By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - I'm Gett'n me a Mac Book!

KohlyKohl said:
Honestly I ask why you are buying a mac instead of a Linux laptop?

Macs are not pricey that is just something people use to try and dissuade others from buying a Mac. In reality there have been many articles showing Macs with the same setup costing less than their PC counterparts.

Why Linux? 

Well, in stof's case, I think I can answer for him: He simply prefers how Macs work over Wintels because he was brought up with Macs, and if there is one thing I've always noticed, it's that people who are well-versed with Macs hate the way Windows works, and people well-versed with Windows hate the way Macs work.

Around the Network

Do you have any relative or friends that are students? The low-end Macbook Pro is only $1999CDN for students, and comes with a free 4GB Nano after Apples' Mail-in-rebate. Sell the Nano for $200 off, brings that down to $1799 ignoring taxes.

The MBP is all around a much better notebook, and comes with a real video card - 128MB Nvidia 8600M GT. If you have a copy of Windows, use boot camp to dual boot and it becomes a very capable gaming notebook. It weighs only 0.2lb more than the Macbook despite the much larger screen.

Definitely not worth it for the ram upgrade (it usually never is from the OEM). The Macbooks use the same DDR2-667 sodimms as everyone else, you could pick up 2x1GB sticks for under $80CDN (link)

your mother said:

Why Linux?

Well, in stof's case, I think I can answer for him: He simply prefers how Macs work over Wintels because he was brought up with Macs, and if there is one thing I've always noticed, it's that people who are well-versed with Macs hate the way Windows works, and people well-versed with Windows hate the way Macs work.

I don't know, even though I grew up with a mac at home, I still used windows at friends houses and school, and I have spent the last 6 years on windows... It just doesn't... It's not... I've learned how to use it quote efficiently, but I still haven't learned to like it.  On the other hand, I know several people who have taken the mac plunge (all Macbooks, by the way) and after a few weeks of getting used to Mac OS, they really like the system a lot more than windows.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

i'm yearning for a mac too... but only since they switched over to the intel chips since now it's possible to install windows on them. so i can make it triple-boot linux, windows and mac os... running windows on mac, i just think that's the coolest thing. utility-wise, no reason for me to get a mac, but i do like their monitors a lot.

eventuallymy wife would probably get one. she's been getting my hand-me-downs in laptops...

the Wii is an epidemic.

stof said:
your mother said:

Why Linux?

I don't know, even though I grew up with a mac at home, I still used windows at friends houses and school, and I have spent the last 6 years on windows... It just doesn't... It's not... I've learned how to use it quote efficiently, but I still haven't learned to like it. On the other hand, I know several people who have taken the mac plunge (all Macbooks, by the way) and after a few weeks of getting used to Mac OS, they really like the system a lot more than windows.

There will always be exceptions to the rule - I know of some people who are exactly the opposite.

Around the Network
stof said:
Blue3 said:

You having a blonde monent arent you. macs suck cant even play games, weaker then a PC yet more expensive.

PS3 costs alot but it also does alot and is the most powerfull, but i guess thats lost on you.

Blue, your so silly. It's not enough that you constantly flame and criticize the Wii, now you're going into threads like this with such constructive nuggets as "macs suck" You truly are on a quest to get banned. I wish you luck, and look forward to helping you attain that goal.

I obviously don't want it for gaming, it's a mac. It doesn't get many games.

Actually, a lot of my favourite games are for the Mac, but they're older games.

not surprising, i ask a question he gets his panties in a bunch (over somethign NOt directed at him) i anwser.  You bitch about me, Go bias!

Wow how can you possibly like Macs? That means you must be different than me or something. Thats weird. I thought everyone liked windows because you get free software (viruses) from all your friends and it even has a quick-shutdown function (crashing), not to mention Vista is awesome (its not).

I'm typing this from a macbook pro, soo...

Don't buy the 1gb of RAM from Apple as its overpriced. Instead, buy 1gb ram from newegg for considerably less. For the MBP apple uses Crucial brand RAM, so I was able to get the exact same stick of ram for $100 less. Research what type of RAM the MB is currently using, or just wait till you have it in your hands and look at the type. And I dont know how hard it is to install in the MB, but the MBP was easy as pie.

#2. You won't be able to run many games with integrated graphics, especially current ones. However, I do beleive that card is the lowest spec that supports aero in vista - for what its worth. Plus some external graphics cards for laptops are starting to come onto the market, so that may be an alternative worth looking at.

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

lol sorry. I have 1gb of memory and I feel that is enough, but if you can afford the 2gb then go for it.

i'm not really sure about the 2nd question, though. sorry

Hardcore gaming is a bubble economy blown up by Microsoft's $7 $6 billion losses.