By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Why hasn't Sony secured FFXIII exclusivity?

By the way,Square is holding a conference now explaining the motives and details.

And ....this sucks.Apparently they will focus on FFXIII on the PS3 for the Japanese release.The 360 version wont be released there.Then once the development finished they will start the 360 development (easy because the Crystal Tools through PC can be easily ported) and localization for both versions.Then once the development/localitazion ends they will release the game in US and a bit later but the sooner possible compared to other games in Europe.

So ,we may be getting the game delayed in western markets due to the development of the 360 version.

Around the Network

Sony started doing so well too... just to F it up again...

They have said before that first party games are more important than thrid-party exclusives, but come on, FF XIII is one of the most important games this gen (allthough, the hype might go down due to the fact that it's not an exclusive anymore).

I even think a 360 version of MGS 4 will be announced soon.

Its all about the shareholders... Shareholders want a return on their investment and it is a no brainer that the return would be much higher if they have both a 360 and PS3 version.

NeoRatt said:
Its all about the shareholders... Shareholders want a return on their investment and it is a no brainer that the return would be much higher if they have both a 360 and PS3 version.

They just said as much, yes.

http://kotaku.com/5025033/liveblogging-square-enix-press-conference

Says Hashimoto: "We considered the hardware situation. Because of that, we considered the spread of the hardware, so that's why we decided that."

Around the Network

Oh come on. In the end buying exclusivity only helps fanboys. Less people can play it, S-E makes less money and people who would like the game cannot play it.

So I am sure MS paid a lot of money for the simultaneous release but it will be far less than SONY would have had to pay for exclusivity. Because that's wasted money.

I couldn't care less about FFXIII becoming multiplatform, now Portal Alive being 360 exclusive THAT HURTS.

It makes me think that maybe Sony really DOESN'T pay for exclusive content.  I could see them working out a deal to include games in a bundle to keep them exclusive (MGS4), but in the end, that wasn't enough for Square.  However, seeing how this was formarly announced as exclusive to the PS3, and now it's also on 360, there is absolutly no doubt whatsoever that Microsoft is throwing lots of money around to get games to come to their console.

Owner of PS4 Pro, Xbox One, Switch, PS Vita, and 3DS

d21lewis said:
Man, I bought a PS3 last month, and FFXIII was one of the reasons why. Sony better have some BIG guns lined up! New exclysives are a must. In less than a month, I own every PS3 game I feel is worth buying, and the future doesn't look all that stellar........

You're still going to be able to play online for free, you have a bluray player, wifi built in.

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

At least FFXIII VS is exclusive

Diomedes1976 said:
By the way,Square is holding a conference now explaining the motives and details.

And ....this sucks.Apparently they will focus on FFXIII on the PS3 for the Japanese release.The 360 version wont be released there.Then once the development finished they will start the 360 development (easy because the Crystal Tools through PC can be easily ported) and localization for both versions.Then once the development/localitazion ends they will release the game in US and a bit later but the sooner possible compared to other games in Europe.

So ,we may be getting the game delayed in western markets due to the development of the 360 version.

Wow, Microsoft smote PS3 and FF fans in the worst possible way that it ever could have done. This is the most epic ownage that perhaps, we have ever seen. I think, barring unbelievable news, Microsoft actually just won E3, despite the fact that I really hoped Nintendo would(and the 1:1 device is sure as hell great, but FFXIII...on the...Xbox 360....it still hasn't sunk in.)

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.