By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Article: Hating on the casuals

Ha Ha Ron Jeremy in Super Hornio Brothers!!!!

Remember your history or you are doomed to repeat it.

Viacom Boycott

Around the Network

They all seems jealous of the sucsess of the Wii.

Oh and this is mario in HD:

http://boundless.fileburst.com/mario.html

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

Naum said:
They all seems jealous of the sucsess of the Wii.

Oh and this is mario in HD:

http://boundless.fileburst.com/mario.html

I think I won't be able to sleep tonight.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

ItsaMii said:
What I hate about this is the way he tell us all this crap with a straight face. How can someone be an elitist and list MGS and FF? Even worse, saying that the HD duo are for those who demand more of their games. Yes, much more. Like a 50 million budget more for a sub 8 hour campaign.
A elitist gamer would be playing games like Boom Blox, Okami and No More Heroes right now, none of them available on the HD consoles. It is like a fan of Smallville crying about the amount of garbage on the TV.

@Boled:  Based on your post and the above posters, I completely agree with that statement.

Another thing I forgot: when did shitty (casual) games sold so well to threaten the manchildren (hardcore) games? 97% of the good selling "casual" games are made by Nintendo and they are far from shitty. Sure Carnival games and RRR sold very well, but what if they are good (from a new gamer perspective) games. Most of these games are also cheaper than the full retail price.
What makes Rockband cool and WiiFit retarded? I dislike both games anyways.

Satan said:

"You are for ever angry, all you care about is intelligence, but I repeat again that I would give away all this superstellar life, all the ranks and honours, simply to be transformed into the soul of a merchant's wife weighing eighteen stone and set candles at God's shrine."

Around the Network

If I really wanted to see every damn leaf on a tree moving in the wind I would go outside, I don't need that kind of stuff in games.

I don't want reallistic games if we all did Super Mario Galaxy wouldn't be possible.

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

"Ah, but those games sell, so you have no right to complain," says the smug bastard who is so proud of himself for "getting" what casual games are all about and feels special because he's more progressive than everyone else. You know what though? Fuck. Him. "

*BEEPBEEPBEEPBEEPBRRRREEEEEP!!!*

Warning: Stealth Malstrom Burn Detected. Initiate Ignoring Sequence Now.

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."
Words Of Wisdom said:

Let's take a step back.

Look at your list.  How many of those "Hard-Core" games are on the Wii?  Why did you not list any of the Wii's "Hard-Core" games?  Anywho, that was an aside.  You don't have to answer those questions as they're rhetorical (something for you to think about at any rate).

The problem here is partially real but also partially perception.  Massive efforts are selling, but not at the levels that people are seeing the so-called "shitty games" selling at.  It doesn't matter whether you call yourself "Casual," "Hard-Core," or a rutabega, you get equally distressed when games you like are not meeting your expectations.  You become even more distressed when games you dislike appear to be surpassing your expectations.  You also begin to worry that if the people making decisions about developer resources are seeing the same thing you are (as Ubisoft proves), that the things you like will become less common in the future.  Putting aside the idiotic labels, these are valid concerns.

None of that is new however.  Great games have gone unnoticed in the past.  The difference this generation brings is that there are now labels for things people don't like and things they do:  Casual and Hard-core.  Nothing has changed but people can now say "I hate that casual crap" in a blanket (often ignorant) statement and condemn a lot of games they don't like (as well as some they probably would).

The article writer isn't succeeding here because his taste is the end-all-be-all as the people above are complaining about.  The writer is succeeding because he is looking past the pointless labels.

First off, I left the Core Wii games released this year (Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Okami, No More Heroes, and Mario Kart Wii) on purpose because the anti-casual sentiment is primarily caried by people who have never played the Wii and would (by default) discount any Wii titles ...

The fact of the matter is the reason why "shitty" games are selling so well on the Wii is the same reason why Nintendo games are selling so well; most third party publishers completely ignored the Wii and this created a vaccuume which had to be filled by something. We all know that high quality titles in well known franchises that are marketed heavily sell well regardless of the platform; the vast majority of titles which fit this description were published by Nintendo, and without competition Nintendo dominated and titles that had some reason to fill the void that was left over did so.

RolStoppable said:
ItsaMii said:
Another thing I forgot: when did shitty (casual) games sold so well to threaten the manchildren (hardcore) games? 97% of the good selling "casual" games are made by Nintendo and they are far from shitty. Sure Carnival games and RRR sold very well, but what if they are good (from a new gamer perspective) games. Most of these games are also cheaper than the full retail price.
What makes Rockband cool and WiiFit retarded? I dislike both games anyways.

The system these games originated on. The simplest answer is often also the correct answer.

A way to test that theory is to look at the last gen and ask whether PS2 "hardcore gamers" complained a lot when Singstar was released. I don't know the answer, but there's the question.

EDIT - also important is to see whether GC/Xbox owners bitched much about Singstar too.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

RolStoppable said:
Desroko said:
NJ5 said:

The problem this generation is that the hardcore gamers feel to be drastically outnumbered. In previous generations a lot of gamers were sharing their love for a particular console, although it wasn't for exactly the same reasons. Then along comes the Wii and suddenly a shift occurs which is apparently hard to understand for a lot of hardcore gamers.

They try to explain it with "most Wii owners are new to gaming" and hope that 100m PS2/Xbox owners are still sitting there only waiting for the PS3/360 to come down in price before they upgrade. But in reality, the core gamers are migrating to the Wii because they see great value and potential for new gaming experiences on Nintendo's system.

Even that is hard to understand for most hardcore gamers though. From their point of view new gaming experiences mean better graphics, better AI and more realism. They are really bitter about the Wii's success because it goes against their world view.

I agree with most of this, but I think the root of the matter is that the snobcore are smart enough to realize what's happening: daddy's got a new kid, so the they're no longer gaming's only little princess.

That sound harsher than I intended, but I think it holds true nonetheless. They've said it outright themselves several times: they have a problem with casual gaming because they fear more and more developers will start making games that appeal to people beyond their narrow niche. The fact that the current arms race is unsustainable, and that it's driving the same developers they count on out of business doesn't mean squat to them.  Your last paragraph in particular nailed that.

So no, I actually think that the snobcore understand what's going on perfectly fine. And that's why they're afraid.