By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Manhunt 2 gets kiss of death, ESRB rates it AO

cgnobody said:
Blex said:
cgnobody said:

parents and kids may initially ignore it, but the media and the goverment officials are going to slight it.  and in doing so, will make parents aware that the brand (Nintendo) that they trusted to bring them the quality of games they've come to expect for the past 20 years, has allowed a game like MHII to become available on a platform engineered, in their minds, for kids.

And the way in which you play game only makes it easier for goverment officials to question and ban it.  and as for the US, this may be the game that pulls the trigger on that law that would allow congress to oversee the rating of videogames in the states.

they have tried it before and if the government gets control of the rating system it will be the end of creative gaming freedom, mark my words.

the wii has parental controls anyway. if a parent doesnt care enough to turn on the parental controls and stop their kid from playing the game, then its there fault for not taking the necessary action to do it.

a parent should know that a game rated M or AO isnt intended for a minor. a parent shouldnt rely on the politicians or the government to tell them that. they should use their common sense and realize it for themselves

yes they should, unfortunatly we as a society don't like to take any form of responsability.  It always ends up being someone elses fault, like the endless random excuses like: it was the drugs, it was the alcohol, it was the environment, it goes on and on.  People too often portray themselves as the victim therefor eliminating any chance of recieving some of the blame.

i agree that parents are to blame. but getting them to admit that will never happen. its never their fault

if a parent ever tries to take the game to court over an incident, then yes i believe it will be seen as their fault.

lets say if their child ever killed someone, and told police that he learned it off and was able to imitate it off the game manhunt 2. so of course the parents would want to sue either take two or nintendo or both for releasing a game like this....BUT it will be said that wii has parental controls and it should have been that parents responsibility to turn them on.

i dont see the problem yet with this game if its released on the wii. it can easily be avoided if some parents take responsibility and i agree with you that some parents wont do it.

its intended for the adult audience and i believe take-two said that themselves.

Wii ID: 3598-1817-7961-3393. PM me if you want an add

If it wasnt for MGS4, the PS3 is unnecessary

Around the Network

Sheesh, I kind of feel bad for people trying to prove the Wii is more than just a kid system, as it looks like politicians are trying to peg it a kid system.

Could this potentially scare off Mature games from developers (or have some sort of an effect)?

IllegalPaladin said:
Sheesh, I kind of feel bad for people trying to prove the Wii is more than just a kid system, as it looks like politicians are trying to peg it a kid system.

Could this potentially scare off Mature games from developers (or have some sort of an effect)?

i dont know if you meant me or not but i wasnt trying to prove that at all. i would have no reason to do that or get anything out of it. but its just the thought of any publisher or developer getting blamed for something that isnt there fault (excluding manhunt 2) pisses me off.

well, blex. going on the assumption that the age posted on your profile is correct. you must have taken government in HS? i sould also assume that you dont live in one of our liberal states and haven't taken any studies on law. (i have taken some and have a lawyer for an uncle)
The media and the courts have often raised cases that accussed the entertainment industry for criminal action taken by minors.
Its very seldom to think that our courts would believe in makeing the purpatraters actions their own when there are so many things to blame it on.

it is absurd to allow people to blame their actions on an opposing working force, but they do and they always will. eventhough most cases against the videogame industry, it was because the failure for the courts to make a translation between pushing a button to kill a virtual character. but now that the player has to pysically move the body in a way that mimics the murder, that translation become quite clearer and easier to associate to that of a real murder.

PSN ID: cgnobody

Xbox Gamertag: cgnobodyX

Wii friend code: 1445-3731-4393-2518

How is AO the kiss of death. M is for 17+. AO is for 18+ BIG DEAL! One year difference. Sure this might turn away parents who might buy M titles for their kids and Rockstar might lose a few thousand sales, but what was everyone expecting? You have blood everywhere in the game and you can kill people by slitting through their scrotum.

Around the Network
cgnobody said:
well, blex. going on the assumption that the age posted on your profile is correct. you must have taken government in HS? i sould also assume that you dont live in one of our liberal states and haven't taken any studies on law. (i have taken some and have a lawyer for an uncle)
The media and the courts have often raised cases that accussed the entertainment industry for criminal action taken by minors.
Its very seldom to think that our courts would believe in makeing the purpatraters actions their own when there are so many things to blame it on.

it is absurd to allow people to blame their actions on an opposing working force, but they do and they always will. eventhough most cases against the videogame industry, it was because the failure for the courts to make a translation between pushing a button to kill a virtual character. but now that the player has to pysically move the body in a way that mimics the murder, that translation become quite clearer and easier to associate to that of a real murder.

my age is correct and i will be going to college this fall and yes i have also taken government classes. i understand how it works and i know where you are coming from...but like some people in our country i dont agree with what the government does and how they handle things.

i understand how the court cases work but i was only stating how i felt about the whole situation. thats all i can do because i know it probably never change.

clandecyon said:
How is AO the kiss of death. M is for 17+. AO is for 18+ BIG DEAL! One year difference. Sure this might turn away parents who might buy M titles for their kids and Rockstar might lose a few thousand sales, but what was everyone expecting? You have blood everywhere in the game and you can kill people by slitting through their scrotum.
It's the kiss of death since many retailers may not carry the game just because of the AO rating.

Wii Code 8761-5941-4718-0078 

Blex said:
cgnobody said:

my age is correct and i will be going to college this fall and yes i have also taken government classes. i understand how it works and i know where you are coming from...but like some people in our country i dont agree with what the government does and how they handle things.

i understand how the court cases work but i was only stating how i felt about the whole situation. thats all i can do because i know it probably never change.

cool. btw, i really didn't mean to sound like a jerk but, what make sense and what often happens are never alike . especially in the states.

as they say, commen sense is not so commen.

alot of people are stupid and will continue to abuse our judical system as long as they continue to win.

do us all a fovor and become a lawyer to put a stop to this maddness. reclaim and enforce the idea that we are capable and responsable for all our actions.

PSN ID: cgnobody

Xbox Gamertag: cgnobodyX

Wii friend code: 1445-3731-4393-2518

If this game is getting this much publicity like this seems like it would just be in Nintendo's best interest to allow the game to be released with an AO rating I mean it means parents won't see it on the shelves so you kind of eliminate that well I didn't know that I couldn't give my 12 year old an M rated rated game mentality which if anything did happen I'm pretty sure that is what it would be like. A parent would essentially claim ignorance of the Wii ability to block content based on rating and their own ignorance in what an M rating meant assuming that all things Nintendo are obviously G rated. Rating it AO though means they have to take an extra step to even see the game it isn't something your kid will bring up to you and without even looking at it you just buy for them at the store. Conversly those that still want the game and are the actual target audience can still buy the game. As for Nintendo they can keep their kiddy rating for the parents and have the only AO rated game so far this generation for the more mature gamers that only think of the system as a kiddy system. All in all though the PS2 GTA series, SOCOM and MGS didn't seem to keep parents from buying the PS2 and I don't believe GTA ever had much positive coverage from the media besides its sales numbers.

cgnobody said:
Blex said:
cgnobody said:

cool. btw, i really didn't mean to sound like a jerk but, what make sense and what often happens are never alike . especially in the states.

as they say, commen sense is not so commen.

alot of people are stupid and will continue to abuse our judical system as long as they continue to win.

do us all a fovor and become a lawyer to put a stop to this maddness. reclaim and enforce the idea that we are capable and responsable for all our actions.

oddly enough i will be going to college and majoring in criminal justice...but still not sure what to do with it.

but nah you didnt sound like a jerk