By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony rep states MGS4 will be out this year

i dont belive...

Around the Network

I'm fairly sure it will come out in 2007, there's no reason not to think that, but MGS4 isn't going to significantly boost PS3 sales. It will provide a small boost the week it releases because there are people that are waiting for this game, but those are going to shadowed by Christmas sales anyways so you won't see much. It's a pretty niche game and outside of gaming forums like these (and the people in these forums are not a large group), not a lot of people are in love with the series or have any of the games anywhere near their radar.

twesterm said:
I'm fairly sure it will come out in 2007, there's no reason not to think that, but MGS4 isn't going to significantly boost PS3 sales. It will provide a small boost the week it releases because there are people that are waiting for this game, but those are going to shadowed by Christmas sales anyways so you won't see much. It's a pretty niche game and outside of gaming forums like these (and the people in these forums are not a large group), not a lot of people are in love with the series or have any of the games anywhere near their radar.

Niche game?

Sales according to VG Chartz:

Metal Gear Solid- 5.59 million

Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty- 5.56 million

Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater- 3.96 million

It seems a lot of people are in love with the game. I think it's the very opposite of niche.

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

Darc Requiem said:
Yeah I've heard of the new Ratchet and Clank game but I have yet to hear anything about a PS3 Jak and Daxter. As for Ben's comments, I won't presume to speak for him but if MGS4 slips beyond this year in the U.S. and Sony's chances at coming back here would go from bleak to damn near nil.

There is a Jak and Daxter game called The Lost Frontier check the ign page for upcoming PS3 games it's on there for 2008.

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

ckmlb said:
twesterm said:

Niche game?

Hmm, have never looked at numbers so I could be completely wrong, but outside of people that visit gaming forums, I've never met anyone that has liked the games and the niche thing is something else told me.  It's pretty and all (do like the dirty art style in it) but it just isn't the type of game that appeals to masses.  Once again, could be completely wrong (especially looking at the numbers >_>), that's just how I've always heard it.

Still stand by the fact though that Christmas sales are going to hide sale boosts from the game.  Either way, good news for Sony. 

Around the Network
ckmlb said:
twesterm said:

Niche game?

It seems a lot of people are in love with the game. I think it's the very opposite of niche.

I see the numbers continue to go down. And, with the higher price tag of the PS3, I expect MGS4 to sell less than Snake Eater, but I do expect it to boost sales of the PS3. Also, as I have stated before, I do believe it will be a timed exclusive.

Bunk. Konami + Kojima = a little more credible than Sony PR reps when it comes to when Konami games are releasing. It was already reported MGS4 isn't in this year's fiscal plans.

GhaleonUnlimited said:
Bunk. Konami + Kojima = a little more credible than Sony PR reps when it comes to when Konami games are releasing. It was already reported MGS4 isn't in this year's fiscal plans.

Except for when they reported it in their own trailer.

twesterm said:
GhaleonUnlimited said:

Except for when they reported it in their own trailer.

The trailer from June 2006? That's a little old don't you think? What about their press release in April of this year saying it will be out in early 2008?

I can see it going either way. I'm sure they're under tremendous pressure to release the game by Christmas of this year.  

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

MGS4 will only be a timed exclusive if the sales are disappointing, at least that's what I think. I doubt the numbers will continue to go down for MGS... if Kojima holds this game in for at least another year and Sony builds a solid foothold on this generation with average titles throughout 2008, then I expect this game to sell at least of MGS3 levels.