By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - What is the lowest realistic expectation for lifetime sales of Wii,PS3,360?

Rath said:
However GBallzack both FF13 and MGS4 are popular enough exclusives to matter. I realise this Im just claiming that they both 'might' be ported or have some of their thunder stolen by bad press about the PS3.

I think a 90M lowest estimate for the Wii is ridiculous though =$, each to their own I guess.

I suppose you're right, I honestly forgot we were suppossed to put the lowest and I just put what I thought they would probably be. Silly mistake on my part.

FF13 and MGS4 may indeed pull that weight, but its hard to say. Obviously there is the threat of each being ported (though more so realistically for MGS4 than FF) and obviously there is the chance they won't convince the casual consumer to buy a PS3, but they're still an x-factor to be played. Again though MGS has been a declining franchise, This title obviously holds more appeal than MGS3 with its 3+ years of hype now, but I doubt it will do better than MGS2 or MGS. FF13, it all depends really, it'll probably be huge in Japan, possibly the straw that break's the camel's back for America's interest in a franchise that has irritated them with continuing and self admitingly lazy business practices. I think for many casual gamers FF has lost its luster and has become visually gosh and thematically trite with the same emo/goth/punk style recycled with each game. FF is also a moderately declining franchise as well though obviously still very strong in Japan. Too many factors to weigh now to be sure, but I don't see them making too great a difference in my opinion.

Around the Network

You would be correct if those were the only two system sellers for the ps3. But they aren't. I'm incredibly curious to see how they'll sell though. If they don't do well then I'll have to agree that Sony's pretty much screwed. If they do well however it pretty much guarantees that ps3 will either sell the most or be a close second.
Btw if all that mattered was the money MS would have sold hundreds of millions of the xbox :/

Again Safiir I can't see too many of the exclusives for any of the big three appealing to anyone not already enthused with or in ownership of that console itself or all three.

I would argue that those are the only two PS3 exclusives which will have a significant appeal to the public rather than those already owning a PS3 or those who have already decided to buy one. Everything else may sell a few systems but I doubt they will be big enough to have any significant impact on the generation.

Then I'll have to ask you again. What is that the people want in a console? If it's not games then what is it?

Around the Network

You forget GT5...

Rath said:
I would argue that those are the only two PS3 exclusives which will have a significant appeal to the public rather than those already owning a PS3 or those who have already decided to buy one. Everything else may sell a few systems but I doubt they will be big enough to have any significant impact on the generation.

True, they do have the most notoriety of the PS3's exclusives (outside of course God of War 3). And outside of circles of enthused PS3 owners most PS3 exclusives go unknown, unoticed, uninvestigated or uncared unless they're a previously establish franchise from the PS2.

@ Safiir: you´d be suprised, lots of kids just want what everybody else wants, other people just want the newest best piece of tech, then others get what the parents chose, sure games are the Nr.1 factor but there are many others, price is a big one too, if you pay more than 200$-300$ you feel like you have to play alot to justify the purchase

Safiir said:
Then I'll have to ask you again. What is that the people want in a console? If it's not games then what is it?

This generation? From the casual consumer's perspective?...

1. Affordability.

2. Innovation/Novelty/Fun. (Motion control, Blu-Ray, HD, Online, etc)

3. Games.

4. Company.

For the casual consumer who knows little or nothing of upcomming exclusives or what games may or may not be ported or appear on their console eventually they first look at the one factor that is inarguable. Price. Secondly they look at these three new consoles and decide which is the most appealing to what they want in what the consoles have to offer uniquely, assuming Price isn't too great a deturant. It's a rarity a casual consumer is terribly influenced by games, most of the time they can nonchalantly part with a game they know is good but not on the console they're considering, not being hardcore gamers they can deal without having all the must have games of the generation. The last factor is the company itself, depending on how the consumer sees each of the three companies, that could influence their opinion of the console's future as well.

OriGin said:
You forget GT5...

Your right, I did. Still, im not sure if thats a system seller or merely a must have for console owners - but maybe thats just because I dont like racing games =P.

@Safiir. Hype, price and popularity. Games are up there with those but not alone among them, and both the 360 and the Wii have exclusives that much the PS3's lineup, at least in my opinion. Halo3 alone for the 360 is huge considering it is the single biggest FPS on the market and the Wii has the 'holy trinity' of MP:C, SMG and SSBB.