By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Manhunt 2 gets kiss of death, ESRB rates it AO

Hm.  good point.  Walmart and Toys R Us would be ones to do that.  Do we see Gamestop, Game Crazy, Target, Best Buy, etc doing that as well?

Around the Network

@JDWolf36

PS was always portraid as a console for older gamers. with games like twisted metal, resident evil, area 51, and metal gear they started, from console number one, as a system that incorporated many gamming age ranges.
unlike nintendo, who in the past have edited games (MK) to make them acceptable for their userbase

PSN ID: cgnobody

Xbox Gamertag: cgnobodyX

Wii friend code: 1445-3731-4393-2518

As far as Nintendo losing the family friendly image, I recommend that Nintendo have a press release pointing out that the Wii has parental controls, and that developers are free to make games for all audiences on their system and they dont condone children playing AO and M rated games.

clandecyon said:
Hm.  good point.  Walmart and Toys R Us would be ones to do that.  Do we see Gamestop, Game Crazy, Target, Best Buy, etc doing that as well?

if MHII still has the AO rating then no store will put it on the shelf.  Eventhough GS and EBgames will probably still sell it, you'll have to buy it online and have it shipped.  They've done in the past with games like Lesuire Suit Larry.  if taketwo wants to make a profit on this game they drop some of the excessive content and get it re-rated.

it works the same way in film.  when you want an R rating you'll re-cut the movie and get a second opinion.

PSN ID: cgnobody

Xbox Gamertag: cgnobodyX

Wii friend code: 1445-3731-4393-2518

My point cgnobody was more the sales of the individual systems based off their percieved image. While it is totally subjective I've known many parents to buy PS2 for their children simply based on the gaming selection and the word of mouth. It didn't matter that they the system had games like GTA because the bad press just made them more visiable to parents as games not to get their children while games like Ratchet and Clank and Kindom Hearts are what they really were buying the system for their kids for it didn't matter that it likely had the most M rated games out of any of the consoles in its generation.

Around the Network

Oh man, if Manhunt 2 doesn't get a mature rating, Nintendo wont allow it on the Wii.

"Games made for Nintendo systems enjoy a broad variety of styles, genres and ratings. These are some of the reasons our Wii and Nintendo DS systems appeal to such a broad range of people. But as with books, television and movies, different content is meant for different audiences. That's why the ESRB provides ratings to help consumers understand the content of a game before they purchase it. As stated on Nintendo.com, Nintendo does not allow any AO-rated content on its systems."

http://kotaku.com/gaming/original/nintendo-nixes-ao-manhunt-270741.php

IllegalPaladin said:
Oh man, if Manhunt 2 doesn't get a mature rating, Nintendo wont allow it on the Wii.

"Games made for Nintendo systems enjoy a broad variety of styles, genres and ratings. These are some of the reasons our Wii and Nintendo DS systems appeal to such a broad range of people. But as with books, television and movies, different content is meant for different audiences. That's why the ESRB provides ratings to help consumers understand the content of a game before they purchase it. As stated on Nintendo.com, Nintendo does not allow any AO-rated content on its systems."

http://kotaku.com/gaming/original/nintendo-nixes-ao-manhunt-270741.php

Ouch.  This basically means Manhunt 2 needs to be re-worked, unless the ESRB somehow changes its mind.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Before people go crazy bashing Nintendo, this has always been their policy, and I don't blame them. AO games have basically been sex games, along with a few uber-violent games if I remember correctly.

As one commenter on kotaku states,
"To be fair to Nintendo, they were okay with everything in this game up until it got an AO rating. It's not so much an objection to the content of the game, but the rating it received and the stimga attached to AO games. If Rockstar had been able to get an M for the game from the ERSB, Nintendo would still be in it."

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

I wouldn't be surprised if Sony banned the game as well.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM

:(
I really wanted to know how a game like manhunt would do
I think I would have bought it myself, it would have to have a good story though.
I was wondering if Nintendo would not allow it at all or will it just be banned in the US. Nintendo didn't react to the UK banning, so maybe they will publish it here in Europe. If published, I think we could get it here in Sweden pretty easy.
Does anyone know?