By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - JRPG's are overrated?!

^^ and will remain like that for a long time. Is too hard to make a perfectly balanced story for an RPG

Around the Network
the_bloodwalker said:

^^ and will remain like that for a long time. Is too hard to make a perfectly balanced story for an RPG

Exactly.  Look at Lost Odyssey, we learn some things about the world but the game is way more about the characters than the world the game takes place in.

I could no longer play turn-based RPGs when I realized that I was playing the human equivalent of "time release" fish food pellets.

The only reason I was not able to see the next chunk of storyline was because the number next to my characters' names (aka their levels) wasn't high enough.

So in essence, the game was holding the story hostage until I put myself through enough mundane boredom that it deemed me worthy of seeing it, and that really sucks.

I make exceptions for RPGs like Tales games (especially the multiplayer ones) because it's live-action combat, meaning skill actually factors into your progress. But the TB-RPGs which just require you to not let your characters die before you feed them a healing item on their turn are really just time-release plotlines.

I mean, it's impossible to NOT finish the game, so long as you put in enough time grinding random monster attacks (another horrible facet of JRPGs).

If you like JRPGs, fine: that's your thing and don't let me dissuade you from it. But once I made this connection, I could never play them again, and I used to really like them, too.

I still love games like Secret of Mana, Tales and any other RPG where skill and reflex can mean the difference between success and failure.

"I mean, c'mon, Viva Pinata, a game with massive marketing, didn't sell worth a damn to the "sophisticated" 360 audience, despite near-universal praise--is that a sign that 360 owners are a bunch of casual ignoramuses that can't get their heads around a 'gardening' sim? Of course not. So let's please stop trying to micro-analyze one game out of hundreds and using it as the poster child for why good, non-1st party, games can't sell on Wii. (Everyone frequenting this site knows this is nonsense, and yet some of you just can't let it go because it's the only scab you have left to pick at after all your other "Wii will phail1!!1" straw men arguments have been put to the torch.)" - exindguy on Boom Blocks

Smash_Brother said:
I could no longer play turn-based RPGs when I realized that I was playing the human equivalent of "time release" fish food pellets.

The only reason I was not able to see the next chunk of storyline was because the number next to my characters' names (aka their levels) wasn't high enough.

So in essence, the game was holding the story hostage until I put myself through enough mundane boredom that it deemed me worthy of seeing it, and that really sucks.

I make exceptions for RPGs like Tales games (especially the multiplayer ones) because it's live-action combat, meaning skill actually factors into your progress. But the TB-RPGs which just require you to not let your characters die before you feed them a healing item on their turn are really just time-release plotlines.

I mean, it's impossible to NOT finish the game, so long as you put in enough time grinding random monster attacks (another horrible facet of JRPGs).

If you like JRPGs, fine: that's your thing and don't let me dissuade you from it. But once I made this connection, I could never play them again.

In Lost Odyssey, grinding is almost impossible since all of the areas have a level cap. You have to think of an actual strategy to win battles(including random ones). This is something other Turn Based RPGs should do.

Riachu said:

In Lost Odyssey, grinding is almost impossible since all of the areas have a level cap. You have to think of an actual strategy to win battles(including random ones). This is something other Turn Based RPGs should do.

Haven't played it, but that sounds like a huge improvement over most TBRPGs.

DQ8 actually forced you to grind before you could defeat certain bosses. No wonder it had so many hours of gameplay...

"I mean, c'mon, Viva Pinata, a game with massive marketing, didn't sell worth a damn to the "sophisticated" 360 audience, despite near-universal praise--is that a sign that 360 owners are a bunch of casual ignoramuses that can't get their heads around a 'gardening' sim? Of course not. So let's please stop trying to micro-analyze one game out of hundreds and using it as the poster child for why good, non-1st party, games can't sell on Wii. (Everyone frequenting this site knows this is nonsense, and yet some of you just can't let it go because it's the only scab you have left to pick at after all your other "Wii will phail1!!1" straw men arguments have been put to the torch.)" - exindguy on Boom Blocks

Around the Network
konnichiwa said:
JaggedSac said:

Buttonmashing?? I have played a good bit and don't recall button mashing. Dynasty Warriors is not considered a JRPG.  The story is usually good and building a powerful party is pretty fun as well.

KH is a button smasher.....

Yay for agreement!!

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Smash_Brother said:
Riachu said:

DQ8 actually forced you to grind before you could defeat certain bosses. No wonder it had so many hours of gameplay...

Not only is grinding "impossible" in LO, it is completely unnecessary. That game is so easy!

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Smash_Brother said:
Riachu said:

QFT

I didn't like DQVIII that much.  It was a good game, it just wasn't my cup of tea.  I am more into the story heavy JRPGs.  Unforunately, RPGs have evolved even more that what people tend to think which is why DQVIII's grinding was tedious.

outlawauron said:
Smash_Brother said:
Riachu said:

Not only is grinding "impossible" in LO, it is completely unnecessary. That game is so easy!

LO is not too easy but it isn't too difficult neither.  I would put it somewhere in the middle.  Winning battles just takes a matter of careful thinking.

Soriku said:
outlawauron said:
konnichiwa said:
JaggedSac said:

Buttonmashing?? I have played a good bit and don't recall button mashing. Dynasty Warriors is not considered a JRPG. The story is usually good and building a powerful party is pretty fun as well.

KH is a button smasher.....

Yay for agreement!!

And other games aren't? O_o You mash buttons in other games. I'd classify KH as a "Not enough button usage" game since all you really need is X and triangle. That's why I'd love KH3 on the Wii - it's likely that they'd add more diversity due to the Wii's controls :>

When they mean button masher, they mean that you press the same button a lot without using the other buttons. Even so, Kingdom Hearts I and II were great games and among my favorite JRPGs.

EDIT:Sorry for making three posts in a row