or sculpture, or modern painting, or classical painting. They don't care about operah or symphonics or even (again, generally speaking) Jazz. Not only that, it's been shown in games too -- the specific games you mention as bordering on art have had mediocre sales, terrible sales, or downright awful ones.

So unless adults are playing, there's really very little chance art will flourish in the video game industry.

You are overgeneralizing, all my friends were interested in literature in art since high school. Also I think both adults and young people in general are anti-art.

I would say I want more adults to play games to improve the quality but not if adults want more non-artistic passtime games which they seem to do. Most adults are looking in movies, books and all other media instead of gaming for art. 

Louie said:
cklmb: Would you go to a 45 year old lady and tell her she´s not a real reader because she reads shakespeare while you like to read Lord of the Rings?

Describing videogames as art is still far away. We are not nearly at a point where we can consider them art. Art means not visuals, art means opening peoples eyes. It means philosophy, (dis-)harmony and thoughts.

Ico might be a pretty game but it´s clearly no art. There are no really deepfull thoughts in it.

The problem we gamers have, is we often don´t even know what art is. We think if there is a game with pretty visuals it is art. That´s plainfull wrong. Art is more than just what you see, because what you see is not always what you get.

Listen: there is a game with awesome visuals and great gameplay, and you say this is a real game.

Then there is a game which helps to cure Alzheimer´s disease. There is this picture of a little boy nearly unable to move, but he is playing Wii Sports and he´s having fun.

Edit: Have to make a thread about this... videogames could be so much more than they currently are. And some of us want to stop it. And WE call the others conservative...

Have you played Ico? It's not for the pretty looks that I think it's art. 

Also: did I say Wii Sports is not a game? and what does it have to do with the little boy enjoying it or not. It's a matter of definitions.

Anyway Nice debate and I'm off. Stop considering Brain Age art and stop telling me Nintendo is actually taking us closer to art in games. 

ckmlb said:
Bodhesatva said:

You are overgeneralizing, all my friends were interested in literature in art since high school. Also I think both adults and young people in general are anti-art.

I would say I want more adults to play games to improve the quality but not if adults want more non-artistic passtime games which they seem to do. Most adults are looking in movies, books and all other media instead of gaming for art.

Okay. If we can't agree that Shakespeare, Dostoevsky, Fitzgerald and all their friends tend to be the domain of 

1) The well educated

2) The adult

or if you want to argue that teenagers absolutely love "Don Quixote" in the same way they watch reality shows by the millions every week, then I don't think we can continue. 

I'll just leave it at this: you claim adults only want insipid games. I say we don't know what adults want yet; they're just entering the market. Thanks to Nintendo. If we are ever going to see games as high art, we need to get the demographics that generally enjoy high art to start paying attention to our medium in the first place. 

ckmlb said:
Louie said:

Have you played Ico? It's not for the pretty looks that I think it's art.

Also: did I say Wii Sports is not a game? and what does it have to do with the little boy enjoying it or not. It's a matter of definitions.

Anyway Nice debate and I'm off. Stop considering Brain Age art and stop telling me Nintendo is actually taking us closer to art in games.

How about you stop telling me otherwise? Because the Playstation audience did a god awful job of supporting the games you apparently think are "art." There's no better evidence than that.