By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Do Nintendo really never make new games?

Diomedes1976 said:
Some remarks

Fire Emblem is OLD ,tracking back to the Nes days .

Two ,Nintendogs is a copy of Pet in Tv of the Playstation 1 .

Three ,Wario Ware is a copy of Bishi Bashi in Playstation 1 .

Four ,Advance Wars and Batallion wars are nearly the same game in portables and home consoles .

Five ,Big Brain Academy and Brain Training are as different as Jak and Daxter 1 and 3 respectively .Not two different IP at least in my book .

Six ,Cooking Mama isnt from Nintendo but from Majesco .

Seven ,Eternal Darkness is from Silicon Knights .

I am not saying Nintendo hasnt created any new IP (it has ,as Pikmin or the new Metroid ) but lets not exxagerate we cant count each Brain Training game as a different IP .In fact most of these minigames and Training games were played way before ,in the newspapers quizs ,electronic sudokus etc ....Nintendo has just turned that a videogame and received the benefits of all those casual gamers .

I clearly stated new IPs, not new genres. Let's look at all the genres Microsoft created:

1) ...

and how about those Sony created?

1) ...

So don't be ridiculous. The only claim we are testing here is whether Nintendo only ever relies on their old proven franchises (Mario, Zelda, Pokemon) and never releases games using new IPs. We're not talking about the styles of games since mario is in many different types (compare mario kart with super mario) but the franchises that are being created. And I believe no other company even comes close to Nintendo. 

Help! I'm stuck in a forum signature!

Around the Network

past withstanding, what new things nintendo coming out with? the controller is super old tech and in design absolutely sucks (there i said it, and im happy about it). they are bring out stuff that is absolutely just rehashes or remakes or direct sequels.

ms is doing a few things. shadow run is testing the fps waters and it seemed to have done it well, but other things were off in design. they are building a good online community and helping small devs get some stuff out there.

sony is doing a good deal more. they are experimenting in all kinds of places. home is the most innovative community feature i have ever seen. lbp is defining user creation. folklore is heading in a beautiful direction for art. motorstorm made racing fun instead of super realistic.

show me how nintendo is using their amazing ip's to do new stuff and then people might listen to you.

my pillars of gaming: kh, naughty dog, insomniac, ssb, gow, ff

i officially boycott boycotts.  crap.

soccerdrew17 said:
past withstanding, what new things nintendo coming out with? the controller is super old tech and in design absolutely sucks (there i said it, and im happy about it). they are bring out stuff that is absolutely just rehashes or remakes or direct sequels.

ms is doing a few things. shadow run is testing the fps waters and it seemed to have done it well, but other things were off in design. they are building a good online community and helping small devs get some stuff out there.

sony is doing a good deal more. they are experimenting in all kinds of places. home is the most innovative community feature i have ever seen. lbp is defining user creation. folklore is heading in a beautiful direction for art. motorstorm made racing fun instead of super realistic.

show me how nintendo is using their amazing ip's to do new stuff and then people might listen to you.

Excuse me?

You just discounted moving from static pads to motion detecting controllers (probably the biggest revolution to gaming since 3d graphics) as "super old tech" and "design absolutely sucks", while you called a standard FPS with magic and racing game "made fun instead of super realistic" new and innovative?

Have you been playing games for more than two years? Because you seriously sound like you don't know what's new or not.

It's also a bit fallacious to list the online services from MS and Sony as new innovations over Nintendo. First of all they're just building on that of the original Xbox, and secondly we don't really know what the Wii's final online service is going to be like yet.

I did say I was talking about new hardcore IPs. If you just look at IPs in general then there have been a lot.

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

ckmlb said:
I meant games I like. If you look at the games they've done that I didn't like then there have been a lot.

Fixed for ya.

Around the Network
soccerdrew17 said:

Nintendo is using their amazing ip's to make people who priorly didn't like games to like games. If that isn't doing new stuff, what is? A shooter with magic? Come on.

@Diomedes1976

And the pet on tv thing on PS1 sounds like a standard tamagotchi-wannabe, not a intuitive pet simulator like nintendogs. I think there's a difference between pushing a button to pet a dog or to REALLY pet a dog by touching it on the screen.

I don't know the bishi bashi thing, but minigames exist since games are not mini anymore.

Right, seeing as everyone is listing Nintendo games, and this is meant to be (from the way I read it) a comparison, I am going to try and list as many Sony published IPs since the birth of the PS2 (as Blue3 was being his ever-helpful self).

btw - this is from the top of my head and looking at my game shelf, so don't shout if I miss any.

Resistance
LAIR
Motorstorm
LittleBigPlanet
Home (does this count??)
Uncharted
Ratchet and Clank
Jak and Daxter
Sly Racoon
Singstar
All them shitty Eyetoy games
Killzone
God of War
Heavenly Sword
Buzz
EightDays
Flow
Super Rub a Dub

They're probably some Japanesy games that I haven't mentioned. Looking at that list a see a lot of diversity. And, IMO, the quality is very close to Nintendos as well.

Can't comment on Microsoft.

Is it my imagination or is Nintendo in a no win situation here ...

When Nintendo doesn't make a game from a series for a generation (Metroid-N64, Donkey Kong-Gamecube) people say they're ignoring their fans by not producing certain IP ...

When Ninteno makes a game for a series in every generation (Mario, Zelda) people say that Nintendo is ignoring their fans by not producing New IP ...

When Nintendo makes a game based on a New IP (Nintendogs, Brain Training, Electroplanktin) people say that Nintendo is ignoring their fans by not producing New Core Gamer IP ...

When Nintendo makes a game based on a New IP designed to appeal to the Core gamer audience (Disaster: Day of Crysis) people say Nintendo is ignoring their fans by not producing games in High Definition ...

Can we get a ban on Diomedes for saying things that are basically untrue? And given the fact he had to look up his arguments, meant that he saw that there were untrue, which means he committed intellectual fraud knowingly.

Diomedes1976 said:
Three ,Wario Ware is a copy of Bishi Bashi in Playstation 1 .

I don't see WarioWare as a copy of Bishi-Bashi. Bishi-Bashi was originally an arcade game, and was later ported to the PS1. It was made by Konami, and is not Sony IP.

Besides, if you start counting mini-games as a basis for copying ideas, we can go all the way back to the original Track and Field series, which was done by - surprise! - Konami; arguably, Bishi-Bashi is just Hyper Sports/Track and Field without the athletic setting (although you can immediately see where some of the more classic "pie-toss" events from Bishi Bashi Special play exactly the same as the Javelin event from Track and Field).