By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - JRPG's are overrated?!

Soriku said:
shio said:
Well, if you're a Story lover, then WRPGs are the best for you, since WRPGs have far superior stories than JRPGs.

Opinions, opinions...

alot of wrpg's do have awesome stories,have you played biowares games?

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

Around the Network

FF Tactics, Vagrant Story, Xenogears are 3 among many jRPGs with great stories.

brute said:
Soriku said:
shio said:
Well, if you're a Story lover, then WRPGs are the best for you, since WRPGs have far superior stories than JRPGs.

Opinions, opinions...

alot of wrpg's do have awesome stories,have you played biowares games?

Bioware indeed have great stories.  In fact, from my experience with Mass Effect, Bioware are better storytellers than game designers.  Even so, many WRPGs are guilty of having generic stories

^but still the ones that dont have em genereic have superb stories

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

No matter what you guys say Its still an opinion on which has a better story. If I wanted to I could think mario has the best story ever, doesn't make me wrong.

Around the Network
brute said:
^but still the ones that dont have em genereic have superb stories

I know.  I am just saying that WRPGs can have generic stories just as much as JRPGs can

sc94597 said:
No matter what you guys say Its still an opinion on which has a better story. If I wanted to I could think mario has the best story ever, doesn't make me wrong.

If anyone did think Mario had the best story, then they wouldn't know a good story if it hit them in their faces

In tems of story, there is no way for a universal statement of which one is best, WRPG or JRPG. For their aim is different and it all falls to personal opinion.

Stories in WRPGs are more world centric. Developers want to introduce the players more into the world, the locations, politics, social life, etc. Charecters often go the last position, the last element. In the majority of their games you feel that the game could have any character, with any appearance, for their influence in the story is minimal.

In JRPG's the stories are character centric. Their appearance, personality, past, relationships, etc. Putting the world in a second plane. You can understand the motives of the "bad guys" to the point of sympathize with them a little bit. The purpose is to make the playet identified with one of the game's characters.

They are very different. There is no better one for it all comes down to personal taste

Yeah but those WRPG's don't have Mickey Mouse so

KH >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>WRPG's nuff said.

Soriku mod off.

the_bloodwalker said:
In tems of story, there is no way for a universal statement of which one is best, WRPG or JRPG. For their aim is different and it all falls to personal opinion.

Stories in WRPGs are more world centric. Developers want to introduce the players more into the world, the locations, politics, social life, etc. Charecters often go the last position, the last element. In the majority of their games you feel that the game could have any character, with any appearance, for their influence in the story is minimal.

In JRPG's the stories are character centric. Their appearance, personality, past, relationships, etc. Putting the world in a second plane. You can understand the motives of the "bad guys" to the point of sympathize with them a little bit. The purpose is to make the playet identified with one of the game's characters.

They are very different. There is no better one for it all comes down to personal taste

That is a tough choice for me. I really like to know about the details of the world of an RPG. Yet at the same time, I like to play JRPGs so I can feel an attachment to the characters