By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Do Nintendo really never make new games?

Animal Crossing also started as a N64 title (right?), so its a bit older than just 4 years.

A lot of these titles have roots in games that are 10 years old (or more). But I guess they still count as new franchises.

Some extra titles to add:
- Donkey Konga
- Luigis Mansion
- Mario Soccer(?)
- Warioware(?) - started on GBA, or GB?

Throw in new Wii upcoming titles (Health, music, etc.............) and that's a very significant list.

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Around the Network

If they make a Mario fps, will that count for new ?

Blue3 said:

Nope! All Mario-themed games are out, as you can see :p

Please make a list of Sony new IPs, Blue3. I'd be interested, because I know they have a lot too. They've done a great job of diversifying.  

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Blue3 said:

I think for the purposes of this thread, no. That's not to say that a game like Mario Strikers Charged is any less of a game or any easier to make because it features Mario & Co instead of fresh off the press charachters. It's not like they took Mario Sunshine's engine and threw in a football!

Maybe there would be a few less artists required for the development but Strikers & other Mario titles, ie. Golf/Tennis/Kart etc. are all great games and deserve more respect than 'lol,another mario clone!?!' type comments.

Are the detractors really saying that they would only play these games if they feautured non-established characters? If so I think that's pretty sad.

Hus said:

Grow up and stop trolling.

shams said:
Animal Crossing also started as a N64 title (right?), so its a bit older than just 4 years.

A lot of these titles have roots in games that are 10 years old (or more). But I guess they still count as new franchises.

Some extra titles to add:
- Donkey Konga
- Luigis Mansion
- Mario Soccer(?)
- Warioware(?) - started on GBA, or GB?

Throw in new Wii upcoming titles (Health, music, etc.............) and that's a very significant list.

Animal crossing was originally on Gamecube and released in Dec 2001.

And only new IPs count, so Donkey Konga, Luigis Mansion, Mario Soccer don't count. Warioware is pretty grey but I think it should count, since Wario plays a relatively minor role in that game and very small in anything else 

Blue3 said:

How's that reading comprehension class going? I clearly stated only new IPs count, not new games with known characters, so no, Mario FPS does not count.

Help! I'm stuck in a forum signature!

Around the Network
Biggerboat said:
Blue3 said:

I think for the purposes of this thread, no. That's not to say that a game like Mario Strikers Charged is any less of a game or any easier to make because it features Mario & Co instead of fresh off the press charachters. It's not like they took Mario Sunshine's engine and threw in a football!

Maybe there would be a few less artists required for the development but Strikers & other Mario titles, ie. Golf/Tennis/Kart etc. are all great games and deserve more respect than 'lol,another mario clone!?!' type comments.

Are the detractors really saying that they would only play these games if they feautured non-established characters? If so I think that's pretty sad.

welcome to the boards!

I think most people seem to say that all Nintendo make are Mario games, despite the fact that they're all different, just to say that Nintendo aren't innovative. (although, how different would Mario Strikers have been if it was, say, a Basketball game? Or a Hockey game? I vote, not much at all.)

My point is that even if you ignore the differences in those games, Nintendo has created more new franchises than any other publisher or developer

Bodhesatva said:
Blue3 said:

Nope! All Mario-themed games are out, as you can see :p

Please make a list of Sony new IPs, Blue3. I'd be interested, because I know they have a lot too. They've done a great job of diversifying.

Little Big Planet
Motorstorm
Resistance
Uncharted
Afrika
EightDays
Folklore
The Eye Of Judgment
White Night Story
Hot Shots Tennis
Calling all cars

omgwtfbbq said:
Biggerboat said:
Blue3 said:

Are the detractors really saying that they would only play these games if they feautured non-established characters? If so I think that's pretty sad.

welcome to the boards!

I think most people seem to say that all Nintendo make are Mario games, despite the fact that they're all different, just to say that Nintendo aren't innovative. (although, how different would Mario Strikers have been if it was, say, a Basketball game? Or a Hockey game? I vote, not much at all.)

My point is that even if you ignore the differences in those games, Nintendo has created more new franchises than any other publisher or developer

Thanks

I agree the premise of a basketball, hockey or any other firing a projectile at a small goal sport would work well with Strikers engine, and I think that if N did indeed release those games in that fashion people might actually have a point when criticing them but until then I think poeple should play the games before passsing judgement. Also I'm from the UK so am happy they went with football(soccer to you yanks) as Hockey and Basketball aren't big here.

@ Blue3

Surely you can think of more than that, I'm no Sony fan but I think you're missing stuff like Singstar, SotC, GoW, amonst many others. Aren't we going all the way back to the beginning of last gen?

Hus said:

Grow up and stop trolling.

Baten Kaitos, hellow!!

This profile is no longer in use, see my other profile *~Onna76~*

Biggerboat said:
omgwtfbbq said:
Biggerboat said:
Blue3 said:

welcome to the boards!

Thanks

I agree the premise of a basketball, hockey or any other firing a projectile at a small goal sport would work well with Strikers engine, and I think that if N did indeed release those games in that fashion people might actually have a point when criticing them but until then I think poeple should play the games before passsing judgement. Also I'm from the UK so am happy they went with football(soccer to you yanks) as Hockey and Basketball aren't big here.

@ Blue3

Surely you can think of more than that, I'm no Sony fan but I think you're missing stuff like Singstar, SotC, GoW, amonst many others. Aren't we going all the way back to the beginning of last gen?

who you calling a yank?

Although we do call it soccer here in Australia, at least our "football" uses the feet.