By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - JRPG's are overrated?!

ItsaMii said:
JRPGs are over rated. Especially modern JRPGs. However, that doesn`t mean your taste in games is any better.

I have played dozens of JRPGs last generation and even so I can count the good ones in a single hand. For every masterpiece there were 7 games that should not be made at all.

Just out of curiosity: could you list the ones you liked and which ones you hated?  How are JRPGs overrated?  They don't sell as well as shooters.

Around the Network

since when is KH a RPG?

''Hadouken!''

Ajax said:
since when is KH a RPG?

Lol are you serious?

ItsaMii said:
JRPGs are over rated. Especially modern JRPGs. However, that doesn`t mean your taste in games is any better.

I have played dozens of JRPGs last generation and even so I can count the good ones in a single hand. For every masterpiece there were 7 games that should not be made at all.

Everything in life is like that; for example, for every pretty girl there are many not pretty girls. It not realistic to expect every girl to be stunning or 1 out of 2 or 3, like it's unrealistic to expect every RPG or 1 out of 2 or 3 to be a masterpiece; there will always be more things you don't like, than you like.

''Hadouken!''

Riachu said:
Words Of Wisdom said:

I like turn-based battle systems because most all action-based battle systems are clunky with poor cameras and even worse controls.

I'd rather an action game with RPG elements than an RPG with action elements.

So you hate Star Ocean, Tales and Kingdom Hearts?  I like that developers are putting RPG elements in some of their games.  It seems that people seem to like to play games with RPG elements even if they don't like RPGs.

Tales games have some of the most attrocious cameras of any RPG system ever made and they get even worse when you decide you wan to have more than one person playing.  You also have really awkward movement in say Tales of Symphonia making it even worse.  You can move at or away from an enemy, but that's really it.  Let's not even get into the handheld or older games where your character is permanently set on the Semi-Auto "I run back and forth" setting.

Star Ocean's system isn't any better.  At least in Tales you can always see the enemy on the screen.  In Star Ocean, unless you're right next to the enemy... don't expect to see it at all.  The camera just loves to zoom in on your character at random times.  Star Ocean also has the lovely delay on attacks where if you push the button it might be a second or longer till your attack gets executed.  At least Tales gets the "I push the button, something happens" concept down.

Conversely, games like Kingdom Hearts, God of War, and others are more inline with what I'd like to see control-wise.  You controlled a character and it handled well.  They also had RPG elements (leveling, orb/magic leveling...etc).  Gimme another Kingdom Hearts-style game over Tales of Shitty Battle Systems any day.

Around the Network

Do you consider Zelda a RPG?

''Hadouken!''

Ajax said:

The main focus of Zelda is on exploration, puzzle solving, and combat in that order.  Story in most Zelda games is just a golden mcguffin to get Link motivated to go out and do the other stuff.  For those reasons, it's classified as an adventure game and not an RPG.

Ajax said:

No Zelda is an action-adventure. Even though the action rpg genre is a subgenre of action adventures, they are still very different. Some do consider Zelda an rpg though.

Edit: @ WoW What are your opinions on mana games?

"why does anyone like them?"

I don't like JPRG

sc94597 said:
Ajax said:

No Zelda is an action-adventure. Even though the action rpg genre is a subgenre of action adventures, they are still very different. Some do consider Zelda an rpg though.

Edit: @ WoW What are your opinions on mana games?

I love Seiken Densetsu II and III.  The rest (that I've played) are poo.

Of course, the story in SDIII in more along the lines of a Zelda story.  It starts strong and then pretty much goes away for a majority of the game.  It's like "Okay, you know the scoop... now go defeat the 8 doodads of whatchamacallit" which is very reminiscent of Zelda.

SDII was much better in the story area though.  ^_^