By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - JRPG's are overrated?!

I tolerated DQ: Swords because the story was pretty good (I liked the characters) and because my skill factored into my success.

It used an outdated concept for waggle which didn't work as well as hoped, but it was still a fun game and worth finishing, even though I did grind ever so slightly to boost my stats for the final boss fight (my healer couldn't survive otherwise).

"I mean, c'mon, Viva Pinata, a game with massive marketing, didn't sell worth a damn to the "sophisticated" 360 audience, despite near-universal praise--is that a sign that 360 owners are a bunch of casual ignoramuses that can't get their heads around a 'gardening' sim? Of course not. So let's please stop trying to micro-analyze one game out of hundreds and using it as the poster child for why good, non-1st party, games can't sell on Wii. (Everyone frequenting this site knows this is nonsense, and yet some of you just can't let it go because it's the only scab you have left to pick at after all your other "Wii will phail1!!1" straw men arguments have been put to the torch.)" - exindguy on Boom Blocks

Around the Network

final fantasy have been a ATB for long time,
enemy will keep attacking you even if you don't attack

ffx being a exception.

from the times of ff6 being that way.

i can't stand wrpg, they look like something out a BBC or any american TV series.
hell they can turn Heroes, or x-files into a RPG and it will have the same effect.

dtewi said:
If you insult anything that can be remotely related to Kingdom Hearts II, I will mail you an envelope full of Anthrax and watch you die a very slow, painful death.

Grow up kid.

I barely started playing JRPG but I like em and its like asking why do you like shooters, racers and fighters....because they like em

too add something again..
IMO hypes versus sales always dissappoints with JRPG's except maybe FF

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Around the Network

Jrpg:s are overrated, but still good games. :)

the main problem with JRPG's is they're too much like watching a game being played and not enough like actually playing a game. When you attack by selecting menu options it's just not interesting. Especially when there is very little strategy or challenge involved.

Grandia 2 was a great example of a game that implemented a fantastic combat system, where you really had to plan out your moves. However they ruined it by making the game far too easy. Every JRPG is the same, way too easy or way too simple.

Help! I'm stuck in a forum signature!

Garcian Smith said:
Soriku said:
kirby007 said:
Stats87 said:
Why do I like them?

Because they are awesome

/end thread

thats the end of your input not the end of the thread

Look kirby, I can do the same:

Why all the hype for WRPGs? Why does anyone like them?

IMO, they are boring and have space marine-like characters in them LOLZ!!1!!

If you like the story, go watch a movie ROFL.lolz.

So tell me why do you like them? ( or why not )

Name one WRPG where the main character is a space marine.

Mass Effect?

kirby007 said:
too add something again..
IMO hypes versus sales always dissappoints with JRPG's except maybe FF

That's true but that is the publisher's fault, not the gamers'.  The publishers aren't even trying to market their JRPGs except for Square-Enix.  It is totally understandable fore Atlus and NIS America since they are small publishers.  The main offender here is Namco.

Real time RPG's are fun. Turn based RPG's are so out dated.