By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Latin America: Mexico, Central America, & South America Sales Thread

BKK2 said:
PS3 to launch in Argentina (presumably along with Colombia and Peru) on November 1st, for the bargain price of 2800 Pesos ($873). PES bundle will be 3000 Pesos ($936).

Link

Thanks for the link. At least is comparatively cheaper than the PS2 (which cost 2.5x the US price). Still, it won't sell very much until it's cracked.

Around the Network

PS3 launched end of October in:

Argentina: $905
Chile: $556
Colombia:$607
Peru: ???

Those countries have now been added to PSN registration menu along with Brazil, so I guess Sony plan to release PS3 there pretty soon too.

It comes bundled with PES, but it seems Sony have decided to dump their remaining 40Gb models on South America, as this is the only SKU being sold, and not the current 80Gb now being sold everywhere else.

BKK2 said:
PS3 launched end of October in:

Argentina: $846
Chile: $556
Colombia:$607
Peru: ???

Those countries have now been added to PSN registration menu along with Brazil, so I guess Sony plan to release PS3 there pretty soon too.

It comes bundled with PES, but it seems Sony have decided to dump their remaining 40Gb models on South America, as this is the only SKU being sold, and not the current 80Gb now being sold everywhere else.

They are offering it for 3000 pesos in the site you linked, that's a bit more than $900 if we take into account current exchange rates (1U$S = 3.33 pesos)

Ah yeah the PES bundle is more expensive in Argentina, there was supposed to be a non-bundled PS3 for P2800, which is what I converted to US$.

It's not a bad price in Chile though, considering that price actually is for the PES bundle.

Well, I looked for an non-bundled SKU in SonyStyle and I couldn't find it, so it must mean it's the only one they carry. I looked too in big home appliance store sites and I coulnd't find a PS3 anywhere (though I found a Wii for 2400 pesos, U$S 720). So that should mean that officialy there's no un-bundled SKU (of course, imported PS3 abound, and they are a lot cheaper too)

Around the Network

¿Cómo le hacen para saber las ventas en lugares como México?
How do you do to know the sales in countries like México?

MY ZELDA COLLECTION

SCEA: Latin America Market is Next

SCEA’s vice president of sales Ian Jackson was a little more explicit about his promoting intentions at the BMO Capital Markets Interactive Entertainment Conference yesterday, going into a 20 minute speech which detailed why Sony had reasons to be cheerful about the success of its hardware and software sales.

And after offering slideshow perspectives on Sony’s market share, and assurances that the company is in line with its goal of selling 10m PS3 units for the fiscal year, Mr Jackson moved straight onto detailing Sony’s plans for the PS2, its success, and plans for it to mushroom in Latin America.

“We are going into our ninth Christmas with the PS2. Never been done with a console manufacturer in the history of the industry. Nine years in, and PS2 is still on the shelf this Christmas and is still selling very well, and as a matter of fact in a tight economy, is a great value proposition for the consumer,” Jackson said, adding that sales of the eight-year old console will sell on the “high side of 3.5m units in north America” by the end of the fiscal year.

But North America is not Sony’s biggest plan for the PS2. Later on in his keynote, Jackson detailed the company’s three-phase plan for selling the establishing the console in Latin America.

“The significance of the Latin America market is huge,” said Jackson. “Obviously from a population standpoint I don’t think it’s a big secret that this is a huge opportunity. We will put a number of resources in place to cater to that market.”

The idea makes perfect sense for a company whose PS3 sales are struggling in the three biggest international markets. The inexpensive PS2 could be an ideal entry-level product for many areas of Latin America, and the potential there is massive. “Obviously just based on the sheer size of [Latin America], the number of countries there and the size of the population, long-term it has a very good opportunity to be bigger for SCEA than the Canadian market was.”

“We’re now launching there. There are countries in Phase 1 Latin America that we’re aggressively gong after, and they include Chile Argentina, Columbia, and Peru.” Phase two of Sony’s push into Latin America is scheduled to begin this month, with the console being distributed to Costa Rica, Ecuador, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua, Panama and Venezuela.

Phase three targets are Uruguay, Paraguay and of course Brazil. “We’ve identified that the Brazilian market as probably the biggest market opportunity for us, and that will be the third part of our launch which will take place over Spring 2009.”

Link

The article's author says PS2, but from the recent release of PS3 in the countries mentioned I'm pretty sure he's mistaken and Jackson was actually referring to PS3. His forecast that long term Latin America will be a bigger market for SCEA than Canada fits well with the graph in the OP where Latin America is forecast to make up 4% of worldwide revenue, compared to 3% for Canada by 2011.

It also confirms that Latin America comes under SCEA. Their Latin American expansion is very aggresive, they will be available in more countries than Microsoft and Nintendo come spring, this is a big change from previously, where they only launched in Mexico, and not until August 2007.

I bought my GC for US$ 300 and my GBA-SP for US$ 150, this at the end of 2004... so isn't surprising the market is still so small.
Gladly nowadays I can buy consoles from USA...

Article from last weekend's "6th annual Exposicion de Videojuegos Argentina":

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=21169

Mostly about local devs, but a small mention of the recent PS3 (and PSP) release:

The Sony keynote went into detail about their incubation program, the PlayStation Network, and the technical requirements for developing on the PSP, PS2 and perhaps, one day, the PS3's online store.

Sony's move into Latin America comes with strength. In addition to providing dev kits to six developers so far, with eight more in talks, Sony Argentina has officially launched the PSP and PS3 with some sales success.

They have the right idea with getting local content created. It sounds like it's just for PS2 and PSP at the moment, which makes sense from an installed base point of view.

An Argentinian dev is making games for Nintendo consoles too:

Sabarasa Entertainment had Protothea available to play on the Wii, and also presented Mazes of Fate for the DS, which went gold and shipped earlier this year to North American and European markets.

What? How could this expo happen and I didn't even heard about it? Not that I'd go, but still, it wasn't on any newspaper or TV channel. Shows how weak our industry is.
Still that one was a great article, I wonder how much success did Sony had with their consoles, I'm sure the PSP had some pretty good sales, given its..."crackeableness", not so much for the PS3