By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - IGN review RE4 (Wii) - 9.0

WTF Amazon??? I pre-ordered this, now they are telling me it's delayed. I might have to check the local stores. Argh!

Around the Network
twesterm said:
Interesting side note: the game lets you use the Gamecube and Classic Controllers as well as the motion controls. I hadn't heard anything about this until randomly trying and I suppose it's a nice touch if you just don't like the motion controls.

Good news for the ones who just care about extras.

^Click on cards to level'em up!!!^ =D

I got my copy today.

I bought the game today... I got the gc and ps2 collector's editions when they were released, and have 100%ed both versions. After spending an hour with the Wii version, I grew tired of the controls. The control scheme works, but relying on the analog stick to shift your view while aiming with the 'mote is a major put-off. That's my only gripe, really, since it's a nice deal, and looks great in hd.

R9 5950x - RTX 3090 - Odyssey G9

Well, that does it. How can reviewers bash the controls without mentioning there was the option not to use them!? Did they even notice this was an option? Cause for them not to even notice it is even more shameful.

I understand that a big part of this being remade on the Wii is the controls, so score it badly if you don't like it. But at least mention that there's an alternative! And even playing with the old controls, this is still the definitive version of a classic (best graphics, most content).

This ubergamer crowd (from which reviewers no doubt come from) has to realize that a lot of people who bought/will buy the Wii never had a Gamecube (if nothing else, cause it's on its way to out-selling it pretty fast), and some never had a PS2. Also, most of us Wii owners probably have no problem with not living on the bleeding edge, and we'll gladly take budget-priced ports of games we've never played, even if they only advance a little in graphics and/or gameplay. After all, we're buying our virtual console games too.

Reality has a Nintendo bias.
Around the Network
KruzeS said:
Well, that does it. How can reviewers bash the controls without mentioning there was the option not to use them!? Did they even notice this was an option? Cause for them not to even notice it is even more shameful.

I understand that a big part of this being remade on the Wii is the controls, so score it badly if you don't like it. But at least mention that there's an alternative! And even playing with the old controls, this is still the definitive version of a classic (best graphics, most content).

This ubergamer crowd (from which reviewers no doubt come from) has to realize that a lot of people who bought/will buy the Wii never had a Gamecube (if nothing else, cause it's on its way to out-selling it pretty fast), and some never had a PS2. Also, most of us Wii owners probably have no problem with not living on the bleeding edge, and we'll gladly take budget-priced ports of games we've never played, even if they only advance a little in graphics and/or gameplay. After all, we're buying our virtual console games too.

This is the vibe I've been getting from Wii game reviews: They simply spend 15 minutes with the game and declare a verdict based on what they have previously played on other platforms.

Take for instance Need for Speed: Carbon. I've seen the reviews and overall they complain about the lousy controls. Admittedly, the controls stink to high heaven, but only if you leave it on the default setting, which happens to be "waggle-heavy". Indeed, Carbon sucks with waggle, but there are other control mappings including a much more conventional thumbstick-steering option. With the more conventional controls, the game plays nicely and is actually not half bad (as far as Need for Speed goes - never been a fan since Porsche Unleashed). 

The controls for Re4 are good, being familiar with the PS2 or GC versions though almost makes it a handicap as you're constantly trying to play it that style while adapting to the new control settings. You literally have to not only re-learn the controls to a certain extent but then train your brain to handle another element of the controls, aiming, where as before your controller was just a stationary item in your hands.

And what's this of playing it without the Wiimote? Did I hear that wrong?

BTW, did anyone else like the Umbrella Chronicles trailer under the Extras?

Gballzack said:
The controls for Re4 are good, being familiar with the PS2 or GC versions though almost makes it a handicap as you're constantly trying to play it that style while adapting to the new control settings. You literally have to not only re-learn the controls to a certain extent but then train your brain to handle another element of the controls, aiming, where as before your controller was just a stationary item in your hands.

You absolutely can play it with either the VC controller or the GC one. 

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Bodhesatva said:
Gballzack said:

Seems like a boring way to do it though.  I would rather relearn the controls and play the game in a whole new way.

Bodhesatva said:
Gballzack said:

So what, I just plug one of those in instead and it works in place of the Wii-mote's controls?