By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Why hasn't Sony secured FFXIII exclusivity?

hunter_alien said:
Lets all prey for Sony to have a good presentation this E3 , or the show could easily be Microsofts ...

They can't top this even in their wet dreams.

Around the Network

Dont know ,I thought it had it secured.Maybe MS paid enough for SE to pay the penalty for infringing the contract with Sony.

What could Sony possibly announce? Kingdom Hearts 3? Definitely not: if they can't tie up the exclusivity of FF13, why would they tie up KH3?

noname2200 said:
Of course, I'm a little biased, seeing as how I think the rising development costs of the HD systems is killing gaming, and am willing to see proof where perhaps none exists.

I tend to agree with this...AAAA(AAAA) titles need to sell 1 mil + copies nowadays to recoup cost, and this is probably only going to grow as gaming showcases keep one uping eachother..having the HD consoles splitting the market, will force many 'exclusives' to go multi.  Which I dont mind really.

I have never played a FF game, never been my genre of choice...so I hope all console owners enjoy it.

PSN: TheGodofWine (Warhawk / R2 / MotorStorm PR)

AND

PSN: Skigazzi (for KZ2 and future games)

bobobologna said:
Because Sony is poor. They can't justify spending more money to lock up exclusives when they are bleeding like crazy from the PS3.

Um... I bet that Sony would bleed just a little more for FF13 exclusivity. I mean 100 mil dollars (which is a shit ton money) looks like nothing compared to their losses.... Hell its nothing compared to losing the game

Around the Network

probably Microsoft paid more than sony

Wii/Mario Kart Wii Code:2793-0686-5434
d21lewis said:
Man, I bought a PS3 last month, and FFXIII was one of the reasons why. Sony better have some BIG guns lined up! New exclysives are a must. In less than a month, I own every PS3 game I feel is worth buying, and the future doesn't look all that stellar........

because 1 sony game is now a multiplat?

You sir are an idiot.

̶3̶R̶D̶   2ND! Place has never been so sweet.

I blame the ABBA song: Money Money Money

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

S-E did state that the game is still exclusive in Japan, due to the small 360 userbase there, so that's at least something.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Godot said:
noname2200 said:

You may actually be right. HD is killing gaming in a way. Mostly innovation as people do not want to take risks anymore. Sure, there still are XBL arcade or PSN or wiiware but the games are small.

Glad to see we're in agreement. I also think HD costs are picking off the smaller studios one by one; I remember an interview in '06 where two people debated whether mergers and consolidations were good or not, and the guy who said "good" bluntly stated that if you're not already established or very, very lucky, this generation would kill you.

Add to that the fact that Squeenix has never been able to control how much it spends on mainline Final Fantasy games (X cost over $30 million on the PS2...) and it becomes clear to me why this happened, especially if Microsoft sweetened the pot a little.  As to your other questions, I do think this will have a similar effect as GTA IV did: since both consoles have it, console sales won't be as high as they otherwise would be (Japan excepted).

And I doubt this is directly the reason why the game's been delayed so often; more likely Squeenix kept thinking the PS3 pool was too small to guarantee a good RoI, and kept delaying it until the situation improved. If that's true, this move tells us pretty clearly what they think of Sony's chances...