By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Do Nintendo really never make new games?

diegomoroco777 said:
And I´m pretty sure well get games with Miis, I think a Mii RPG and a Mii Shooter. Anyone would love to have Borat in his party or to kill Michael Jackson :)

I've thought about it, an RPG with all the information there but it randomly selects Mii's from your console as villans and uses their name.  Allows you to pick your Mii as the main character etc and randomly generates Mii's or selects them from your Mii parade to use as NPC's and villagers...

For something like this we'd probably need to see more customization in the Mii's or randomly generated accessories in the game.. Still I'd buy it.. 

Around the Network
ookaze said:
All these threads bashing Nintendo are train wrecks from the very title they get.
They all come down to the same thing: http://thewiikly.zogdog.com/article.php?article=75&ed=8

Man, it's scary how "these people" are predictable, and proven wrong time and time again.
Blue Ocean predicted their behavior too. Scary sheep mentality!
Seeing the best game developer in the world actually succeed seems to be impossible to believe to some people.

I would agree with you, but this thread is more about how the thread author thinks nintendo's list will be *larger* than the lists of the others, and is asking for help in determining if that is true.  I think it's a valid question, and so far the concensus is that nintendo's list is large, but no complete list for the others' IPs has been made yet.

So in conclusion, no, I do not think it was a train wreck from the very title.

Please, PLEASE do NOT feed the trolls.
fksumot tag: "Sheik had to become a man to be useful. Or less useful. Might depend if you're bi."

--Predictions--
1) WiiFit will outsell the pokemans.
  Current Status: 2009.01.10 70k till PKMN Yellow (Passed: Emerald, Crystal, FR/LG)

Some remarks

Fire Emblem is OLD ,tracking back to the Nes days .

Two ,Nintendogs is a copy of Pet in Tv of the Playstation 1 .

Three ,Wario Ware is a copy of Bishi Bashi in Playstation 1 .

Four ,Advance Wars and Batallion wars are nearly the same game in portables and home consoles .

Five ,Big Brain Academy and Brain Training are as different as Jak and Daxter 1 and 3 respectively .Not two different IP at least in my book .

Six ,Cooking Mama isnt from Nintendo but from Majesco .

Seven ,Eternal Darkness is from Silicon Knights .

I am not saying Nintendo hasnt created any new IP (it has ,as Pikmin or the new Metroid ) but lets not exxagerate we cant count each Brain Training game as a different IP .In fact most of these minigames and Training games were played way before ,in the newspapers quizs ,electronic sudokus etc ....Nintendo has just turned that a videogame and received the benefits of all those casual gamers .

Well they still get some credit for bringing it to video games first, since they're the ones reaping the benefits from it.

I think GoW and R&C were two big Sony ones last-gen. J&D too maybe though not sure when that started. Plus the casual stuff.

Diomedes1976 said:
Some remarks

Fire Emblem is OLD ,tracking back to the Nes days .

Two ,Nintendogs is a copy of Pet in Tv of the Playstation 1 .

Three ,Wario Ware is a copy of Bishi Bashi in Playstation 1 .

Four ,Advance Wars and Batallion wars are nearly the same game in portables and home consoles .

Five ,Big Brain Academy and Brain Training are as different as Jak and Daxter 1 and 3 respectively .Not two different IP at least in my book .

Six ,Cooking Mama isnt from Nintendo but from Majesco .

Seven ,Eternal Darkness is from Silicon Knights .

I am not saying Nintendo hasnt created any new IP (it has ,as Pikmin or the new Metroid ) but lets not exxagerate we cant count each Brain Training game as a different IP .In fact most of these minigames and Training games were played way before ,in the newspapers quizs ,electronic sudokus etc ....Nintendo has just turned that a videogame and received the benefits of all those casual gamers .

2 and 3. The IDEA of virtual pets was started long before the PSone. The only thing similar about the PSone game to the DS game is there was a pet in it. The only thing similar about Bishi Bashi is they both have minigames... OMG RESISTANCE ISN'T NEW! IT HAS GUNS!

4) They aren't even the same genre.

5) They are both puzzle game collections, there are hundreds of those, so I'd say they aren't really completely new other than their unique touch screen and mic functionality.

7) Published by Nintendo, we said we would include second party games as well.

