By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Manhunt 2 gets kiss of death, ESRB rates it AO

roadkillers said:

I'll agree that this game wont break the 500k with the AO rating but if that is dropped to an M im pretty sure it will sell more then the origanal. Yet even if it stays AO it could still sell over the million mark. You never know, no game has ever been released with an AO rating. People might just make an extra trip to EB or gamestop to get it.

Well that's probably true, if they get the drop down to the M rating it will likely outsell the first with all the press it's getting.  My point was simply that this is not the Wii's GTA, it's not a maintream game that appeals to both casual and hardcore like GTA.  That's not to say there won't be something like that eventually for the Wii (maybe even by Take Two, take a look at their statement that they are concentrating development on Nintendo over the next year), but this will not be that game.

Around the Network

I've been saying from the beginning, Nintendo will be sorry for releasing this game...

"Videogame console teaches murder! The dangers of the Nintendo Wii, on page 36"

mancandy said:
@Neos

I agree, now this is a real kiddie game. All the boys will want to play this for sure. I guess people were right to call the Wii a kiddie machine.

I think they will tone it down to get a mature rating. It's going to be hard since the ESRB probably already have it their heads that you mimick a killer's actions in the game instead of merely pressing buttons.

One game does not change the trend of mini-games and games designed for kids.

I hope the Wii does get more games like Manhunt 2, though.  I look forward to playing it. 

z64dan said:
I've been saying from the beginning, Nintendo will be sorry for releasing this game...

Free advertising

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Here's how this will all go down from here on:

1. Rockstar removes and edits some content and re applies for a rating.
2. ESRB gives it an M rating.
3. Game gets released everywhere it should and now has hype surrounding it.

It's all good for Rockstar to boost sales, but I don't think it is that good for Nintendo this is getting dangerously close to too controversial because of the controls and the whole 'murder simulator' crap that's gonna be talked about and it might turn off parents from buying it since the sensationalist media stories will be all they hear about it and they'll overreact and it will negatively impact their decision to buy a Wii...

I bet you anything the Wii version gets the brunt of the attack from the 'moral' crowd on this game and that the Wii will be mentioned a lot more in the headlines than the actual name of the game as a console that makes it possible to simulate executions.

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

Around the Network
Entroper said:
shams said:

Ladies & Gents, we have the new "Clockwork Orange" of the modern era for videogames...

Except Clockwork Orange, Lolita, etc. all had substance.

And this automatically doesn't right? Since you've played the game... oh wait you haven't....

SpaceJase said:
roadkillers said:
On the dreamcast? No PS2 and Xbox. Where do you get the dreamcast from?

I thought I must be confusing it with another game and it turns out I was.

In the game I was thinking of on the DC you went about on a motorbike to various locations before getting involved in shoot outs with criminals. You where a Cop type character as I remember - must've had a similar name?

Headhunter?

Yes

z64dan said:

Nintendo isn't releasing the game. Rockstar is. So you have wrong from the beginning.

Darc Requiem said:
z64dan said:

Nintendo isn't releasing the game. Rockstar is. So you have wrong from the beginning.

It's on the Wii people will associate it with the Wii not rockstar because it's the console that is letting you do the executions...

We're talking about the general populace here who are not very aware of gaming information.

Rockstar's dedication to pushing the envelope may finally have reached its limit in the current political/cultural climate.

It seems they have two choices:

1) Release the game AO for the hardcore audience and lose money on it (maybe make it mail-order only? That would probably satisfy the audience that wants it uncut, without having to deal with the retail resistance)

2) Tone the game down (if that's even possible) to get an M rating

I expect we'll see a delay (it was scheduled for 7/10 release) while they figure out if they can make it more clearly a hallucination/fantasy or reduce the gore somehow to take the edge off of it. I don't know if that's really possible. I just have a hard time imagining how they could trim back the content - it really seems to be the whole CONCEPT of the game that's producing such a strong reaction. I suspect if Majesco released "Murdering Mama" it would get a similar response, even with simple, obviously non-realistic graphics.

I'm not sure how I feel personally about this one -- I was planning to pick it up, more as an over-the-top "THIS one takes the cake" conversation piece than a game to sit down and finish. But it has gotten good reviews, and I'd rather see it make it out uncut than bowdlerized. Maybe they can appeal the rating and work it out with the ESRB somehow.

What this indicates is that the "M" rating isn't really doing its job -- kids are still getting ahold of games they should not be allowed to play, and so the "AO" rating is being called into service.