By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Latin America: Mexico, Central America, & South America Sales Thread

@Fishy: But does vgchartz actually tracks anything in Latin America? Does it even estimate it on some past trends?
I remember that ioi was asked to specify what regions are included in America (with emphasis on LA regions) and he said that it doesn't matter becouse sales in LA are very small and are mostly gray imports anyway. Which I personally take as no estimation for LA market.

Around the Network
cwbys21 said:
Quick question for all of you in Mexico or other Spanish speaking nations. Do all of those countries speak the same kind of Spanish? Like America and England both speak English, but we have different words for different things so it isn't the same kind of English. I'm kind of wondering because would game companies have to hire on a Mexican company to sell the game in Mexico with the right Spanish translation, and thus driving prices higher, than they would to ship the game to Spain and the hiring of a company to translate the game to the Spanish that Spain might speak.

Yes, the spanish are very diferents between countrys, here the spanish is mixed with nahuatl and other indigen languages.

Sony Computer Entertainment will launch operations in Argentina, Columbia and Peru by March 2009, its first step into the South American market, Hirai said.

Sony announced Tuesday it would start business in South America this fiscal year, but did not specify target countries.

Link

MANUELF said:
cwbys21 said:
Quick question for all of you in Mexico or other Spanish speaking nations. Do all of those countries speak the same kind of Spanish? Like America and England both speak English, but we have different words for different things so it isn't the same kind of English. I'm kind of wondering because would game companies have to hire on a Mexican company to sell the game in Mexico with the right Spanish translation, and thus driving prices higher, than they would to ship the game to Spain and the hiring of a company to translate the game to the Spanish that Spain might speak.

Yes, the spanish are very diferents between countrys, here the spanish is mixed with nahuatl and other indigen languages.

Not only that, but I live in Brazil and here we speak Portuguese not Spanish, even though we are in Latin America.

That´s because my country was a colony of Portugal, not Spain.

www.jamesvandermemes.com

Wait, this isn't good.

Spain end of 07

VGC sales:

Ps3: 582K
Wii: 441K
X360: 252K
PsP: 1513K
DS: 2101K

This graph:

Ps3: 400K
Wii: 530K
X360: 240K
PsP: 1250K
DS: 2220K

So we are 180K above on Ps3, and 90K below on Wii.

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/userreviewdisp.php?id=261

That is VGChartz LONGEST review. And it's NOT Cute Kitten DS

Around the Network

And Holy Crap at Italy!

Console/ VGC numbers / Graph numbers / difference

DS: 1761K /960K / 800K more on VGC
PsP: 954K / 670K / 280K more on VGC
X360: 325K /210K / 115K more on VGC
Ps3: 350K / 220K / 130K more on VGC
Wii: 265K / 190K / 75K more on VGC

FishyJoe said:

Looks like Nintendo is making a big push into Latin America.

http://www.reuters.com/article/rbssConsumerGoodsAndRetailNews/idUSN1434644020080814

Nintendo to boost drive in Latin American market
Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:01pm EDT

PLAYA BONITA, Panama, Aug 14 (Reuters) - Japan's Nintendo plans a more aggressive marketing campaign in Spanish to corner Latin America's growing games market and tap growing appetite for fitness and sports titles.

"The long-term economic potential of Latin America makes this an extremely important market for video games," Nintendo of America President Reggie Fils-Aime told an industry conference in the Pacific resort of Playa Bonita on Thursday.

The campaign, which will go after non-core gamers, is expected to begin before the always busy Christmas season, but Nintendo (7974.OS: Quote, Profile, Research, Stock Buzz) did not say when it was due.

With its growing consumer base, Latin America has become an attractive market for companies looking to offset the current U.S. economic slowdown.

Nintendo, which made pop culture icons of characters such as Donkey Kong, Mario and Luigi, launched its Wii console in 2006. It become an instant hit thanks to its easy-to-learn motion-sensing controller, low price and innovative titles.

Wii outsold Sony Corp's (6758.T: Quote, Profile, Research, Stock Buzz) PlayStation 3 and Microsoft Corp's (MSFT.O: Quote, Profile, Research, Stock Buzz) Xbox 360, putting Nintendo in the leading position in a three-way game console battle.

"Nintendo has experienced phenomenal growth in the region over the past few years growth that has even surpassed what we have seen in the United States," Fils-Aime said at Nintendo NEX Latin America 2008, which brings together software developers and distributors in the region.

Bill van Zyll, head of Nintendo's operations in Latin America, said the region's video game market could be worth $2 billion this year.

That is just a fraction of the global market, which is worth around $57 billion, according to research firm DFC Intelligence. (Reporting by Andrew Beatty; Editing by Steve Orlofsky)

omg thats was near where i livee xD.

i just hope console companies moving to this territory prices go down especiall the ps3 that isn't going down than 499$

@Oyv: Those numbers shouldn't be taken too seriously (apperently).
Vgchartz Italy numbers are in line with GFK numbers (we get hardware data on monthly basis).

Spain's accuracy probably isn't much better.

Oyvoyvoyv said:
Wait, this isn't good.

Spain end of 07

VGC sales:

This graph:

They're just IDG estimates for the purpose of comparison to Mexico. We have more accurate numbers for the other countries from GfK & NPD.

BKK2 said:
Oyvoyvoyv said:
Wait, this isn't good.

Spain end of 07

VGC sales:

This graph:

They're just IDG estimates for the purpose of comparison to Mexico. We have more accurate numbers for the other countries from GfK & NPD.

But I believe it still asks a question regarding the accuracy.

Having said that, it may be correct.

http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=15353

660K Wiis and it has a 3:2 rate against Ps3.

It's sometime in January.

That seems fairly logical. A lot more in line than with VGC numbers.