By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Why hasn't Sony secured FFXIII exclusivity?

Kyros said:
Oh come on. In the end buying exclusivity only helps fanboys. Less people can play it, S-E makes less money and people who would like the game cannot play it.

So I am sure MS paid a lot of money for the simultaneous release but it will be far less than SONY would have had to pay for exclusivity. Because that's wasted money.

I couldn't care less about FFXIII becoming multiplatform, now Portal Alive being 360 exclusive THAT HURTS.

Weren't you touting FFXIII as a big PS3 game with all the others a couple of months ago. You know those old posts are gonna start popping back up really soon, and it's not gonna be pretty.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Around the Network

Well, the game is exclusive in Japan, where it'll sell the most.

This is the most epic ownage that perhaps, we have ever seen

That would be true if they had just announced FFXIII exclusive for 360. Becoming multiplatform was not exactly unexpected, was it. ( A million comments in this forum "predicted" this).
The only people who could have a problem with this are 360 owners who bought a PS3 for FFXIII. This is the Multiplatform-generation. And to be honest great games being exclusive to one platform are a waste of money. Now I want a Mass Effects port please. Fair is fair.

Weren't you touting FFXIII as a big PS3 game with all the others a couple of months ago.

Not that I remember it. It was possible in a list of other games (Gran Turismo, God of War3 you know) but I hate JRPGs so I will have mentioned it less often than other people. And you are overplaying it a bit .

noname2200 said:
Godot said:
noname2200 said:

You may actually be right. HD is killing gaming in a way. Mostly innovation as people do not want to take risks anymore. Sure, there still are XBL arcade or PSN or wiiware but the games are small.

Glad to see we're in agreement. I also think HD costs are picking off the smaller studios one by one; I remember an interview in '06 where two people debated whether mergers and consolidations were good or not, and the guy who said "good" bluntly stated that if you're not already established or very, very lucky, this generation would kill you.

Add to that the fact that Squeenix has never been able to control how much it spends on mainline Final Fantasy games (X cost over $30 million on the PS2...) and it becomes clear to me why this happened, especially if Microsoft sweetened the pot a little.  As to your other questions, I do think this will have a similar effect as GTA IV did: since both consoles have it, console sales won't be as high as they otherwise would be (Japan excepted).

And I doubt this is directly the reason why the game's been delayed so often; more likely Squeenix kept thinking the PS3 pool was too small to guarantee a good RoI, and kept delaying it until the situation improved. If that's true, this move tells us pretty clearly what they think of Sony's chances...

What I hate is that even if the games look much better, they're not better. They do not even sound better. FFVI and Chrono Trigger have a better soundtrack than all the new FF games. The story in FFVI and FFVII were much better than FFX and FFXII.

I also do not predict a big boost for either console when the game releases.

How many cups of darkness have I drank over the years? Even I don't know...

microsoft probably offered more money to them

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

Around the Network

This really makes me want to watch sonys tomorrow to hear their Bombshell against MS. If you think about it, we haven't heard anything from sony about ff13 in the last few months that that makes me think that sony know this was coming and have prepared for this. I know im speculating right now until tomorrow but I think sony has an ace or two up their sleeves.

Any thoughts about what thoses aces could be?
I'm thinking those team ICO games
Taking Gears of War 2 away from 360. think this cuz M$ really didnt go it to much of the biggest game for them this fall.
Getting the New Bungie game.

ultraslick said:
d21lewis said:
Man, I bought a PS3 last month, and FFXIII was one of the reasons why. Sony better have some BIG guns lined up! New exclysives are a must. In less than a month, I own every PS3 game I feel is worth buying, and the future doesn't look all that stellar........

because 1 sony game is now a multiplat?

You sir are an idiot.

I'm not going to battle you.  We're above that, aren't we?  I will say this: Currently, there's nothing on the market for the PS3 that I want, but don't currently own.  Sadly, I only own 4 PS3 games(MGS4. Motor Storm, Heavenly Sword, and Uncharted).  Every other PS3 game I would've considered is also a 360 game.  Out of the future exclusive games I intend to buy, FFXIII was at the top of my list.  Little Big Planet?  Maybe for my daughter.  Killzone?  I'll buy it, but I'm not really a FPS fan.  Tell me what exclusive title on the horizon should I be excited about?  I'm not biased.  I WILL BUY IT.

very other PS3 game I would've considered is also a 360 game.

And again its the same the other way round isn't it? The 360 currently has nothing I want. Halo3 and Mass Effects perhaps and the latter will be most likely a PS3 game in midterm.
Yes FFXIII becoming multiplatform may be a big deal for 360 owners who also thought about buying a PS3 but that's not the most important target group.

Sony does not buy exclusives.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL