By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Latin America: Mexico, Central America, & South America Sales Thread

TheSource said:

I stickied this thread so that we can explain why 'Americas' != USA or even USA+Canada.

Keep the articles coming.

But the main point is this:

Latin America is tiny compared to Japan/USA/Europe for videogame sales, and most software is pirated. So while hw is taken into account for places like Mexico & Argentina...sw is largely negligible compared to other regions.

Yeah,you're very right @The Source,even more if you consider that many hardware units that had been sold on Mexico are taken like USA sales,because many Mexican's online stores sells imported systems which have already been counted as sales in the USA,this practices are very common to avoid taxes under the NAFTA treatment.Only grand stores declares hardware and software sales,like Sam's Club,Blockbuster,Liverpool,Palacio de Hierro and GamePlanet(The major chain videogaming stores here in Mexico),but a major of the legal sales are from online stores.

This is why we can't see the true Mexico's potential in the games industry,the third gaming market on the continent,just under EUA and Canada.This kind of commercial practices and the piracy mess so much with my country's market.

Around the Network
TheSource said:

I stickied this thread so that we can explain why 'Americas' != USA or even USA+Canada.

Latin America is tiny compared to Japan/USA/Europe for videogame sales, and most software is pirated. So while hw is taken into account for places like Mexico & Argentina...sw is largely negligible compared to other regions.

so very true, piracy is the main reason xbox is selling, ps3 and wii are not been pireted so people have little interest in them.

here is a sorprise, the wii is for rich people and  most have only heard about the ps3. The price of the ps3 is the same as a 1 month salary in many latin american countries, and it could take a year of savings to buy one. thnx to local taxes it can range from US$1000 to US$1500 for the ps3, and games are  around the US$100 for any console but the ps2, so that is why piracy is the way to go. too bad. i buy all my games hoping that one day companies will take notice of this market and take us into account when they plan the next gen of consoles cus when sony  come up with a US$600 console it was an insult.

fazz said:
Great info BKK2. The Xbox 360 is VERY popular among the non-enthusiast gamers, and with kids too, so it's not surprising 360 has strong sales here. It has taken the spot the PS2 left.

In the case of the Wii, its sold to the very enthusiast like myself.

Yeah Fazz,you're right but you like me know the very key of the 360's sucess here on Mexico:The piracy.

From 25 people I know that got a 360,20 of them had mod it and only buy piracy games,and therefore this affect the Wii in the same way,the measure (or percent) is minus,from 7 guys that owns a Wii of people I know only two of them have mod their Wii.

The PS3 is just expensive insane and without the piracy option doesn't appeal the gaming masses,just like his older bros (PSone&PS2) did it in past times.

Damn,I only know two weird people like me that have a PS3 and don't try to kill for that Fazz

siriguillo said:

so very true, piracy is the main reason xbox is selling, ps3 and wii are not been pireted so people have little interest in them.

Huh? Ps3 hasn't been pirated, that's correct, but the Wii has been cracked since almost a month after it went on sale, type wii modchip in wikipedia and you'll see what i mean. Heck, you can even pirate WiiWare and VC games

OT7 said:
fazz said:
Great info BKK2. The Xbox 360 is VERY popular among the non-enthusiast gamers, and with kids too, so it's not surprising 360 has strong sales here. It has taken the spot the PS2 left.

Yeah Fazz,you're right but you like me know the very key of the 360's sucess here on Mexico:The piracy.

From 25 people I know that got a 360,20 of them had mod it and only buy piracy games,and therefore this affect the Wii in the same way,the measure (or percent) is minus,from 7 guys that owns a Wii of people I know only two of them have mod their Wii.

The PS3 is just expensive insane and without the piracy option doesn't appeal the gaming masses,just like his older bros (PSone&PS2) did it in past times.

Damn,I only know two weird people like me that have a PS3 and don't try to kill for that Fazz

I just know one guy with a PS3 (A 360 too) and about 8 guys with a 360... all of them love Halo 3...

By me:

Made with Blender + LuxRender
"Since you can´t understand ... there is no point to taking you seriously."
Around the Network

i have a ps3. and i live in mexico city.
i dont like the 360.

siriguillo said:
TheSource said:

here is a sorprise, the wii is for rich people and most have only heard about the ps3. The price of the ps3 is the same as a 1 month salary in many latin american countries, and it could take a year of savings to buy one. thnx to local taxes it can range from US$1000 to US$1500 for the ps3, and games are around the US$100 for any console but the ps2, so that is why piracy is the way to go. too bad. i buy all my games hoping that one day companies will take notice of this market and take us into account when they plan the next gen of consoles cus when sony come up with a US$600 console it was an insult.

Those prices are shocking, though in oz we pay 110$ per game. PS3 aint much cheaper 700$, though its related to EU pricing.  How many developers exist in Latin America?

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

Ratix240sx said:
is there any sales info on Brazil?

PS2 officially launched in 2006 or something, don't expect high numbers, everybody there wants to buy a modded PS2, everything is pirated, though the pricing is kind of affordable now, it still cannot compete with the pirated software.

FJ-Warez said:
OT7 said:
fazz said:

I just know one guy with a PS3 (A 360 too) and about 8 guys with a 360... all of them love Halo 3...

I know 2 with X360, 5 with Wii and 1 with PS3.

koffieboon said:
It would also put Mexico ahead of Japan, Germany, Italy and Spain, which makes it weird they're only talking about Spain.

Well, Mexico has strong links to Spain, so it doesn't seem that weird that they would compare the two.