By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - What is the lowest realistic expectation for lifetime sales of Wii,PS3,360?

So Rath you're saying that the people will pretty much ignore all of the ps3 exclusives?

And again you're taking as a given that wii will get the most 3rd party support which is in no way a certainty. It could get it but it might end up with only good nintendo games and bad ports. There's absolutely no way for anyone to know that. And that's why a minimum number like 50+ for the wii is ridiculous. 

Around the Network
Safiir said:

So Rath you're saying that the people will pretty much ignore all of the ps3 exclusives?

And again you're taking as a given that wii will get the most 3rd party support which is in no way a certainty. It could get it but it might end up with only good nintendo games and bad ports. There's absolutely no way for anyone to know that. And that's why a minimum number like 50+ for the wii is ridiculous.

No I think that a worst case scenario will have people not paying much attention to the PS3's exclusives simply because it cant get enough media time.

The Wii however has momentum, and momentum isnt easily lost in this industry. No matter if the Nintendo doesnt get any more large games than are already announced I think it will still get at least 60M.

Not necessarly but of course you could be right. Even on Nintendo games alone it could make it to 60 mil with it's price.

I don't really see how it can happen for the ps3 to not get enough media time. I mean we're talking about Sony here. It's a huge corporation. I find it hard to believe that they won't have enough money to buy enough media time. Not to mention all the advertisements. 

Safiir said:

Not necessarly but of course you could be right. Even on Nintendo games alone it could make it to 60 mil with it's price.

I don't really see how it can happen for the ps3 to not get enough media time. I mean we're talking about Sony here. It's a huge corporation. I find it hard to believe that they won't have enough money to buy enough media time. Not to mention all the advertisements.

What I mean is that the PS3 has got a lot of bad press lately, if that press stays bad and its big exclusives dont review well or even worse get ported to the 360, what happens to its sales?I stick by my lowest possible estimates even though they may seem slightly extreme. 

Wii = 90m

360=41m

PS3=23m

a slopping guestimate.

@Safiir, exclusives only really matter to those who will either buy a PS3 regardless or indecisive cross platform gamers. While these two groups have always been significant in their own way, they have always still been the minority. Once a console becomes undesireable to the typical consumer, its exclusives rarely matter (unless titles such as Goldeneye or Halo convince them otherwise), the Gamecube for example was one such console. RE4 was an exclusive when it was released for the GC but that failed to garner any stronger a following for the console and ultimately ended up becomming a PS2 port to try and earn back the investment for Capcom. Such games as Eternal Darkness, Resident Evil 0, Super Smash Bros Melee, Windwaker and the rest of the GC's exclusives mattered little to those where weren't already enticed by the console. You can claim that the PS3 has more worthwhile exclusives or that those said exclusives are getting more notice from the consumer than the Gamecube's did but that only seems to be from the standpoint of people who already own a PS3. From the standpoint of the average consumer, all PS3 games look equally as beautiful and equally moot in lieu of the fact that they either can justify such a console or simply have no interest in it. In the end exclusives do little more than entice those already on that franchise's boat.

Around the Network

I think the press is already getting better for the ps3 but I don't really follow it that closely. Can anyone confirm it? And the ps3's biggest exclusives will remain excluvises. I'm talking about gt, mgs, ff13/vs13, possibly kh3, ratchet and clank, jak and daxter, killzone, everybody's golf, socom, getaway, gow3 (if indeed it comes out), sly cooper and all the new first party IPs. I mean these are all SOLID exclusives. I agree that with the current price only hardcore gamers will buy a ps3 because of these games but if Sony times it's price cuts correctly I don't see how they'll fail :/

Edit: Gballzack, then what are you saying? Price is all that matters?

However GBallzack both FF13 and MGS4 are popular enough exclusives to matter. I realise this Im just claiming that they both 'might' be ported or have some of their thunder stolen by bad press about the PS3.

I think a 90M lowest estimate for the Wii is ridiculous though =$, each to their own I guess.

Edit: There is a good deal of rumour about FF13 and I think MGS4, people think it could end up being ported if the PS3 doesnt have enough of the market to recoup their losses. I think its unlikely, but we are talking worst case here.

Nintendo's big IP's are first party so they couldnt be hit by such a bombshell.

AFAIK these rumours are totally unfounded. I would rather think Konami and Square will delay their release in order to get a bigger userbase than to make them multiplat. I mean that would be suicidal for Sony to not pay them enough for full exclusivity :/

Safiir said:
AFAIK these rumours are totally unfounded. I would rather think Konami and Square will delay their release in order to get a bigger userbase than to make them multiplat. I mean that would be suicidal for Sony to not pay them enough for full exclusivity :/

Its circular, if they dont release the games the userbase doesnt get big, if the userbase isnt big they wont release their games. I think there is a possibility of one or either going multiplat, remember MS has deeper pockets than Sony.

OriGin said:

WOW... people are really harsh on their estimations for the PS3... I can't believe people think it will sell so poorly over it's entire life.

most of us don´t think it will do that bad (I hope), it´s just that with beeing a year late compared to the XBox360 and not having a great start there are more things that can go wrong, if more things go wrong it won´t have such a long lifetime, this will not happen unless lots and lots of things go horribly wrong, but when people start seeing that a system is going down they will avoid it like ____(insert metaphor here, its early give me a break).

on a side note: I also think some Wii predictions are to high but since it has the price and the 1st party games gooing for it Nintend can even ride a dying horse for a long time.