Non casual recent Nintendo games in development:
Disaster: Day of Crisis,
Forever Blue,
Project Hammer (if it's not canceled),
Trauma Center,
Advance Wars,
Animal Crossing (appeals to both casual and hardcore),
ASH: Archaic Sealed Heat,
Chibi-Robo
Chousouju Mecha MG (don't ask)
Cutom Robo (made in 1999, hit US in 2004)
Densetsu no Stafy (japan only)
Electroplankton
Elite Beat Agents
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles (Published by Nintendo: Therfore it's second party and all rights are owned)
Hotel Dusk
Jet Impulse
Jump Stars (Super and Ultimate, these haven't been pubilshed in America but anyone with a DS should import Ultimate, it's an amazing game)
Magical Starsign
Project Hacker
Trace Memory
Wander Donkey (yes this is a real game)
Baten Kaitos (they now own all rights)
Excite Truck
Fire Emblem (to the US)
Golden Sun
Eternal Darkness (All rights owned by Nintendo, 2nd party game)
Pikmin

There are more, but you get the idea. Those are AT LEATS SECOND PARTY. So every one of those is established and owned by Nintendo, and all introduced within 7 years. There are obviously no Nintendo games for hardcore gamers /sarcasm.

Around the Network

Nintendo's current success is obviously dependant on new franchises. Who cares if they aren't new genres? That's not the question.

Here's all you need to know... the biggest franchises in the world today...

1. Nintendogs (on its way to 20 million sales on DS)
2. Pokemon (growing in popularity from last-gen; could almost catch Nintendogs)
3. Grand Theft Auto (can do nearly 15 million sales)
4. Mario (should climb towards 15 million sales on DS; 3D and Kart games can also do minimum 5-10 million)
5. Gran Turismo (has proven 10-15 million selling power, but only once per generation)
6. Brain Training (both iterations will at least push 10 million)
7. Animal Crossing (will almost certainly reach 10 million on DS)
8. Wii-brand (demoted because its only proven as a pack-in; however Wii Sports should cross 20 million and Wii Play 10 million about a year from now.)
9. Halo (8+ million on XBox)

So basically, 4 of the 8 biggest franchises in the world today were created by Nintendo since 2001; 3 of them since 2005. There are, in fact, less than 20 franchises in history which were ever able to move 10 million copies of a game--even if you count everything from PONG to Tamagotchi and franchises like Final Fantasy or Starcraft which only reached 9++ million, its still less than 20. Assuming More Brain Training and Animal Crossing DS reach that mark, Nintendo will have launched 4 such franchises in a 6 year span 2001-2006--every new franchise to reach the mark this decade.

So I'd say they've done an okay job with new franchises recently.

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.

They practically are new genres. Honestly, before the DS what game had anything even close to Nintendogs? That's why the entire argument that Nintendo doesn't do anything fresh is the biggest load of bullshit I have heard from the Gaming Industry to date.

The entire argument of Nintendo not having original content is an excuse from Microsoft and Sony to make up for all the 10 Million plus sellers that Nintendo keeps on pumping out in comparison to their consoles. GT is their only smash hit. The only reason Resistence is doing so well is because there aren't any other games for it. Microsoft has Halo... and Halo 2. Actually didn't Halo games only make it to about 8-9 million or so, never more than 10?

Nintendo has found a bottomless gold mine with the Mii's. Personally I am hoping that Taketwo comes out with a GTA using Miis. Just create a second optional disc that has basic Mii characters in it in the case that the player is too lazy to make enough original Miis, then make it so that players can customize new Mii's for every single character in the game. Just the use of the Miis alone could help keep GTA Wii from getting an AO rating. Oh and add some software that customizes the Mii outfits.

HappySqurriel said:
ckmlb said:
Turn that phrase to Nintendo is not making any new hardcore games and it's mostly true with some exceptions...

First off, saying "it's mostly true with some exceptions..." essentially means its not true ...

Nintendo continues to make new "Core" gamer IPs (Disaster: Day of Crysis), adapt existing IPs to make new "Core" gamer games (Batalion Wars), and to resurect old IPs that once represented "Core" gamer IPs (Metroid Prime).

Only 1 new IP in that list, is that your way of saying Nintendo is making new harcore games? Also mostly true stands because of this one exception. I don't think one game puts those concerns to rest.

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

More successful new IPs mean more sales for them, why should I give them credit for going for that? I would not like it if they stopped making new ones entirely.

We can't consider Nintendo as we consider any other publisher, we gotta compare them to the other two console makers. MS and Sony are rolling out new IPs (1st and 2nd party) that have either already proven great or are looking like they will be good while Nintendo has 1 new hardcore IP that people know about.

Last generation they added Pikmin and Batallion Wars which was good because it was something they didn't have. They should do more of that. More IPs in different genres.

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

Blue3 said:
Bodhesatva said:
Blue3 said:
If they make a Mario fps, will that count for new ?

Nope! All Mario-themed games are out, as you can see :p

Please make a list of Sony new IPs, Blue3. I'd be interested, because I know they have a lot too. They've done a great job of diversifying.

Little Big Planet
Motorstorm
Resistance
Uncharted
Afrika
EightDays
Folklore
The Eye Of Judgment
White Night Story
Hot Shots Tennis
Calling all cars

You left out God of War? And don't tell me that being two years old means it isn't new. Bodhest didn't ask for brand new IPs.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs