By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Virtua Fighter 5 bombs in Japan - first day sales!!

32 000 units in one day isnt so bad ....that would mean some 220 000 games in a week.Its a pity it has been released halfway thorough the week that way it wont have so strong sales in 2 weeks of sales datas correspondig to its first week out .....

Around the Network

What kind of a headline is this? Was there a benchmark that needed to be set? What was that benchmark number? Japans VG system sales have been horrible for the past 3 weeks; here are the latest figures: - DS Lite: 146,073 48,453 (24.91%) - Wii: 65,740 18,014 (21.51%) - PSP: 31,216 4,484 (12.56%) - PS3: 18,727 1,269 (6.35%) - PS2: 17,540 3,455 (16.46%) - Xbox 360: 6,130 1,235 (16.77%) - Game Boy Micro: 1,050 127 (10.79%) - GBA SP: 724 299 (29.23%) - Gamecube: 306 41 (11.82%) - DS Phat: 119 37 (45.12%) - GBA: 28 6 (17.65%) Regardless of the constant bias being shown by bloggers and gaming websites toward particular videogame and software companies who support them, I will be first in line when Virtua Fighter 5 hits here in the USA.

Lol, Ipost this here then: "Virtua Fighter 5's Japanese debut, as predicted, met with an enthusiastic reception from series fans, and resulted in a boost in PS3 hardware sales for the week. The game also managed to best established hits like Resistance: Fall of Man and MotorStorm in weekly sales numbers in its first week of release. Already Japanese gamers are turning an eye to the future, however, as the upcoming Gundam Musou is currently the most popular PlayStation 3 title at Amazon.co.jp, and Gundam fans are already feverishly anticipating its release next month." http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=12701 Different picture painted by some huh? To put in comparison Blue Dragon sold 83,750 and Zelda sold 147,750 in a week. EDIT: and if those are the top sales for the day why is it considered a bomb being the top of the list?

Games make me happy! PSN ID: Staticneuron Gamertag: Staticneuron Wii Code: Static Wii - 3055 0871 5802 1723

Diomedes1976 said: 32 000 units in one day isnt so bad ....that would mean some 220 000 games in a week.Its a pity it has been released halfway thorough the week that way it wont have so strong sales in 2 weeks of sales datas correspondig to its first week out .....
Thats not how sales in Japan work Diomedes. Usually the first day sales are the bulk of the sales for the week. So it has only sold 32,000 in the first day. It would be lucky to hit 40,000 for the week. For example of the 83,750 copies that Blue Dragon sold its first week 72,000 units were sold on the first day.

Your right. Its rough to use those two as a comparison for weekly sales. The majority of Blue dragon sales came through preorders and the 139,011 zelda sold on first day was because the wii was just launched and I am sure that was the top game on many peoples list. But what is a constant that games launched during the week (with the exception of a few large ones like Dragonquest) sell less than they would on the weekend.

Games make me happy! PSN ID: Staticneuron Gamertag: Staticneuron Wii Code: Static Wii - 3055 0871 5802 1723

Around the Network

I reserved the VF arcade stick from Playasia and recently recieved an E-mail stating that sega messed up production and it'll be a one to two week wait.

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

Not to sound like a rampant fanboy but........... HEHEHE. Sony is bending over and getting some Nintendo and MS lovin' right about now. 35000 copies - Isn't that what DOAX2 sold its first day? On a system that had less than half the user basis? Although I am sure that Sony will end up doing decent, 10m units of PS3s sold over the next 3-4 years might be difficult. The fact is, unlike the Wii and even 360 in Japan, good titles are doing atrocious. The attach ratio is horrid (somewhere in the area of 1.5, versus 2.1 for the Wii and 2.9ish for the 360). I think LOZ and BD are perfect comparisons. LoZ is a mediocre franchise in Japan (far better in US and Europe), but still sold well. BD is a game that has created a small (but growing) market for the 360 in Japan. The big question: Will the PS3 do over 40k this week in sales? Something tells me it might get around 35k units sold this week. Quick Summary of why this happened: Japaneese kiddos are too poor to buy the POS3 and games. 20k units of PS3s are good per week for the price, but its forcing software titles to do poorly. Atleast the 360 was remotely affordable.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

This might be an over exageration but I had to post it Staff : " I've never seen such thing. Not a single copy sold through out the whole day. http://www.akibablog.net/archives/2007/02/virtuafighter5_070209.html saying VF5 bombed doesn't sound far from the truth

crappy old school NES games are more entertaining than next-gen games.

Staff : " I've never seen such thing. Not a single copy sold through out the whole day.
Japaneese still buying more than 3000 copies of RFOM every week and did'n buy "a single copy" of VF5 in whole day?

How did it Bomb? It was the best selling game? And the user install base is only 650,000 PS3s? Uhuh. I smell fanboy, oh wait he's a Wii fan. http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=12701 Better article.