By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony rep states MGS4 will be out this year

DonWii said:
ckmlb said:
twesterm said:
I'm fairly sure it will come out in 2007, there's no reason not to think that, but MGS4 isn't going to significantly boost PS3 sales. It will provide a small boost the week it releases because there are people that are waiting for this game, but those are going to shadowed by Christmas sales anyways so you won't see much. It's a pretty niche game and outside of gaming forums like these (and the people in these forums are not a large group), not a lot of people are in love with the series or have any of the games anywhere near their radar.

Niche game?

Sales according to VG Chartz:

Metal Gear Solid- 5.59 million

Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty- 5.56 million

Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater- 3.96 million

It seems a lot of people are in love with the game. I think it's the very opposite of niche.

I see the numbers continue to go down. And, with the higher price tag of the PS3, I expect MGS4 to sell less than Snake Eater, but I do expect it to boost sales of the PS3. Also, as I have stated before, I do believe it will be a timed exclusive.

You can't go by that. Just look at the FF main series. First game each gen sells most then the second and third sell less.

I think because MGS 4 is a big step up it will sell good. I expect a lot of people to buy the game later when they have a PS3 at cheaper unless they are getting a PS3 specifically for this game (Which some people keep saying they are). 

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

Around the Network
Bodhesatva said:
twesterm said:
GhaleonUnlimited said:
Bunk. Konami + Kojima = a little more credible than Sony PR reps when it comes to when Konami games are releasing. It was already reported MGS4 isn't in this year's fiscal plans.

Except for when they reported it in their own trailer.

The trailer from June 2006? That's a little old don't you think? What about their press release in April of this year saying it will be out in early 2008?

I can see it going either way. I'm sure they're under tremendous pressure to release the game by Christmas of this year.

There was an updated version of the trailer like last month. And it still ahd the 2007 date at the end with the little joke. They could have removed it if they so wanted, but they didn't.

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

ckmlb said:
DonWii said:
ckmlb said:
twesterm said:
I'm fairly sure it will come out in 2007, there's no reason not to think that, but MGS4 isn't going to significantly boost PS3 sales. It will provide a small boost the week it releases because there are people that are waiting for this game, but those are going to shadowed by Christmas sales anyways so you won't see much. It's a pretty niche game and outside of gaming forums like these (and the people in these forums are not a large group), not a lot of people are in love with the series or have any of the games anywhere near their radar.

Niche game?

Sales according to VG Chartz:

Metal Gear Solid- 5.59 million

Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty- 5.56 million

Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater- 3.96 million

It seems a lot of people are in love with the game. I think it's the very opposite of niche.

I see the numbers continue to go down. And, with the higher price tag of the PS3, I expect MGS4 to sell less than Snake Eater, but I do expect it to boost sales of the PS3. Also, as I have stated before, I do believe it will be a timed exclusive.

You can't go by that. Just look at the FF main series. First game each gen sells most then the second and third sell less.

I think because MGS 4 is a big step up it will sell good. I expect a lot of people to buy the game later when they have a PS3 at cheaper unless they are getting a PS3 specifically for this game (Which some people keep saying they are).

But there are series that do the opposite: Grand Theft Auto and Halo, among others. 

Metal Gear Solid is a middle-level system seller, approximately equivalent to Kingdom Hearts in importance. Not as important as Gran Turismo/GTA/Halo/Mario, but more important than God of War / Metroid Prime. 

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

I think they are just trying to build hype for the PS3. I doubt it will make it out this year, though it would be interesting to see how it would effect sales in the holiday season.

Konami didn't delay the game. They in fact confirmed that the game was slated for this fiscal year, but once again, game journos proved themselves to be incompentant buffoons, who reported the non-delay as if it meant the game could/would slip to as late as March 2008, the end of Konami's fiscal year.

In all liklihood, they want a Christmas 2007 release. What was the last time a sequel this big shipped in the Jan-March quarter?

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/790/790721p1.html

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.

Around the Network
BenKenobi88 said:
Yeah...I'm expecting it to come out by Christmas...nothing new here...still cool though. If it didn't come out 2007, I'd call the PS3 dead, cause I wouldn't give a crap anymore.

I meant, the only thing that would get me to buy a PS3 would be MGS4...

But if it's just gonna come out later next year...I might just buy a 360 by then, and then I probably wouldn't have to wait that long for MGS4 to come to 360.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Wait till E3 for all these announcements

add me

It is because it is close to E3 that everyone is speculating.

I think we all know by now that sony reps are fools that have no clue wtf they are talking about most of the time.

If Phil h says it, then hell yahh.

Konami didn't delay the game. They in fact confirmed that the game was slated for this fiscal year, but once again, game journos proved themselves to be incompentant buffoons, who reported the non-delay as if it meant the game could/would slip to as late as March 2008, the end of Konami's fiscal year.

Exactly. Thank you. The news from Konami that the game would ship in the 2007 FY was a confirmation, not a new announcement. It meant that the game would be out anywhere between now and Mar 2008 at the latest, which was twisted into "delayed to March" by media outlets desperate for a story (and as I see in this thread, twisted even further by some into "confirmed not to ship this fiscal year"). As far as I can tell, they've never slipped from their plan to get it out this Christmas.

And whether the rest of the world thinks it's a system seller or not, it's hard to imagine me not grabbing a PS3 once that happens.