By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Latin America: Mexico, Central America, & South America Sales Thread

Here's a couple of things I found when following that link:

http://jogos.uol.com.br/ultnot/multi/2007/11/09/ult530u5573.jhtm

Sony is helping Universities and Producers on developing for PS2 and PSP, maybe in the future for the PS3 as well. That means they might produce PSP and PSP games soon after they start producing PS2 and PS2 games.

http://jogos.uol.com.br/reportagens/ultnot/2008/06/24/ult2240u129.jhtm

The taxes for games in Brazil (and yes, we make up a whole bunch of taxes and then the money disappears on politics's pockets):

II = 28%
ICMS = 25%
IPI = 50%
PIS = 1.65%
Confins = 7.6%

Total = 112.25% on taxes alone, when you add shipping and stuff like that then you can see how a game can cost 257% over its value, making the business unfeasible.

Producing in the Zona Franca de Manaus gets rid of at least 2 taxes: II and IPI, making it more feasible to sell merchandise.

That's why I laugh when I hear Europeans talk about VAT and etc, there's no place worse than Brazil when it comes to taxes. I wish we would get rid of all this bullshit taxes....

BKK2 said:

Compared to PS2 the investment costs to set up a PS3 production line would be far higher, and the number of sales would be far lower. It just wouldn't be cost effective for them to do this with PS3. I think PSP might be a possibility in the future though.

Incidentally:

The UOL also found that the DVDs for the console will be pressed in Brazil - currently, the copies are imported.The Sony DADC, which handles the replication of CDs and DVDs from Sony group, avoided up and told the story that, at least for now there is nothing concrete about it.

cheap games for Brazil too ... although still a lot more expensive than copies.

The estimated production is 450 thousand units in the first year reaching 520 thousand by the third year.

So, PS2 in production for at least three more years.

And if they can sell the system and games for the prices I mentioned earlier or cheaper in all of Latin America, it'll be for at least another 5 and selling well...

What do you mean when you say more expensive than copies? Do you mean more expensive then pirated games?

Around the Network

The taxes for games in Brazil (and yes, we make up a whole bunch of taxes and then the money disappears on politics's pockets):

II = 28%
ICMS = 25%
IPI = 50%
PIS = 1.65%
Confins = 7.6%

Total = 112.25% on taxes alone, when you add shipping and stuff like that then you can see how a game can cost 257% over its value, making the business unfeasible.

Producing in the Zona Franca de Manaus gets rid of at least 2 taxes: II and IPI, making it more feasible to sell merchandise.

I guess the taxes you mention are import taxes? What are the other taxes?

And if they can sell the system and games for the prices I mentioned earlier or cheaper in all of Latin America, it'll be for at least another 5 and selling well...

PS2 will probably still be in production by the time PS4 gets released, lol. Sony's "ten year plan" for PS3 seems short compared to it's predecessor.

What do you mean when you say more expensive than copies? Do you mean more expensive then pirated games?

Yeah, I meant pirated games. Most people will still go for those, but I guess some will buy original games if they are more reasonably priced.

cwbys21 said:
Quick question for all of you in Mexico or other Spanish speaking nations. Do all of those countries speak the same kind of Spanish? Like America and England both speak English, but we have different words for different things so it isn't the same kind of English. I'm kind of wondering because would game companies have to hire on a Mexican company to sell the game in Mexico with the right Spanish translation, and thus driving prices higher, than they would to ship the game to Spain and the hiring of a company to translate the game to the Spanish that Spain might speak.

Something graceful with " Halo"..... I was reading a forum of Spain where they complained the Mexican accent of the game and that they prefer to hear it in English.

Also happens when a Latin American sees a film like " Terminator" translated by a studio of Spain.

Sick of SackBoy threads

In Brasil the ps3 will bomb exactly because of piracy. Thgames cost $130. The ps3 sku is selling for $900, while the x360 and wii are more expensive. I think that the number of sales have everything to do with it.
But most people buy it in the US, like I did. The people that can afford one of the new consoles always know someone who is travelling to the US or are themselves going there. This is how most got their ps2 in the first place.

