By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Article: Hating on the casuals

exindguy said:
I think the problem here is that this guy's definition of hardcore isn't exactly what most of us consider hardcore.

For example, where were the 'hardcore' gamers like him when Okami was fading into oblivion? Or Psychonauts? Or Dewy's Adventure? Or WarTech? Or Culdcept? Or Viva Pinata? Or Zak & Wiki? Or Blastworks? Or a billion other relatively-neglected (at least compared to the MGS', FFs', Halos', GTAs' et al that he cites as being the titles the 'hardcore' graze upon) games since the advent of the NES?

Oh, right: he was playing his eleventy-billionth Halo 3 match with the other several million, neglected, 'hardcore' gamers. It's amazing he found time to disconnect from the Matrix to come down and throw stones at the mother that spent 30 bucks for Carnival Games, because she thought it might be fun to play with her kids (and didn't cost twice as much, plus a subscription to an online gaming service)--what a bitch. Doesn't she realize that she's opressing the 'hardcore' by supporting such garbage? The nerve!

Can we donate VG$? I know it's meaningless, but "QFT" isn't nearly a strong enough gesture.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
exindguy said:
I think the problem here is that this guy's definition of hardcore isn't exactly what most of us consider hardcore.

For example, where were the 'hardcore' gamers like him when Okami was fading into oblivion? Or Psychonauts? Or Dewy's Adventure? Or WarTech? Or Culdcept? Or Viva Pinata? Or Zak & Wiki? Or Blastworks? Or a billion other relatively-neglected (at least compared to the MGS', FFs', Halos', GTAs' et al that he cites as being the titles the 'hardcore' graze upon) games since the advent of the NES?

Oh, right: he was playing his eleventy-billionth Halo 3 match with the other several million, neglected, 'hardcore' gamers. It's amazing he found time to disconnect from the Matrix to come down and throw stones at the mother that spent 30 bucks for Carnival Games, because she thought it might be fun to play with her kids (and didn't cost twice as much, plus a subscription to an online gaming service)--what a bitch. Doesn't she realize that she's opressing the 'hardcore' by supporting such garbage? The nerve!

I think that my theory about the split of hardcore and core gamers is quite good. It would explain why the self proclaimed hardcore gamers didn't buy games like Okami, Psychonauts etc.

Can you elaborate? I've always thought that casual/hardcore is too simple, and doesn't adequately represent the majority of gamers, the mainstream.

RolStoppable said:

I think that my theory about the split of hardcore and core gamers is quite good. It would explain why the self proclaimed hardcore gamers didn't buy games like Okami, Psychonauts etc.

Yeah, your post was also good. The graphics whores have definitely come out of the woodwork this gen... As a long-time PC gamer, I think they should buy a PC instead of a console... But then they'd have the problem that so-called casual games sell even better on the PC (Bejeweled anyone?).

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

NJ5 said:
RolStoppable said:

Yeah, your post was also good. The graphics whores have definitely come out of the woodwork this gen... As a long-time PC gamer, I think they should buy a PC instead of a console... But then they'd have the problem that so-called casual games sell even better on the PC (Bejeweled anyone?).

They were always there, but the fact that one company actually had the nerve to opt out of the arms race has really set them off.

But if anything, I think their arguments were even more pointless and vicious when the graphical capabilities were more even. I remember kids laughing at Genesis owners because Sega didn't have Mode 7, if you can believe that.

NJ5 said:
RolStoppable said:

The graphics whores have definitely come out of the woodwork this gen...

"I want to see Mega Man 9 in HD!"

Around the Network
noname2200 said:
NJ5 said:
RolStoppable said:

You ever see the mock-ups of what a photorealistic Mario would look like? It really puts things in perspective.

Desroko said:
noname2200 said:
NJ5 said:
RolStoppable said:

You ever see the mock-ups of what a photorealistic Mario would look like? It really puts things in perspective.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Now here is something I was not expecting to see. I read the text and thought that this guy is a ps360 owner, but no. He has a wii, actually he is a nintendo fan. I feel somewhat shocked that I can agree with one. :)

All the respect, guys like you show us that not all the wii owners are the same.

But really, there will be good games for you someday. As someone posted before, that casual market will be saturated and of course, not all developers are aiming towards that crowd. I was a little worried when I owned a wii, but I think you don't have to be since you like nintendo games. They will (or at least should) keep you occupied as long as it will take to get good 3rd party games for wii. They will come, some day. I gave up, but that was just because I dislike nintendo games.

There is no reason to be ashamed of being casual hater, I am propably the worst case on these forums and I feel good about it. :D There are too many things to quote, so I have to say once more. I could not agree more on EVERYTHING you said.

edit:

Blah, what was I thinking.

What I hate about this is the way he tell us all this crap with a straight face. How can someone be an elitist and list MGS and FF? Even worse, saying that the HD duo are for those who demand more of their games. Yes, much more. Like a 50 million budget more for a sub 8 hour campaign.
A elitist gamer would be playing games like Boom Blox, Okami and No More Heroes right now, none of them available on the HD consoles. It is like a fan of Smallville crying about the amount of garbage on the TV.

Satan said:

"You are for ever angry, all you care about is intelligence, but I repeat again that I would give away all this superstellar life, all the ranks and honours, simply to be transformed into the soul of a merchant's wife weighing eighteen stone and set candles at God's shrine."

I hate to admit it but the author of that article read my mind lol.

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler