By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Latin America: Mexico, Central America, & South America Sales Thread

Yeah, 56% import tax on electronics in Brazil is just crazy.

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.

Around the Network

Live Brasil just starts working!!!

UOL Jogos posted a long video interview with Alexandre Garcia, Sony's Playstation manager for Brazil. He assures the Playstation 3 will be released very soon (no dates given) and Move shall be released simultaneously with the US (so there's a limit). The PSN is in the plans but will take longer, as they plan to localize it to Portuguese before the launching.

He said that God of War 3 sold more than 45K official copies (30K in the first 40 days), not counting those from the gray market not officially imported by Sony. Not too shabby, considering they still haven't released the PS3 here. They expect GT5 to do even better in the Brazilian market.

The PSP is going to be released after the PS3 and, as required to any Wi-Fi capable device, is currently under certification of the Brazilian telecommunication agency. Obviously, the PSP Go will be considered only after the PSN launch.

The interview is in Portuguese: http://jogos.uol.com.br/videos/player.jhtm?mediaId=entrevista-com-anderson-gracias-04021A3162CC8173A6

PS3 oficially released at Brazil for only R$ 2000. That's about US$1200 and twice the price of an Arcade X360 if I'm not mistaken.

Here in costarica prices are still really high, but improving... The ds is currently at $200-200, the psp $280-300, wii $360-400, ps3/360 $500-$700... Games are also very high $60-70 wii, $80-90 ps3/360... I went to a near store to asked them about the 3DS, the guy at the store told me even though nobody knows the price yet, is likely that if releases at $250 in the US (Which I think), I would cost around $450-600 in Costa Rica... Thats not a fact I know, but I wouldnt be much surprised if turns to be truth...

Menx64

3DS code: 1289-8222-7215

NNid: Menx064

Around the Network

I'm also from Costa Rica and I gotta say... even if the market here is tiny in comparison to other markets, implying that numbers would be negligible... most PS3/X360 gamers buy their consoles online in the US and import them, since it's a lot cheaper than buying retail. So a big number of our units are counting as US sales.

That said, from my subjective point of view PS3 kicked X360's ass hardcore. I don't have any numbers so I wouldn't know, but all my friends have PS3s or Wiis and their friends as well. I only know of 1 dude that has an X360... 1. But oh well, this doesn't necessarily mean a thing.

The reason behind this would be PSX/PS2's huge success in the past.

So how is Latin America going ?? 360 dominating right ? i think so Mexicans love 360.

LovePeace said:

So how is Latin America going ?? 360 dominating right ? i think so Mexicans love 360.

Brazil is dominated by Playstation and I expect all others (With the striking exception of Mexico) to be playstation too. Playstation is building in all emerging markets right now.

stopstopp said:
LovePeace said:

Brazil is dominated by Playstation and I expect all others (With the striking exception of Mexico) to be playstation too. Playstation is building in all emerging markets right now.

depends , Brazilians import alot from U.S and 360 is kicking U.S and Canada right now.

360 have been doing amazing this gen , almost doubled Xbox 1.

But great to see Ps3 kicking ass on these markets.

LovePeace said:
stopstopp said:
LovePeace said:

depends , Brazilians import alot from U.S and 360 is kicking U.S and Canada right now.

360 have been doing amazing this gen , almost doubled Xbox 1.

But great to see Ps3 kicking ass on these markets.

Brazilian market is driven by piracy. PS2 still domains (it has lots of games, it's easy to mod, it has Brazilian custom soccer games, etc). But the Wii and the Xbox 360 have been having good sales because they are modable. And the PS3 will see a huge increase in a near future when people start to get used with its jailbreak. It's sad, but it how the things work here.