By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - This trend of spitting on casual gamers...

ckmlb said:
Louie said:
cklmb: Would you go to a 45 year old lady and tell her she´s not a real reader because she reads shakespeare while you like to read Lord of the Rings?

Describing videogames as art is still far away. We are not nearly at a point where we can consider them art. Art means not visuals, art means opening peoples eyes. It means philosophy, (dis-)harmony and thoughts.

Ico might be a pretty game but it´s clearly no art. There are no really deepfull thoughts in it.

The problem we gamers have, is we often don´t even know what art is. We think if there is a game with pretty visuals it is art. That´s plainfull wrong. Art is more than just what you see, because what you see is not always what you get.

Listen: there is a game with awesome visuals and great gameplay, and you say this is a real game.

Then there is a game which helps to cure Alzheimer´s disease. There is this picture of a little boy nearly unable to move, but he is playing Wii Sports and he´s having fun.

And I ask you: Which is the real game?

Edit: Have to make a thread about this... videogames could be so much more than they currently are. And some of us want to stop it. And WE call the others conservative...

Have you played Ico? It's not for the pretty looks that I think it's art. 

Also: did I say Wii Sports is not a game? and what does it have to do with the little boy enjoying it or not. It's a matter of definitions.

Anyway Nice debate and I'm off. Stop considering Brain Age art and stop telling me Nintendo is actually taking us closer to art in games. 

Yes I played it. And I liked it, but I wouldn´t consider it beeing art.

And you missunderstood my point: Of course, Brain Training is not art. It´s a brain training game nothing else. But a Brain Training game is more than just a normal game.

My question was: Should we say those games are non-games and threat them as they were unneccesary if they help more than those other games we like to play?

I think no. Those games are important. In another way we were used to in the past, but they are important. To some people surely more important than the traditional games. This boy for example.

Around the Network
Bodhesatva said:
ckmlb said:

How about you stop telling me otherwise? Because the Playstation audience did a god awful job of supporting the games you apparently think are "art." There's no better evidence than that.

Like I said most people of all ages are not interested in art. Also Brain Age is not art there is no way you can make a good argument that it's art. Crossword puzzles, Rubik's Cubes, chess boards are all not art. Just because you 'think' when you play them doesn't mean they're art.

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

@ckmlb

The biggest flaw I see in your argument is that you expect everybody to operate off of your definition of hardcore.

If you can convince me that Gears of War is hardcore and Wii Sports isn't then I'll start taking your points seriously but until then your argument boils down to what I like is good and what I don't is bad.

Hus said:

Grow up and stop trolling.

WOW you two are really still going at it. I went and bought Brothers in arms ds while you were discussing :D

gorgepir said:
WOW you two are really still going at it. I went and bought Brothers in arms ds while you were discussing :D

That game got bad reviews. It looks good for a DS game (Graphically).

Around the Network

Bashing of casual gamers gives an outlet to the frustration of those not satisfied with the progress of this gaming generation, in other words, those who can't fathom why their narrow perspective of how gaming should be isn't taking off. Attacking casual gamers gives them an scapegoat, something they can label as an "outside" influence so they can convince themselves that gaming didn't abandon them it was just invaded by outsiders. It's all part of maintaining the delussion that they are, and will always be, right no matter how console gaming plays out or falls out of their favor.

What about the trend of spitting on the hardcore gamers, which this forum seems to be all about?

zaphodile said:
What about the trend of spitting on the hardcore gamers, which this forum seems to be all about?

A single thread doesn't constitute a trend, if anything it's more indactive of a response to a trend. No one bashes Hardcore gamers unless someone claiming to be one first attacks something or someone else. In all honesty the term "Hardcore Gamer" has no tangible meaning or definition outside of the individual who claims to be one so to say anyone goes out of their way to bash Hardcore Gamers is somewhat foolhearty since it's purely an identity only a select few have fashioned for themselves to benefit their precieved stance on gaming.

Gballzack said:
Bashing of casual gamers gives an outlet to the frustration of those not satisfied with the progress of this gaming generation, in other words, those who can't fathom why their narrow perspective of how gaming should be isn't taking off. Attacking casual gamers gives them an scapegoat, something they can label as an "outside" influence so they can convince themselves that gaming didn't abandon them it was just invaded by outsiders. It's all part of maintaining the delussion that they are, and will always be, right no matter how console gaming plays out or falls out of their favor.

It's not an outlet for any frustration, I always criticize what I don't like and I think these games are crappy. Suddenly you're all about casual games? Why? Causr Nintendo decided to make 'em now they're good? You told me yourself you aren't too sure about the casual direction of games in Nintendo.

Also: sales don't determine quality. (See Spiderman 3)