VASCO DA GAMA CAMPEÃO DA COPA DO BRASIL!!!

CONGRATULATIONS VASCÃO

VICE É O CARALH*

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future......NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

BKK2 said:

II = 28%
ICMS = 25%
IPI = 50%
PIS = 1.65%
Confins = 7.6%

PS2 will probably still be in production by the time PS4 gets released, lol. Sony's "ten year plan" for PS3 seems short compared to it's predecessor.

Yeah, I meant pirated games. Most people will still go for those, but I guess some will buy original games if they are more reasonably priced.

They are actual taxes. The $20000 the us pay for a fusion goes to R$90000 when comes to Brasil.

And I´m one who would get  more games if all the ps came to Brasil. I have a ps2(selling) and a ps3. But $130 for a game is not feasible.

VASCO DA GAMA CAMPEÃO DA COPA DO BRASIL!!!

CONGRATULATIONS VASCÃO

VICE É O CARALH*

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future......NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Around the Network
pika said:
cwbys21 said:
Quick question for all of you in Mexico or other Spanish speaking nations. Do all of those countries speak the same kind of Spanish? Like America and England both speak English, but we have different words for different things so it isn't the same kind of English. I'm kind of wondering because would game companies have to hire on a Mexican company to sell the game in Mexico with the right Spanish translation, and thus driving prices higher, than they would to ship the game to Spain and the hiring of a company to translate the game to the Spanish that Spain might speak.

Something graceful with " Halo"..... I was reading a forum of Spain where they complained the Mexican accent of the game and that they prefer to hear it in English.

Also happens when a Latin American sees a film like " Terminator" translated by a studio of Spain.

Mexican voice acting (halo, gears of war) is a lot better than spanish (cof cof all ubisoft games cof cof)voice acting.

But actually I prefer my games in english.

Ninman said:
pika said:
cwbys21 said:

Mexican voice acting (halo, gears of war) is a lot better than spanish (cof cof all ubisoft games cof cof)voice acting.

Me too. I hate games in Spanish, but if it has to be in Spanish, I want the voices at least to be Mexican (Monkey Island 3 has one of the best dubs ever). There's nothing worse than voice acting made by Spaniards

aavidbacon said:
BKK2 said:

II = 28%
ICMS = 25%
IPI = 50%
PIS = 1.65%
Confins = 7.6%

They are actual taxes. The $20000 the us pay for a fusion goes to R$90000 when comes to Brasil.

And I´m one who would get  more games if all the ps came to Brasil. I have a ps2(selling) and a ps3. But $130 for a game is not feasible.

I don't think you understood my question. I was asking what the different taxes are:

II = 28%
ICMS = 25%
IPI = 50%
PIS = 1.65%
Confins = 7.6%

Well this is a very nice article!!congratulations!!
So, I live in Brazil and I can see that the Big 3(Nintendo, Sony, MS) are losing a great oporunity by now.....here we have piracy...but the major fact of the impopulity is the TAXES....o my god.....my wii cost obout 700 dolar...this is a lorge o money if you think in terms of my country....I think they have to had more talks with our governants, because we have more than 190 milions of people..thatś a lot of market and we definetly love playing games..just my opinion!! thanks

zexen_lowe said:
Ninman said:
pika said:
cwbys21 said:

Me too. I hate games in Spanish, but if it has to be in Spanish, I want the voices at least to be Mexican (Monkey Island 3 has one of the best dubs ever). There's nothing worse than voice acting made by Spaniards

Remember the first spanish words I listen on videogames was in Tenchu-Playstation...... A guy that was in a boat said "no me mates" , I was confused and I had to play again to confirm.

Later, got a copy of Soul Raven (pal version)  that was totally in Spanish. Generally I like to have access to games in my language.

Sick of SackBoy threads