By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Latin America: Mexico, Central America, & South America Sales Thread

LOL...

Im Mexican and I own a Wii, a PS2, PS3, PSP and NDS. And I won't touch an Xbox360.

Around the Network
BKK2 said:

I don't think you understood my question. I was asking what the different taxes are:

II = 28%
ICMS = 25%
IPI = 50%
PIS = 1.65%
Confins = 7.6%

I should've specified that:

II = Import taxes

ICMS = Taxes on merchandise and services

IPI = taxes on national and foreign products that are assembled from other products (Exempt if Product is build in the Zona Franca de Manaus - It's a free trade zone, there are a total of 8 (I think) free trade zones in Brazil)

PIS = taxes paid by anyone if they have the purchase to resell said product

Confins = taxes paid in order to attend social programs by the government

phelipefabres said:
Well this is a very nice article!!congratulations!!
So, I live in Brazil and I can see that the Big 3(Nintendo, Sony, MS) are losing a great oporunity by now.....here we have piracy...but the major fact of the impopulity is the TAXES....o my god.....my wii cost obout 700 dolar...this is a lorge o money if you think in terms of my country....I think they have to had more talks with our governants, because we have more than 190 milions of people..thatś a lot of market and we definetly love playing games..just my opinion!! thanks

It's not so much that they are losing a great opportunity, it's our government that makes it impossible for them (and a whole bunch of other companies/industries).

EEE CHILE =)

FilaBrasileiro said:

I should've specified that:

II = Import taxes

ICMS = Taxes on merchandise and services

IPI = taxes on national and foreign products that are assembled from other products (Exempt if Product is build in the Zona Franca de Manaus - It's a free trade zone, there are a total of 8 (I think) free trade zones in Brazil)

PIS = taxes paid by anyone if they have the purchase to resell said product

Confins = taxes paid in order to attend social programs by the government

Thanks for the explanation.

Australias market is worth nothing. Its good to see these new opportunities though, no wonder Nintendo's doing their thing over there

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

Around the Network
BKK2 said:

The taxes for games in Brazil (and yes, we make up a whole bunch of taxes and then the money disappears on politics's pockets):

II = 28%
ICMS = 25%
IPI = 50%
PIS = 1.65%
Confins = 7.6%

Total = 112.25% on taxes alone, when you add shipping and stuff like that then you can see how a game can cost 257% over its value, making the business unfeasible.

Producing in the Zona Franca de Manaus gets rid of at least 2 taxes: II and IPI, making it more feasible to sell merchandise.

I guess the taxes you mention are import taxes? What are the other taxes?

And if they can sell the system and games for the prices I mentioned earlier or cheaper in all of Latin America, it'll be for at least another 5 and selling well...

PS2 will probably still be in production by the time PS4 gets released, lol. Sony's "ten year plan" for PS3 seems short compared to it's predecessor.

What do you mean when you say more expensive than copies? Do you mean more expensive then pirated games?

Yeah, I meant pirated games. Most people will still go for those, but I guess some will buy original games if they are more reasonably priced.

Even so, if Sony manages to diminish the price of the console, coupled with the fact that they are getting a profit from each unit sold, they could make a lot of money come christmas time.

So piracy would still hurt them, but they would be able to make a lot of money from legal purchases. NOt to mention of the people who will buy the cheaper real games.

www.jamesvandermemes.com

Isn't the PS3 supposed to be launching in South America soon? As in the system will actually be sold in a "regular" retail location versus having to order it?

marciosmg said:
BKK2 said:

The taxes for games in Brazil (and yes, we make up a whole bunch of taxes and then the money disappears on politics's pockets):

II = 28%
ICMS = 25%
IPI = 50%
PIS = 1.65%
Confins = 7.6%

Total = 112.25% on taxes alone, when you add shipping and stuff like that then you can see how a game can cost 257% over its value, making the business unfeasible.

Producing in the Zona Franca de Manaus gets rid of at least 2 taxes: II and IPI, making it more feasible to sell merchandise.

I guess the taxes you mention are import taxes? What are the other taxes?

And if they can sell the system and games for the prices I mentioned earlier or cheaper in all of Latin America, it'll be for at least another 5 and selling well...

PS2 will probably still be in production by the time PS4 gets released, lol. Sony's "ten year plan" for PS3 seems short compared to it's predecessor.

What do you mean when you say more expensive than copies? Do you mean more expensive then pirated games?

Yeah, I meant pirated games. Most people will still go for those, but I guess some will buy original games if they are more reasonably priced.

Even so, if Sony manages to diminish the price of the console, coupled with the fact that they are getting a profit from each unit sold, they could make a lot of money come christmas time.

So piracy would still hurt them, but they would be able to make a lot of money from legal purchases. NOt to mention of the people who will buy the cheaper real games.

Exactly, a lot of people will still buy pirated games, but Sony will make money on the Hardware no matter what, the PS2 cannot cost more than 80 bucks to make (and it'll probably be cheaper in Brazil), but also let's say Sony releases God of War and God of War 2 there and presses the discs in Brazil and all that and sells the games for R$30 - R$ 60, while they won't stop pirates and won't stop people from buying pirated games, they'll achieve at the very worst moderate success. They also have to realize that all this money is extra money in their pockets, they cannot be too greedy or they won't sell anything, so taking away development costs and stuff like that, if it costs them R$10 to press the discs and get them to the stores, R$10 profit for the store and R$ 10 profit for Sony, that is a very healthy profit per disc. Right now God of War probably costs R$100 legally in Brazil.

I don't know how feasible that is and I doubt that will happen when you consider that new DVD movies in Brazil are usually R$50 (though I don't know if they are pressed there or what), we can just wait and see now...

Sony should also be smart and release Singstars and Buzz all over the place, I know that Singstar would sell well in Brazil, and probably Buzz too.

dallas said:
Isn't the PS3 supposed to be launching in South America soon? As in the system will actually be sold in a "regular" retail location versus having to order it?

Posted earlier in this thread:

Sony Computer Entertainment will launch operations in Argentina, Columbia and Peru by March 2009, its first step into the South American market, Hirai said.

Sony announced Tuesday it would start business in South America this fiscal year, but did not specify target countries.

Link

No plans announced for Brazil yet.

PS3 to launch in Argentina (presumably along with Colombia and Peru) on November 1st, for the bargain price of 2800 Pesos ($873). PES bundle will be 3000 Pesos ($936).

Link