By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - I'm Gett'n me a Mac Book!

Well The darndest thing occured today.

It seems that I will be getting myself a Mac Book. Take that you six year old PC desktop! However, I need to figure out exactly what I want first. So I thought I'd toss out one or two questions to those in the know.

First question is in regards to memory. 1GB (two SO-DIMMs) option: Up to 2GB. Is that extra gig worth it for 200? I'm sure I'll use the computer for all sorts of stuff, but I'm not a graphic designer or anything like that. If it is, then I'll get the white book with 120 Gig hardrive for 1,449 and kick in the extra 200 for that Gig. If not, then I'll put the money into the black book with the 160 hardrive for 1,649

Secondly: When those few cherished games come down the pike, will I be able to play them with this "Intel GMA 950 graphics processor with 64MB of DDR2 SDRAM shared with main memory"? Not that it really matters, as That's what I get either way. Just curious is all.

P.S. All prices are Canadian... which come to think of it really should be a lot closer to U.S. prices right now... damn we get ripped!

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

Around the Network

Why you getting a mac, they are so damn pricey.

Blue3 said:

Funny you, out of all people, should say that...

Isn't the PS3... pricey...?

(whatever will you say, Blue3? Can't wait to read your retort...)

stof said:

Well The darndest thing occured today.

It seems that I will be getting myself a Mac Book. Take that you six year old PC desktop! However, I need to figure out exactly what I want first. So I thought I'd toss out one or two questions to those in the know.

First question is in regards to memory. 1GB (two SO-DIMMs) option: Up to 2GB. Is that extra gig worth it for 200? I'm sure I'll use the computer for all sorts of stuff, but I'm not a graphic designer or anything like that. If it is, then I'll get the white book with 120 Gig hardrive for 1,449 and kick in the extra 200 for that Gig. If not, then I'll put the money into the black book with the 160 hardrive for 1,649

Secondly: When those few cherished games come down the pike, will I be able to play them with this "Intel GMA 950 graphics processor with 64MB of DDR2 SDRAM shared with main memory"? Not that it really matters, as That's what I get either way. Just curious is all.

P.S. All prices are Canadian... which come to think of it really should be a lot closer to U.S. prices right now... damn we get ripped!

No. And no.

dang...Macs are expensive...not sure why you're doing that to yourself...I could build a pretty kick ass gaming PC for that price...

anyway I'd help, but I don't know a thing about Macs to help... 

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Around the Network
your mother said:

No. And no.

So the 1 gig is good enough?

And yeah, Mac's are more expensive, but I know I'll have all the software I need on it (asside from stuff I can download), And well... I just prefer Macs. I used to say there were better because it's what I grew up on. Now I like them better because I really don't care much for Windows. Also, this wasn't my choice. It's a present, and they don't see the price as an issue, so I won't either. 

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

I would really recommend 2 gigs...1 gig is becoming the requirement nowadays...

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

your mother said:
Blue3 said:

Funny you, out of all people, should say that...

Isn't the PS3... pricey...?

(whatever will you say, Blue3? Can't wait to read your retort...)

You having a blonde monent arent you.  macs suck cant even play games, weaker then a PC yet more expensive.  

PS3 costs alot but it also does alot and is the most powerfull, but i guess thats lost on you.

stof said:
your mother said:

No. And no.

So the 1 gig is good enough?

And yeah, Mac's are more expensive, but I know I'll have all the software I need on it (asside from stuff I can download), And well... I just prefer Macs. I used to say there were better because it's what I grew up on. Now I like them better because I really don't care much for Windows. Also, this wasn't my choice. It's a present, and they don't see the price as an issue, so I won't either.

It's ample if you aren't in content creation. If all you do is surf the web, write some docs and... well... post on VGChartz, then 1GB is fine. 

Blue3 said:

You having a blonde monent arent you. macs suck cant even play games, weaker then a PC yet more expensive.

PS3 costs alot but it also does alot and is the most powerfull, but i guess thats lost on you.

Blue, your so silly. It's not enough that you constantly flame and criticize the Wii, now you're going into threads like this with such constructive nuggets as "macs suck"  You truly are on a quest to get banned. I wish you luck, and look forward to helping you attain that goal.

I obviously don't want it for gaming, it's a mac. It doesn't get many games.

Actually, a lot of my favourite games are for the Mac, but they're older games.