By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Article: Hating on the casuals

LOL, I was looking throught the comments and spotted this gem:

'The majority of people are fucking stupid and they have no taste.'

True words, sadly. I pity the people who buy the wii just for the fucking sports games, and then say after finishing the games.

'OOOOH, look at me, I'm a gamer now!!!!!'

(...)
(it goes on)

The highlight is of course the bolded part. Did anyone actually ever say something like that?

Another comment from me would be - how the f*** does one finish Wii Sports?

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network

Shit games have always outsold good games though...

So i really don't get it.

The best selling games of last generation were GTA games anf FF games.

Dumbed down for the masses crapfests.

HappySqurriel said:

Someone want to get the Waahhhmbulance ...

So far this year "Hard-Core" gamers have only received Grand Theft Auto 4, Metal Gear Solid 4, Mass Effect, Burnout Paradise, Grid, Battlefield: Bad Company, Devil May Cry 4, Condemned 2, Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Vegas 2, Age of Conana: Hyborian Adventures, Gran Turismo 5 Prologue, Lost Odyssey, Frontlines: Fuel of War, Pirates of the Burning Sea, The Club, Culdcept SAGA, and Assult Heroes 2 for HD consoles or the PC. Complaining that some other group gets attention is just pathetic.

Let's take a step back.

Look at your list.  How many of those "Hard-Core" games are on the Wii?  Why did you not list any of the Wii's "Hard-Core" games?  Anywho, that was an aside.  You don't have to answer those questions as they're rhetorical (something for you to think about at any rate).

The problem here is partially real but also partially perception.  Massive efforts are selling, but not at the levels that people are seeing the so-called "shitty games" selling at.  It doesn't matter whether you call yourself "Casual," "Hard-Core," or a rutabega, you get equally distressed when games you like are not meeting your expectations.  You become even more distressed when games you dislike appear to be surpassing your expectations.  You also begin to worry that if the people making decisions about developer resources are seeing the same thing you are (as Ubisoft proves), that the things you like will become less common in the future.  Putting aside the idiotic labels, these are valid concerns.

None of that is new however.  Great games have gone unnoticed in the past.  The difference this generation brings is that there are now labels for things people don't like and things they do:  Casual and Hard-core.  Nothing has changed but people can now say "I hate that casual crap" in a blanket (often ignorant) statement and condemn a lot of games they don't like (as well as some they probably would).

The article writer isn't succeeding here because his taste is the end-all-be-all as the people above are complaining about.  The writer is succeeding because he is looking past the pointless labels.

NJ5 said:

LOL, I was looking throught the comments and spotted this gem:

'The majority of people are fucking stupid and they have no taste.'

True words, sadly. I pity the people who buy the wii just for the fucking sports games, and then say after finishing the games.

'OOOOH, look at me, I'm a gamer now!!!!!'

(...)
(it goes on)

1)The highlight is of course the bolded part. Did anyone actually ever say something like that?

2)Another comment from me would be - how the f*** does one finish Wii Sports?

1)  Hmmz  it is like your grandmother who bought a mobile phone plays a game on it and then tells you that she also play games.  Never heard that?

) Hmmz he is talking about sports games, I guess he mean other games like PES.   Well you can say you finished them if you win the World cup or the CL league.

@konnichiwa:

1) Well, I guess she'd be right then. But I bet she wouldn't say it with a smug attitude as presented in that comment. A gamer is someone who play games...

2) That could be what the post was talking about, but somehow I think he was referring to the bundled game... Whatever, the point was just to have a laugh.

Around the Network

@ NJ5: Technically, I'd consider the maximum scores and platinum medals in wiisports as "finishing wii sports"

noname2200 said:
famousringo said:
Ah, nerd rage. It always cracks me up.

Read the comments...

Oh, I am. And I'm trying not to laugh so hard that my co-workers have me committed.

There's the guy who thinks the Wii should have been more like the DS (wha?), and the extemely angry Best Buy employee who can't give parents advice on buying Wii games, and the guy who thinks a gaming crash will destroy gamers but not game makers (who will presumably only sell games to non-gamers at that point).

And they're all hilarious!

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

@papflesje: Well, I'd say anyone who reaches that level for all the sports deserves to call himself a gamer, and can definitely move on to other games in order to become an outraged "hardcore" gamer later on ;)

I think the problem here is that this guy's definition of hardcore isn't exactly what most of us consider hardcore.

For example, where were the 'hardcore' gamers like him when Okami was fading into oblivion? Or Psychonauts? Or Dewy's Adventure? Or WarTech? Or Culdcept? Or Viva Pinata? Or Zak & Wiki? Or Blastworks? Or a billion other relatively-neglected (at least compared to the MGS', FFs', Halos', GTAs' et al that he cites as being the titles the 'hardcore' graze upon) games since the advent of the NES?

Oh, right: he was playing his eleventy-billionth Halo 3 match with the other several million, neglected, 'hardcore' gamers. It's amazing he found time to disconnect from the Matrix to come down and throw stones at the mother that spent 30 bucks for Carnival Games, because she thought it might be fun to play with her kids (and didn't cost twice as much, plus a subscription to an online gaming service)--what a bitch. Doesn't she realize that she's opressing the 'hardcore' by supporting such garbage? The nerve!

exindguy said:
I think the problem here is that this guy's definition of hardcore isn't exactly what most of us consider hardcore.

For example, where were the 'hardcore' gamers like him when Okami was fading into oblivion? Or Psychonauts? Or Dewy's Adventure? Or WarTech? Or Culdcept? Or Viva Pinata? Or Zak & Wiki? Or Blastworks? Or a billion other relatively-neglected (at least compared to the MGS', FFs', Halos', GTAs' et al that he cites as being the titles the 'hardcore' graze upon) games since the advent of the NES?

Oh, right: he was playing his eleventy-billionth Halo 3 match with the other several million, neglected, 'hardcore' gamers. It's amazing he found time to disconnect from the Matrix to come down and throw stones at the mother that spent 30 bucks for Carnival Games, because she thought it might be fun to play with her kids (and didn't cost twice as much, plus a subscription to an online gaming service)--what a bitch. Doesn't she realize that she's opressing the 'hardcore' by supporting such garbage? The nerve!

Post of the thread so far ;)